Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Which Bank for primary checking account is best for an American moving to AD?

Which Bank for primary checking account is best for an American moving to AD?

Old Oct 21st 2014, 11:37 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Bank for primary checking account is best for an American moving to AD?

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Actually norways oil is in serious decline, the two shell fields I work on there are virtually finished and they don't own any more!
But at least they have squirreled away a massive fortune. Unlike UK which has pissed North sea oil profits up against the wall.
Secondly Mike. What banks would you recommend a Brit moving to AD to go for..? Ease of opening etc, can it be done from UK before leaving like I did with an Aussie account? Cheers
AFAIK you cannot open a proper account in UAE without a work visa. HSBC have a global account so you can slosh your money around. Meow has answered several posts on this subject.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 11:53 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Bank for primary checking account is best for an American moving to AD?

Actually norways oil is in serious decline, the two shell fields I work on there are virtually finished and they don't own any more!

Secondly Mike. What banks would you recommend a Brit moving to AD to go for..? Ease of opening etc, can it be done from UK before leaving like I did with an Aussie account? Cheers
The decline isn't news, but the people in the know are saying that there is plenty oil/gas there although it requires a different approach and new technology.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 12:12 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

This is definitely targeted at anoraks, but I wouldn't get too excited about Norway running out of oil anytime soon..

It will make your brain hurt
Old Oct 21st 2014, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

mdoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Tramps i still havent moved to AD yet I will be going in a couple of months. I probably worded the question wrong but you get what I was tryinh to say I figured figured there may have been a bank that was better for USD rates or that was also in the US as when I went for my short visit I did not see a citi bank in AD.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 12:20 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by mdoe
Tramps i still havent moved to AD yet I will be going in a couple of months. I probably worded the question wrong but you get what I was tryinh to say I figured figured there may have been a bank that was better for USD rates or that was also in the US as when I went for my short visit I did not see a citi bank in AD.
Citi has only a handful of branches so not surprising you didn't see any.
The dirham is linked to the dollar so the rate is the same everywhere by the way..
Old Oct 21st 2014, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mdoe
When I was in OZ I just opened a regular bank account and used a money transfer company as their rates were better than the banks were!
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

We found Citibank handy in that the ATM at the branch near Wafi and Dewa HQ had an option to withdraw US$ bills which saved having to visit a money exchange when making a rush overseas trip and needing some walking around cash