Arriving in Doha

Old Aug 1st 2012, 7:38 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Arriving in Doha

We finally land in Doha on Sunday morning, with me starting work on Monday morning to get the visa process under ASAP.

Outside of this and given it is Ramadan, what will be the best order of sorting out the things you need. I would have thought that phone, driving license are the two first ones, especially as we won't be able to get the booze license yet!

Any thought would be appreciated just so we don't run around like headless chickens trying to do things we can't.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Arriving in Doha

Loose cotton underwear and deorderant would be top of the list.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:07 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Sorted, then what?
Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by P18PPS
Sorted, then what?
Forget Doha during Ramadan! People will 'Promise to Deliver' but will always 'Fail to Deliver!' - Work on that basis, and you will not go far wrong! Also remember that you need an Exit Visa to leave!
Old Aug 1st 2012, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Jacksie has a brilliant futureJacksie has a brilliant futureJacksie has a brilliant futureJacksie has a brilliant futureJacksie has a brilliant futureJacksie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by P18PPS
We finally land in Doha on Sunday morning, with me starting work on Monday morning to get the visa process under ASAP.

Outside of this and given it is Ramadan, what will be the best order of sorting out the things you need. I would have thought that phone, driving license are the two first ones, especially as we won't be able to get the booze license yet!

Any thought would be appreciated just so we don't run around like headless chickens trying to do things we can't.
The phone should be done almost on arrival as when I got mine they needed to see that I had a 2 month visa. Remember that most offices are shut in the afternoons. Good luck and enjoy your stay in Doha. You should also open a local bank account ASAP, most payments are all done on cards here.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 10:15 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

1, Unlock Phone at home - Saves you having to find somewhere here
2, Buy Sim Card at Airport QR50 with credit
3, Find taxi (Or your driver), Make sure they use the meter and know where home is - Before you get in.
4, Arrive Home
5, Get some shopping.

Other than that there is too many variables to give you good advice. What car are they giving you, pool or rental car etc. It makes a difference to what Licence you will need to start with.

Other than that there is nothing you can do until you get your ID card
Old Aug 1st 2012, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Patience of a saint and skin like a white rhino....
Old Aug 1st 2012, 4:16 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Fill in Form P85 and post to HMRC
Old Aug 1st 2012, 5:48 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Fill in Form P85 and post to HMRC
If you live in New Zealand?
Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

AirBender is an unknown quantity at this point

It took my work folks almost a week to book my medical. Going for it tomorrow.

So far have sorted the phone/blackberry, all new joiner forms and stuff at work. Also, just today signed the lease for a villa - my colleague offered to pay through his cheque (gave 2 post dated cheques as well) and I will pay him back when my salary is credited. Things are so weird in this place, but this is normal I am told.........
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Jacksie has a brilliant futureJacksie has a brilliant futureJacksie has a brilliant futureJacksie has a brilliant futureJacksie has a brilliant futureJacksie has a brilliant future

You are lucky we had to put down a year in advanced cheques. Glad that things are working out for you, good luck in your new home.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AirBender
It took my work folks almost a week to book my medical. Going for it tomorrow.

So far have sorted the phone/blackberry, all new joiner forms and stuff at work. Also, just today signed the lease for a villa - my colleague offered to pay through his cheque (gave 2 post dated cheques as well) and I will pay him back when my salary is credited. Things are so weird in this place, but this is normal I am told.........
This is the Middle East mate , everything is fu**ed up
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AirBender
Things are so weird in this place, but this is normal I am told.........
Had a saudi friend get his companies pay from a client paid into his account to hold..it was a rather substantial sum as well. **** it, I would have gone with it and disappeared.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

AirBender is an unknown quantity at this point

Utter ridiculous but hey this is how it works .....slowly getting to grips with it.......
Old Aug 7th 2012, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Just arrived in Doha --- take it easy it is ramadan. Go to the malls, walk the corniche have a few beers at the hotels, get to know some other expats if possible and observe observe observe till you are confident. In the end you will settle i but it is quite frustrating till you get your visa sorted out. After that you will have a visa ID Card and you can do many nice things, like open a bank account, get a Qatari Driving Licence etc...In ramadan things move at half pace.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.