Reload this Page >

Banks in Abu Dhabi

Banks in Abu Dhabi

Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

bashiraad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Banks in Abu Dhabi

Hi,

Question for UK expats in Abu Dhabi. Which banks would you recommend opening an account with?

Do I go with a local one or an international bank such as HSBC?

Thanks
Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banks in Abu Dhabi

Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank is good. I know a lot of people who use NBAD as they have some sort of arrangement with Nat West in UK. Personally I would avoid HSBC.

Last edited by soukie; Sep 11th 2013 at 6:22 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bashiraad
Hi,

Question for UK expats in Abu Dhabi. Which banks would you recommend opening an account with?

Do I go with a local one or an international bank such as HSBC?

Thanks
adcb avoid hsbc like the plaque
Old Sep 12th 2013, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

NBAD good
Old Sep 12th 2013, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

I was originally with NBAD but changed to ADCB a few years ago and am very happy with ADCB.

I had issues with NBAD but frankly they've all got their issues. I've never heard anything good about HSBC though.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

I had issues with ADCB when I had a car loan with them back in 2006 and vouched never to use them again.

They failed to accept a couple of the 36 cheques handed to them at the start due to 'signature irregularities' and didn't notify me until the end of the term and charged royally for it plus interest and requested an additional cheque. I didn't have a clue and disputed it and was told if I didn't pay up I'd be breaking the law blah blah.

I assume this signature irregularities thing is a common ruse to get some additional fees out of the customer
Old Sep 12th 2013, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
I had issues with ADCB when I had a car loan with them back in 2006 and vouched never to use them again.

They failed to accept a couple of the 36 cheques handed to them at the start due to 'signature irregularities' and didn't notify me until the end of the term and charged royally for it plus interest and requested an additional cheque. I didn't have a clue and disputed it and was told if I didn't pay up I'd be breaking the law blah blah.

I assume this signature irregularities thing is a common ruse to get some additional fees out of the customer
Which bank were the cheques drawn on?
Old Sep 12th 2013, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pongo
Which bank were the cheques drawn on?
Griffin Savers from Midland Bank
Old Sep 12th 2013, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

NBAD good
nbad and adcb my choices.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

no it was stupid back then that you had to sign so many cheques, of course the last ones will be a different signature if you are doing 24 or 36 etc, we had this issue but they told us when we handed in all the cheques at the beg so had to redone another 1 etc.... we have always had no issues with them.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Maybe I've been lucky, but HSBC have been OK for me - not great, but not as bad as many organisations in this country. Lots of my colleagues bank with ADCB, and lots of them have major complaints about ADCB, though some seem content. Some have moved to NBAD, and most of them are happier with NBAD.

I think the bottom line is that most of the banks here are pretty useless... expect that and you won't be disappointed.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by archie159
Maybe I've been lucky, but HSBC have been OK for me - not great, but not as bad as many organisations in this country. Lots of my colleagues bank with ADCB, and lots of them have major complaints about ADCB, though some seem content. Some have moved to NBAD, and most of them are happier with NBAD.

I think the bottom line is that most of the banks here are pretty useless... expect that and you won't be disappointed.
usally every moan about banks is often to do with hsbc.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by busybee2
usally every moan about banks is often to do with hsbc.
Maybe in your circles, but I repeat what I said - I know as many expats (and I work with several hundred) with ADCB problems as with other banks, including HSBC. None are great.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

bashiraad is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the info guys. I will do some research on what each bank provides and then decide
Old Sep 13th 2013, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the air miles options on the cc too. We use adcb and nbad. Have heard 4 or 5 horror stories with hsbc from immediate circle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.