Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Attention please...

Attention please...

Old Jan 5th 2008, 9:40 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Attention please...

have a look at this...maybe there are some of you that are interested in participating...
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503605
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:04 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Attention please...

Originally Posted by MataHari
have a look at this...maybe there are some of you that are interested in participating...
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503605
I posted a little while back but hadn't heard from anyone so I thought I'd send this request again. I'm a radio reporter in the states, working for a business program called Marketplace. We're doing a big series on the Middle East, sending reporters to Egypt, Jordan, Dubai, etc. I'm going to Dubai in a week and will be there until January 27th. I'm desperately seeking expats who have property complaints -- be it properties they live/work in, or properties they bought to rent or flip.

If any of you can help me... or if you know anyone, or knows anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone... please, please call or write. I'm at [email protected] or [email protected]

Phone (in the US) is 781-643-4094 or (cell) 339-368-0300.

Interesting! but I haven't bought any property
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:09 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I posted a little while back but hadn't heard from anyone so I thought I'd send this request again. I'm a radio reporter in the states, working for a business program called Marketplace. We're doing a big series on the Middle East, sending reporters to Egypt, Jordan, Dubai, etc. I'm going to Dubai in a week and will be there until January 27th. I'm desperately seeking expats who have property complaints -- be it properties they live/work in, or properties they bought to rent or flip. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503605

If any of you can help me... or if you know anyone, or knows anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone... please, please call or write. I'm at [email protected] or [email protected]

Phone (in the US) is 781-643-4094 or (cell) 339-368-0300.

Interesting! but I haven't bought any property
the way I read it...that is not necessary...."be it properties they live/work in" he says....
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:29 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I nominate Border Reiver and Gareth to reprsent us
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I nominate Border Reiver and Gareth to reprsent us
Indie Girl seems pretty suitable to me.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Indie Girl seems pretty suitable to me.
Huh? I cause problems for the landlord, tis not the other way round
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:27 am
Just Joined

seancole is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Huh? I cause problems for the landlord, tis not the other way round
Hi everyone,

I'm the reporter who posted the original request. I should probably clarify a little. Basically the story is about people who have purchased property in Dubai, either to live/work in themselves or to rent/flip. I've been reading all of these horror stories about construction delays, shoddy workmanship, bureaucracy, etc. -- and I need to talk with people who have been dealing with those problems. For example, if there's anyone that's invested in one of the delayed Damac projects, or the Schon Properties developments that have been put off and put off, or anything like that, I'd love to speak with that person. Similarly, anyone who's moved into their place only to find cracks in the walls and other problems with the actual structure, that would be helpful too. Any leads would be most appreciated. Again, the best ways to reach me are at [email protected], 781-643-4094 (+ US country code) or after Jan. 12 at 050-379-5261.

Thanks so much and wishing everyone the best for 2008,

-- Sean.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seancole
Hi everyone,

I'm the reporter who posted the original request. I should probably clarify a little. Basically the story is about people who have purchased property in Dubai, either to live/work in themselves or to rent/flip. I've been reading all of these horror stories about construction delays, shoddy workmanship, bureaucracy, etc. -- and I need to talk with people who have been dealing with those problems. For example, if there's anyone that's invested in one of the delayed Damac projects, or the Schon Properties developments that have been put off and put off, or anything like that, I'd love to speak with that person. Similarly, anyone who's moved into their place only to find cracks in the walls and other problems with the actual structure, that would be helpful too. Any leads would be most appreciated. Again, the best ways to reach me are at [email protected], 781-643-4094 (+ US country code) or after Jan. 12 at 050-379-5261.

-- Sean.
Hi Sean,
You'll find plenty here:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=377

Just go to the relevant thread...
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:59 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by seancole
Hi everyone,

-- Sean.

You are going to be very busy !
Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't sound like it is going to be a particularly balanced piece of reporting to me. Anyway, I'm happy with all the properties I've purchased in Dubai so far- I've bought four and sold one. There haven't been any major snagging issues with any of them- I've had longer snagging lists with brand new properties in the UK. They have also all been ready for handover within about a month of the date I was given. So, delays yes but again I've seen worse in the UK.

However, there are some developers I just wouldn't touch (two have already been mentioned on this thread) and only 3 or 4 I would want to deal with. I don't do this as a business so what I invest I still look on as my "own money" and I'm very fussy about where it goes.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:07 am
Just Joined

seancole is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
Doesn't sound like it is going to be a particularly balanced piece of reporting to me. Anyway, I'm happy with all the properties I've purchased in Dubai so far- I've bought four and sold one. There haven't been any major snagging issues with any of them- I've had longer snagging lists with brand new properties in the UK. They have also all been ready for handover within about a month of the date I was given. So, delays yes but again I've seen worse in the UK.

However, there are some developers I just wouldn't touch (two have already been mentioned on this thread) and only 3 or 4 I would want to deal with. I don't do this as a business so what I invest I still look on as my "own money" and I'm very fussy about where it goes.
I'm so glad for these responses. Please keep them coming.

I probably made the report sound more sensationalist than it will be. I intend to interview someone at Damac as well, and/or other companies who have been criticized. And it would be great to speak with someone like you who has had good experiences. That is, I don't want to infer that the problemed transactions are representative of all property transactions in Dubai, just that those problems exist and to try to get at the reasons for them.

Thanks so much for your help thus far, everyone. I'm all ears for further advice and comments.

Yours,

-- Sean.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:19 am
Concierge

Sean I am going to speak to my friend, she has bought on the Marina and at International City - that was a 2 year delay! I am pretty sure she will be interested in taking part
Old Jan 7th 2008, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thunderbirds Are Go is on a distinguished road

I'm peeved today! I've had my limits...but today I'm really peeved!!

I just got an email from my prevous landlord who is charging me 3K AED for repanting the apartment, out of my security deposit. I lived in the aprtment for 1 year, and don't believe it requred painting, it was immaculate. So the landlord decded to do the work, charge me excessively, and tell me today, three weeks after I've vacated the apartment, and still awaiting my deposit.

These landlords really peeve me off!
Is this one for the rent committee to sort out?!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thunderbirds Are Go is on a distinguished road

sorry my keyboard "i" does not work that well. I meant repainting, and not repanting! (if that is a real word?)
Old Jan 7th 2008, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thunderbirds Are Go
sorry my keyboard "i" does not work that well. I meant repainting, and not repanting! (if that is a real word?)
Sinners repant?

Too bad about your deposit, btw.... Hope he has a pucker receipt for it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.