Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Attestation of American Diplomas

Attestation of American Diplomas

Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of
Default Attestation of American Diplomas

Hi,

I am moving in May to Dubai to start my new job. I will bring wife and new born so I would like to sort out everything well in advance to make the landing smooth.

I am in the UK but I did my Ph D in the US. Can I attest my degree here or should I do it in the US? If I can only do it in the US, where I should go in New York or DC?

I know I could do this in Dubai but I was told it would take at least 3 or 4 weeks and I cannot afford waiting that long.

Cheers.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Attestation of American Diplomas

Gosh I always knew that an Ivy League Ph D was nothing in comparison to one from Oxbridge... but not answer at all... sad.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would assume your diploma has to be attested by American authorities. It's a complex step, but someone at your university will have experience with this kind of request from other international students.

Here's the chain:

1. get certificate from the registrar's office of your university, attesting to your enrolment at that university and the degree attained.
2. get a person IN THE REGISTRAR'S office to certify that degree. The person will be a public notary, and the office will have at least one public notary.
3. The local town/city/municipality/county must certify that public notary's certification of your degree (attest that the public notary is indeed a qualified public notary). The certified document you receive from the registrar must be taken to the local city hall and certified by whoever the appropriate clerk is (the registrar's office will tell you where to go).
4. The state must then certify the town clerk's certification of the public notary's certification of your document. Which means the initial document, which will have the registrar's seal, the public notary's seal and the town clerk's seal all attached to it, has to be taken to the Secretary of State for the home state of your university, to once again be certified.
5. The STate Department in Washington DC has to certify the state's secretary of state's certification....

Ok, are you screaming?

Good.

Now, talk to your company's HR person. My own company HR's office helps people with obtaining certified documents from overseas, especially as we have employees from one country with degrees from other countries.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Now that read this answer... I rather do not know!

My HR said that companies can take care of this in Dubai but it would take 3 or 4 weeks time I will not have as I will be arriving with a baby who will need a pediatrician among other things.

I will try with the US and UAE embassies in London... otherwise I will visit the nice Smithonian museums in DC.

Cheers!
Old Nov 20th 2008, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

abe1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I would assume your diploma has to be attested by American authorities. It's a complex step, but someone at your university will have experience with this kind of request from other international students.

Here's the chain:

1. get certificate from the registrar's office of your university, attesting to your enrolment at that university and the degree attained.
2. get a person IN THE REGISTRAR'S office to certify that degree. The person will be a public notary, and the office will have at least one public notary.
3. The local town/city/municipality/county must certify that public notary's certification of your degree (attest that the public notary is indeed a qualified public notary). The certified document you receive from the registrar must be taken to the local city hall and certified by whoever the appropriate clerk is (the registrar's office will tell you where to go).
4. The state must then certify the town clerk's certification of the public notary's certification of your document. Which means the initial document, which will have the registrar's seal, the public notary's seal and the town clerk's seal all attached to it, has to be taken to the Secretary of State for the home state of your university, to once again be certified.
5. The STate Department in Washington DC has to certify the state's secretary of state's certification....

Ok, are you screaming?

Good.

Now, talk to your company's HR person. My own company HR's office helps people with obtaining certified documents from overseas, especially as we have employees from one country with degrees from other countries.

You can also use AMIDEAST (www.amideast.org). They do all of this for you in 2-3 weeks for a fee. I forget how much.