Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Arriving Doha - Sept

Arriving Doha - Sept

Old Sep 4th 2013, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arriving Doha - Sept

Originally Posted by JB281183
OK so after 4 days I dont want to be dragged into the negative just yet. Lets give it time.

Thanks for the advice on the banks guys, everyone seems to have different experiences - Can you open any accounts without your RP?
You can definitely get a basic deposit account with most banks without a RP , some will let you open an account on the strength of a company headed letter and then they will issue with credit on receipt of the RP if needed .

Banks are pretty crap here , expect loads of stupidity but just hold tight and take a few deep breaths , it will seem pretty antiquated but it does work eventually .

Im with the HSBC but even with the Premier account there's hassel , it's just that i can't be bothered with more hassel changing it !!!!
Old Sep 8th 2013, 6:07 am
Just Joined

JB281183 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again people

First weekend out the way, and i found it quite enjoyable (i'm still green I know)

Next thing on the agenda is places to live and a car?

A couple of the guys at work use Oasis, but seem to have issues with them. Ideally, i'd like a VW Golf or similar (and by similar I dont mean a Kia?!) Anyone know where I might find such and any good place to go?

Thanks
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again people

First weekend out the way, and i found it quite enjoyable (i'm still green I know)

A couple of the guys at work use Oasis, but seem to have issues with them. Ideally, i'd like a VW Golf or similar (and by similar I dont mean a Kia?!) Anyone know where I might find such and any good place to go?

Thanks
I used oasis and had no issues
Dealt with an expat and things ran smoothly

Try the car websites dubbizle,caresmar etc
Old Sep 9th 2013, 7:37 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again people

Thanks
If you have feedback on issues with Oasis I would be very happy to know about it and have some words............
Old Sep 9th 2013, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by britexpat76
If you have feedback on issues with Oasis I would be very happy to know about it and have some words............
Sorry, i dont know the details, a guy just walked through the office the other day as we were talking about it and intimated he has some problems with them.

He;s actually leaving soon, so i dont know if i'll find out.

Am i right to assume you have an interest in said car rental company?
Old Sep 9th 2013, 11:29 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, i dont know the details, a guy just walked through the office the other day as we were talking about it and intimated he has some problems with them.

He;s actually leaving soon, so i dont know if i'll find out.

Am i right to assume you have an interest in said car rental company?
Rentals is nothing to do with me but I can make sure the right person looks after any expat............
Old Sep 9th 2013, 12:00 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

it's wedged with c-units I heard mate
Old Sep 9th 2013, 12:42 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
it's wedged with c-units I heard mate
I am glad to hear that my Saudi advertising plan is working!
Old Sep 9th 2013, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

niciwal is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok guys now we've had the good, the bad and the ugly of Doha and the car rentals, how about a drink on Friday night?
I would've been here 2 weeks then and not been out or met new people, so I think it's time I became brave!
Any suggestions?
Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Rentals is nothing to do with me but I can make sure the right person looks after any expat............

A pointer to the right person would be greatly appreciated
Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:46 am
Just Joined

downrodeo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey JB,
Was just reading through your posts - I'm likely to be moving to Doha next month and I'm pretty much in the same boat as you (single, late twenties, completely new to all this).

Just wanted to ask how you got on? Did you get a VW Golf in the end, and what sort of price are you paying? What part of town did you end up settling in, and would you recommend it? Again how much did you end up paying?

I'll be getting a monthly housing allowance (around 7k I think) on top of my salary, and I'm trying to do as much research ahead of time as possible.