Area to live

Old Mar 12th 2008, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Jay 28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Area to live

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are moving to Dubai on April the 7th.

We have a hotel booked for the first month then I will have to find a pad. I am looking for a housing complex (communal pool would be nice! (not more than half hour commute from work which is on Khalid Bin Al-Waleed Road) and hopefully with quite a few English people about. Any suggestions? I have around £900/month housing allowance.

We are going to go to the quiz night i have heard about, i was wondering if there are any the any other social events worth going to, to meet expats?

Cheers!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Area to live

Originally Posted by Jay 28
Hi,

My girlfriend and I are moving to Dubai on April the 7th.

We have a hotel booked for the first month then I will have to find a pad. I am looking for a housing complex (communal pool would be nice! (not more than half hour commute from work which is on Khalid Bin Al-Waleed Road) and hopefully with quite a few English people about. Any suggestions? I have around £900/month housing allowance.

We are going to go to the quiz night i have heard about, i was wondering if there are any the any other social events worth going to, to meet expats?

Cheers!
It really depends on your budget.
If you want to be with western expats and within 30 mins of your office then Old Town or Trade centre will probably be you best bet but aren't cheap.
Some others on here will suggest Satwa which is an interesting area but not widely populated by western expats.

If you have a good budget then Jumeiah 1 will be within your commute zone.

oh and you'll find it easier to refer to Khalid Bin Al-Waleed Road as Bank Street. thats what everybody calls it.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:38 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

My advice would be to start at Oasis Court Apartments just a stones throw from Bank Street and with good facilities. They have their own website and studios/apartments can be booked for as long or short as you like. My boss has a British friend living there happily.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 6:35 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
My advice would be to start at Oasis Court Apartments just a stones throw from Bank Street and with good facilities. They have their own website and studios/apartments can be booked for as long or short as you like. My boss has a British friend living there happily.
pricey though
Old Mar 13th 2008, 6:41 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
pricey though
Cheaper than many hotels and I believe you can negotiate lower rates for long term stays.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

jrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to all

I can recommend the Old Town, but it is rather pricey......but that goes for most places?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Jay 28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your assistance much obliged!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:51 pm