Reload this Page >

Automatic Driving License

Automatic Driving License

Old Jul 11th 2011, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

MuzD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Automatic Driving License

Hi All,

I have an automatic driving license. When moving to the ME, how can it be converted to a local license.

Thanks
Old Jul 11th 2011, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Automatic Driving License

I didn't know there were separate ones. I took my license in the us and converted in the uk with no problem. Got an international license before I moved to the me..no problems. The us is obviously prone to automatic vehicles like.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Paracletus

We have a manual license and an automatic license.

Manual license holders can drive both manual and automatic vehicles. However, the latter can only drive automatic.

I am hoping it shouldn't be a problem but it is best to know for sure.

Thanks
Old Jul 11th 2011, 2:04 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Chances are they won't spot it. There was a recent anectdote of a young lady getting a full AD licence on the basis of her provisional UK licence. Besides, the vast majority of cars out here are auto anyway. Good luck.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
I didn't know there were separate ones. I took my license in the us and converted in the uk with no problem.
How long ago was that? As they haven't done that for years now, because of the lack of a way to see if someone took their test in a manual or not.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Chances are they won't spot it. There was a recent anectdote of a young lady getting a full AD licence on the basis of her provisional UK licence. Besides, the vast majority of cars out here are auto anyway. Good luck.
Cool - I hope she then went to the UK and drove legally on her UAE license.

I couldn't find my UK one and hired a car quite OK with the UAE one.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

I couldn't find my UK one and hired a car quite OK with the UAE one.

You did the correct thing - as a non Uk resident, your UK license is not technically valid to present when hiring a car.

But also bear in mind that the UAE license doesn't show a start date and the hire car company might ask to see some proof of this, i.e. your UK license.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
You did the correct thing - as a non Uk resident, your UK license is not technically valid to present when hiring a car.

But also bear in mind that the UAE license doesn't show a start date and the hire car company might ask to see some proof of this, i.e. your UK license.

A number of licences are exchangeable when you get here. Depends upon which country drivers licence you have.

An Abu Dhabi licence might not show a start date, but for sure a Dubai one does..............mine says 01/07/85!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

I have the pink british Photocard license.

The photo should expire next year, I am thinking of calling in and saying I have lost it and send in a new picture to make the new pink card last longer
(We have to update our pics every 10 years, mine is due an update next October, they don't issue a new card unless you a resident, if I am not here next year, its better to get one done sooner)
Old Jul 13th 2011, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
A number of licences are exchangeable when you get here. Depends upon which country drivers licence you have.

An Abu Dhabi licence might not show a start date, but for sure a Dubai one does..............mine says 01/07/85!
Abu Dhabi one shows a start date.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:39 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
Originally Posted by Brains1983
Abu Dhabi one shows a start date.
The UAE licences show their issue date but not the date you gained entitlement - on the UK licences, the former is on the front and the latter (broken down by category) on the back.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
The UAE licences show their issue date but not the date you gained entitlement - on the UK licences, the former is on the front and the latter (broken down by category) on the back.

That's what the guy at the Sixt desk wanted to see - the date of entitlement. Sorry I didn't make it clear before.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bob
How long ago was that? As they haven't done that for years now, because of the lack of a way to see if someone took their test in a manual or not.
Got my license in 96 in automatic. But it had no 'automatic' or 'manual' license printed on it anywhere and was never asked. Simples.

Last edited by Paracletus; Jul 13th 2011 at 3:00 pm. Reason: Woohaa..can't spell license today.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 4:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
Got my license in 96 in automatic. But it had no 'automatic' or 'manual' license printed on it anywhere and was never asked. Simples.
Aye, the reciprocal thing with the US, they stopped that around 2000 or there abouts. Partly because they couldn't tell if you had gotten a test in a manual or not and partly because there's no standard of driving, and most of it is pretty low to get a license.

Got to take a full test now, no switching a US license for a UK one. Though you've got 12 months to do it