Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Areas to live (Dubai)

Areas to live (Dubai)

Old Feb 11th 2016, 9:37 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Gosport
Posts: 227
khitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nice
Default Areas to live (Dubai)

I'm back after many years away from getting out of the Saudi Sand Pit. I'm looking at a school in Dubai and the package I've been preliminarily given seems far too low.


I know of housing agonies from my time in Riyadh and only just managed to get on a compound thanks to a kind fellow forumer.
My golden figure is 260k Dir/yr inc housing allowance. I can either accept their allowance or have them house me in a 2-bed apartment. I don't know at the moment where their apartment is located. I am married with an 11-month-old daughter.I am definitely going to be asking for more in terms of basic everything as I know the stress it causes people when moving to the UAE. Unfortunately for them, I am acutely aware that my life is not worth living if I have the same experience in Dubai as I did in Saudi with my wife and baby in tow. I would like to know where the best areas are in Dubai to live to allow us to socialise with other expats. My wife seems to be fine with apartments closer to the sea, but there are also new developments further our. I have ruled out Mirdif based on what I've read so far and the traffic issues. Sahara Meadows is closer to the school, but seems to be surrounded by sand and probably doesn't have the facilities, social life I would like my family to have.
Any advice would be appreciated. BTW we have a dog who would be coming with.
khitan004 is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2016, 9:56 am
  #2  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Dubai, working at Dust World Central
Posts: 3,706
mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to live (Dubai)

Second person that has enquired about Sahara Meadows. It is in the middle of nowhere with no transport or facilities. If you want to be out in the desert try Remraan, 2 bed property, ground floor with huge patio for about 95k. No school buses yet but you've got a couple of years.
mikewot is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2016, 10:09 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Gosport
Posts: 227
khitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nice
Default Re: Areas to live (Dubai)

Disappointing to hear about Sahara Meadows. Seems stupidity not to hava facilities on the development being out of the way. Remraan is not too far away from the Springs area (where the school is). I'm not too worried about schools just yet. We may not even still be there when we do have to start. The schooling package is far too low based on fees everywhere charges. Will have to enquire.
khitan004 is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2016, 11:07 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,210
DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to live (Dubai)

Your numbers are a bit off.

RemRaan 2-bedders are around 80-85K, not 95K. Asteco has a listing for 85k and given that it's Asteco that's the highest realistic price because it'll come with Asteco maintenance.

There's even a few listed at just under 80 in the high 70s. Prices tumbling? Bargain hard and you can probably get a 2-bedder for 75K.

Originally Posted by mikewot View Post
Second person that has enquired about Sahara Meadows. It is in the middle of nowhere with no transport or facilities. If you want to be out in the desert try Remraan, 2 bed property, ground floor with huge patio for about 95k. No school buses yet but you've got a couple of years.
Alternative cheaper place to live is Silicon Oasis, which is closer in and has more amenities.
DXBtoDOH is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2016, 11:09 am
  #5  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Dubai, working at Dust World Central
Posts: 3,706
mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to live (Dubai)

Two friends moving into Remraan and signing contracts. I think your prices are Dubizzle suck you in ones and not realistic.
mikewot is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2016, 11:35 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
mission's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,827
mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to live (Dubai)

Originally Posted by khitan004 View Post
I'm back after many years away from getting out of the Saudi Sand Pit. I'm looking at a school in Dubai and the package I've been preliminarily given seems far too low. I know of housing agonies from my time in Riyadh and only just managed to get on a compound thanks to a kind fellow forumer.My golden figure is 260k Dir/yr inc housing allowance. I can either accept their allowance or have them house me in a 2-bed apartment. I don't know at the moment where their apartment is located. I am married with an 11-month-old daughter.I am definitely going to be asking for more in terms of basic everything as I know the stress it causes people when moving to the UAE. Unfortunately for them, I am acutely aware that my life is not worth living if I have the same experience in Dubai as I did in Saudi with my wife and baby in tow. I would like to know where the best areas are in Dubai to live to allow us to socialise with other expats. My wife seems to be fine with apartments closer to the sea, but there are also new developments further our. I have ruled out Mirdif based on what I've read so far and the traffic issues. Sahara Meadows is closer to the school, but seems to be surrounded by sand and probably doesn't have the facilities, social life I would like my family to have.Any advice would be appreciated. BTW we have a dog who would be coming with.
what does dir mean? If your total package is AED 260k, all in, and your accommodation, for argument sake, is approx. 90k, then you are left with 170k/14k pm....dayummm that is low
mission is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2016, 11:49 am
  #7  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Dubai, working at Dust World Central
Posts: 3,706
mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to live (Dubai)

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH View Post
RemRaan 2-bedders are around 80-85K, not 95K. Asteco has a listing for 85k and given that it's Asteco that's the highest realistic price because it'll come with Asteco maintenance.

There's even a few listed at just under 80 in the high 70s. Prices tumbling? Bargain hard and you can probably get a 2-bedder for 75k
Checked with my friends and you can get for 75 but there is a huge variation. All sorts of different builds, fixtures fittings, views, balconies etc etc.
mikewot is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2016, 12:07 pm
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,210
DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to live (Dubai)

I trolled through Dubizzle multiple pages back and can't find one for 95K. Average is about 80K.

Maybe for absolute top notch biggest/outdoor patio/best location you'll find a 95K but for someone who isn't too picky (and he can't be on his budget) there seems to be a bunch of decent options for 75-80K.

Originally Posted by mikewot View Post
Checked with my friends and you can get for 75 but there is a huge variation. All sorts of different builds, fixtures fittings, views, balconies etc etc.
DXBtoDOH is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2016, 12:11 pm
  #9  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Dubai, working at Dust World Central
Posts: 3,706
mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to live (Dubai)

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH View Post
Maybe for absolute top notch biggest/outdoor patio/best location you'll find a 95K but for someone who isn't too picky (and he can't be on his budget) there seems to be a bunch of decent options for 75-80K.
The nicer ones are being snapped up. Lucky if they are available for more than 2 days. We suspect people are concerned that prices will rocket once it's connected to Hessa. Due to complete end of next month.
mikewot is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2016, 12:32 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,210
DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to live (Dubai)

And the economy is collapsing in front of our eyes.

Those paying 95 now might find identical apartments being rented for 50K come this summer.

Originally Posted by mikewot View Post
The nicer ones are being snapped up. Lucky if they are available for more than 2 days. We suspect people are concerned that prices will rocket once it's connected to Hessa. Due to complete end of next month.
DXBtoDOH is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2016, 12:35 pm
  #11  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Dubai, working at Dust World Central
Posts: 3,706
mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to live (Dubai)

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH View Post
Those paying 95 now might find identical apartments being rented for 50K come this summer.
I think prices will be very very slow to come down. There are too many LL who never did economics 101 and are content to leave their places empty because they want 160k but could fill it at 130.
mikewot is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2016, 12:48 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Gosport
Posts: 227
khitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nice
Default Re: Areas to live (Dubai)

Originally Posted by mission View Post
what does dir mean? If your total package is AED 260k, all in, and your accommodation, for argument sake, is approx. 90k, then you are left with 170k/14k pm....dayummm that is low
Dir was meant to mean Dirhams. I'll start to use the more accepted AED prefix from now on.
Is 14k p/m enough to survive on with a little one and wife? Or would we rely on Mrs getting a job? Nothing has been fixed yet, but it is similar to our joint income in the UK if we add on the current mortgage. We are not all bankers, some of us have to scrape by teaching physics for a living.
khitan004 is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2016, 5:47 pm
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
 
flares's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,971
flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to live (Dubai)

Your UAE experience will be so different to Riyadh...Remember when I picked you up from your initial accommodation by Granada Mall...you were extolling the virtues of its pool/jacuzzi.
Good luck old bean.
flares is offline  
Old Feb 12th 2016, 7:11 am
  #14  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Gosport
Posts: 227
khitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nice
Default Re: Areas to live (Dubai)

Originally Posted by flares View Post
Your UAE experience will be so different to Riyadh...Remember when I picked you up from your initial accommodation by Granada Mall...you were extolling the virtues of its pool/jacuzzi.Good luck old bean.
My god, good to hear from you...despite you being on my feed on Facebook. I did say this in the initial conversation with the school. I will be fine over there, just concerned the Mrs will make my life hell and never forgive me.
khitan004 is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2016, 5:46 am
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,210
DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to live (Dubai)

Will all due respect, Mike, I'm not sure if you lived through the last property crash in 2009-2010. Rents did drop by half. It may happen again. Then again it may not

Originally Posted by mikewot View Post
I think prices will be very very slow to come down. There are too many LL who never did economics 101 and are content to leave their places empty because they want 160k but could fill it at 130.
DXBtoDOH is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.