Bad treatment by Qatar employer

Bad treatment by Qatar employer

Old Feb 11th 2014, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

DaveSand is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bad treatment by Qatar employer

BELOW ARE MY REASONS FOR LEAVING QATAR

Dear
I got home last week and have had time to reflect on my experiences at Future Engineering Company W.L.L. (FEC) and feel that Mr. Saeed the co-owner has got off rather too lightly for what he actually put me through after his promise of paradise, and I don’t intend to let this happen to anyone else, for all the things that I witnessed and went on behind the scenes to make my life and that of his workforce HELL, whilst working for this company. I thought I would let you know that it is my intention as the ex workshop manager to report him and his company to the relevant authorities here in the UK, in Qatar and all the countries that he recruits labour from for his total mistreating of me and most importantly his current workforce who are still forced to endure what I actually managed to escape. I am also thinking of circulating my experiences the media here in the UK. I myself was treat like nothing short of an animal after being promised paradise. I also feel that the English version of my contract was not adhered to and the rules where made up to suit. I cannot speak for the version in Arabic, as I was not allowed to have it translated when I asked and was assured it was exactly the same as the English version.

I feel I need to air my grievances to highlight all aspects of why I am highly upset and why I intend to go forward to the relevant authorities here in the UK and Countries where labour is sourced for this company, this hopefully shall prevent any further mistreatment and breaches of basic human rights by getting this employer on some kind of blacklists if they exist. I am also highly upset to see this vacancy advertised again by PROTEC. I would advise that for your own conscience do not send other clients or deal with this company again and seek action to recover your costs incurred. Although I have seen this vacancy advertised again and would advise on not sending anyone else to endure this.

I would like to add that on a whole Qatar is a most wonderful country and my experiences outside of work where some of the best I have ever had and am ever likely to have

I intend to seek to be recompensed for personal losses and entitlements to expenses for food, transport and time stolen from me by (FEC) which are listed below.

As the food was totally un-edible and I couldn’t cook in the conditions (see pictures) and no utensils where provided, I had to buy my own QAR15 per day @ 80 days = QAR 1800

As transport was never provided after work and a car was never provided as promised Taxis had to be used to do basic things. QAR 60 per day @ 80 days = 4800
I was forced to pay my own qualification attestation at QAR 2200

When it was mutually agreed that I would leave I was told that I could have 2 days gardening leave which was deducted QAR 1000 per day @ QAR 2000

I also had 2800 deducted from my salary for driving lessons and test which I was not informed about.

This totals QAR 10800

My feelings are that this should be double for what I endured

I never actually received a full salary after all the deductions, if I worked till 10 PM at night I was not compensated but if I left only one hour early, money was deducted.

On the next pages are my main reasons for tendering my resignation, which are mainly my living conditions. Also I feel that Mr. Saeed deliberately took some kind of perverse pleasure in making my life and the life of others difficult and that he also had a big hand in slowing down all of my resident permit (RP) and driving procedures. I passed the Qatari driving test whilst I was there (15/12/2013) and was promised a car. I was then told that I had to wait until I had my RP was ready until they would issue my driving license. I found out myself on my last day that a temporary license could have been issued straight after my test. Which I actually purchased to prove this (See Picture)

I was picked up at the airport and dropped off at the villa to find I was not living alone as suggested, but in the middle of a badly run down poor Indian and Filipino workers compound, The villa absolutely stank and was crawling with insects, which I later found out to be cockroaches.

The villa was equipped with absolutely filthy, torn, stained and mismatched furniture and what looked like the remains of last nights supper was left on the table crawling with insects.

The P.R.O. then left me there without a clue where I was with no form of contact and no safe water to drink. I wasn’t sure if I could drink the water and didn’t know where to get this and there was not even a kettle to boil water to make it safe, I ventured out of the villa to find that I was basically in the middle of nowhere. So I had a look round the villa to find this cooker which I was not sure if it was gas safe or not and the disgusting hygiene standards (I decided to take a photo below) My thoughts where “Oh my god what have I let myself in for”

The Kitchen was lacking in everything basic, there where no knives and forks, no cups, no kettle. I opened the fridge to discover even more cockroaches inside.

I took a further look at my room and realised there was no hot water in my bathroom. (This remained the same throughout my stay even with several reminders).

The shower was hanging off the wall and the toilet was leaking from the bottom onto the floor and there was no plug in the sink. It stank of ammonia.

The bedroom was the most basic with a small table a wardrobe and a bed with linen that was too small, there where also no curtains and this stank also. The room was shaded most of the time and was freezing, when I asked for a heater I was refused.

To add to this is was expected to try and eat slops for my food from a rusty metal plate with no cutlery provided (see photo) this consisted mainly of curried bones or a fish head and rice which are totally unacceptable to a western pallet and in fact I spent my first week poorly after eating this and took a day off which I wasn’t paid for and I was treat like a liar. Thus I spent a fortune on food, transport and going to get food as the nearest shop was at least 2 miles.

Transport was promised in my contract. Which was often a filthy pick up truck with a driver who didn’t speak a word of English and on most occasions got hopelessly lost (I believe you experienced this John-Paul)
I was often left waiting for an hour for transport after I finished work.

I complained about some of the above on my first meeting with Mr. Saeed and was assured this was only temporary.

Two months later I was invited into the office with Mr. Saeed to discuss my progress with my six monthly targets which he indicated he was not happy with, I reminded him again about my living situation and told him I wasn’t happy and asked him what he wanted me to do, I was told that he thought I should leave, to which I agreed as I could no longer live and work in these conditions and no compromise at all was offered.

I could actually go into the way I was treat in the workplace with Mr. Saeed shouting and being unreasonable towards me and others on several occasions and the fact that a normal day was started with Mr. Saeed actually spending his first two hours shouting and screaming at his managers and undermining any good work which they thought they had done and making them feel worthless.

This only really scratches the surface of a terrible 80 days working and being involved with FEC I have many more photo’s and evidence to prove my point as I made a point of keeping my camera in my pocket at all times.

I am could also mention the total disregard for safety and the workers in the workplace and my worries that somebody will be killed, one prime example is a lathe machine where no safety stop switch is evident and the isolator is about 6 feet away from the machine. The operator was injured whilst I was there, this was after I recommended repairs which fell on deaf ears.

On a positive note I did manage to get 100% conformity on an internal audit before I left (the previous one had 4 non conformity reports logged) I also put FEC in contact with one of the top 10 biggest engineering companies in the world and believe they are starting to work together.

I look forward to your response on these matters and really hope no other British citizen or human being should ever have to endure these conditions.

Yours Sincerely,
Old Feb 11th 2014, 4:08 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad treatment by Qatar employer

Be grateful you got out when you did. You may not believe this, but things could have got worse.

Never return to Qatar as your ex-employer may have put a civil court case out on you for e.g. stealing money from the company. You will never know, and it won't matter if it is complete B/S, but you will arrive at the airport and either get through or get arrested.

Stay away.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the press!

Topic is en vogue so you may have some interest

I thought you were describing that holiday park in Cleethorpes
Old Feb 12th 2014, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Qatar seems to be in the news worldwide at the moment with the world cup.
The poor TCN 's are treated just like you. Sad story and hope you have got your life back in shape now.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flares
Go to the press!

Topic is en vogue so you may have some interest

I thought you were describing that holiday park in Cleethorpes
Fitties?
Old Feb 12th 2014, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Thorpe Park adjacent to The Fitties

I don't believe Dave Sand is a real Grimbarian...

a fish head and rice which are totally unacceptable to a western pallet and in fact I spent my first week poorly after eating this
Old Feb 12th 2014, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

"Before you sign anything you should be 100% on the money you know what you're walking into here with a contract because once you're here it's very difficult to change up .

Benefits within contracts are very very important , the standard of accommodation or leave rotation or any other specific could make your life here a lot easier or a lot more difficult .

Ask the question now , you wouldnt want to be bunked up with your Syrian workshop foreman in a 40ft container with a dodgy AC "

I posted this to you on Nov 2nd 2013 . Hindsight is a wonderful thing but the way your posts evolved it was only going to end up one way .
Old Feb 12th 2014, 6:34 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Tough break on the job DaveSand, however I wouldn't waste my time trying to pursue or get some kind of payback on the company. Just let it go and chalk it down to experience.
You'll be better armed now to deal with the next opportunity.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Take the positives - you must have lost some weight?

I want to see the photos ...
Old Feb 12th 2014, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
"Before you sign anything you should be 100% on the money you know what you're walking into here with a contract because once you're here it's very difficult to change up .

Benefits within contracts are very very important , the standard of accommodation or leave rotation or any other specific could make your life here a lot easier or a lot more difficult .

Ask the question now , you wouldnt want to be bunked up with your Syrian workshop foreman in a 40ft container with a dodgy AC "

I posted this to you on Nov 2nd 2013 . Hindsight is a wonderful thing but the way your posts evolved it was only going to end up one way .
EXACTLY. It was crystal clear from the beginning (for those with ME experience) how this one was going to turn out. Sorry Dave...and all those aspiring to come to Qatar...LISTEN to those who tell you of the pitfalls! They are NOT making things up. I understand that many people can't imagine this can happen...LISTEN to those who know! Qatar is not an adventure or experience...if you are with the wrong company, it is utter hell!
Old Feb 12th 2014, 3:27 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey DaveSand, sorry to hear about your ordeal, but this is an all to familiar story from a Western expat having worked for an Arab run company in Qatar. You lasted 80 days, so at least you gave it a good shot, and should be proud of that. I'd say the vast majority of Western expats are gone within 18 months.

Shabby housing, crap hygiene, poor working conditions, bad management are all the norm in Qatar, unless you are fortunate enough to be a white collar professional working for a UK or US company, or a Government organisation, even then it will be tough at times.

You've had really good advice posted above, don't waste your time looking backwards and being bitter. You'll appreciate your next employer all the better!

Chin up DaveSand, at least you gave it a good go.

[J]
Old Feb 12th 2014, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Tough break on the job DaveSand, however I wouldn't waste my time trying to pursue or get some kind of payback on the company. Just let it go and chalk it down to experience.
You'll be better armed now to deal with the next opportunity.
I agree with you - DaveSand you need to move on and concentrate on future opportunities before you seek revenge.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

DaveSand is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks To all Who Commented. I was originally told that the post wouldn't be allowed and have just checked in a month later. Some really heart warming supportive comments THANKS all and by the way I am a true Cod head from Grimsby and spent my childhood living on the Fitties in the Summer as my Gran had the cafe and owned a few Caravans. Fish heads? I draw the line at that and we dont eat bottom feeders here in Grimsby IE Cod as it is full of ring worms. I am not going to crack the joke about southerners eating Cod because they cant spell haddock. HA HA