Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Architecural Technician

Architecural Technician

Old Jan 21st 2008, 11:51 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 7
JCB1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Architecural Technician

Hi all, I am very interested in coming to work out in Dubai.

I am 24, getting married this year and have a 19mth old boy!

I currently work as an Architectural Technician, and obviously would be looking for similar work...I am however struggling to find work for Technicians, plenty for Architects on top-dollar jobs though....

Anyone any ideas where I could start looking and then any advice on moving out there?

I am stopping off for three days this time next year on my way to the Maldives, so if there is anything I should be looking out for let me know.



Thanks in advance!

Jon
JCB1984 is offline  
Old Jan 21st 2008, 11:57 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Paidtoplease's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: dubai
Posts: 2,674
Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Architecural Technician

Welcome JCB
My only advise is to keep plugging away at the agencies see Wiki lists but a year in Dubai a lot can change so maybe you are starting to look a bit early
Paidtoplease is offline  
Old Jan 21st 2008, 1:03 pm
  #3  
hmmmm...nice
 
MataHari's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 27,920
MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Architecural Technician

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease View Post
Welcome JCB
My only advise is to keep plugging away at the agencies see Wiki lists but a year in Dubai a lot can change so maybe you are starting to look a bit early
I think you can safely drop the maybe...
MataHari is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:42 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Chris79's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,575
Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Architecural Technician

Originally Posted by JCB1984 View Post
Hi all, I am very interested in coming to work out in Dubai.

I am 24, getting married this year and have a 19mth old boy!

I currently work as an Architectural Technician, and obviously would be looking for similar work...I am however struggling to find work for Technicians, plenty for Architects on top-dollar jobs though....

Anyone any ideas where I could start looking and then any advice on moving out there?

I am stopping off for three days this time next year on my way to the Maldives, so if there is anything I should be looking out for let me know.



Thanks in advance!

Jon
Hi Jon,

I am working in Abu Dhabi at the moment on the new airport and we are using a architectural firm that are very good. The main men in the firm are english/american and they have offices all over the world. Have one in Dubai and one in Abu Dhabi.
Drop me a line for more details if your interested.
Chris79 is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:26 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 7
JCB1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Architecural Technician

Originally Posted by Chris79 View Post
Hi Jon,

I am working in Abu Dhabi at the moment on the new airport and we are using a architectural firm that are very good. The main men in the firm are english/american and they have offices all over the world. Have one in Dubai and one in Abu Dhabi.
Drop me a line for more details if your interested.
Chris - YHM
JCB1984 is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:19 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
 
AdamADR's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 12
AdamADR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Architecural Technician

Drop <snip- pm for email> an e-mail, she deals with Architects in the Middle East.

Last edited by Bob; Jan 25th 2008 at 5:46 pm. Reason: Don't want to have persons email posted without permission, or get them spammed.
AdamADR is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:05 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 163
axlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant future
Default Re: Architecural Technician

Originally Posted by AdamADR View Post
Drop <snip> an e-mail, she deals with Architects in the Middle East.
Good advert well hidden well maybe not

Last edited by Bob; Jan 25th 2008 at 5:46 pm.
axlenoyl is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:14 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 13
oliver1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Architecural Technician

Originally Posted by Chris79 View Post
Hi Jon,

I am working in Abu Dhabi at the moment on the new airport and we are using a architectural firm that are very good. The main men in the firm are english/american and they have offices all over the world. Have one in Dubai and one in Abu Dhabi.
Drop me a line for more details if your interested.
Hi Chris79,

I am project Manager in interior fit out based in Manchester. Just finishing the first phase refurbishment at Manchester airport. Have been a PM for 7 yrs and started from the bottom as a time served tradesmen many years ago. I have considered very seriously moving to dubai to work and expand my career. I have visited dubai numerous times but only as a tourist. Have read up on many things, do's, dont's etc, tax, visa, sponsorship etc. However I could really do with speaking to someone on things like, their construction methods, NBS, labour rates and procedures, etc. Or is it something very similar in procedure to what i know in the UK.

Please help !
oliver1 is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:00 pm
  #9  
Pog mo thoin
 
Miss Eck's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Dubai
Posts: 4,103
Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Architecural Technician

Originally Posted by oliver1 View Post
Hi Chris79,

However I could really do with speaking to someone on things like, their construction methods, NBS, labour rates and procedures, etc. Or is it something very similar in procedure to what i know in the UK.

Please help !
It is all very similar to the UK.
Miss Eck is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:48 am
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
Chris79's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,575
Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Architecural Technician

Originally Posted by oliver1 View Post
Hi Chris79,

I am project Manager in interior fit out based in Manchester. Just finishing the first phase refurbishment at Manchester airport. Have been a PM for 7 yrs and started from the bottom as a time served tradesmen many years ago. I have considered very seriously moving to dubai to work and expand my career. I have visited dubai numerous times but only as a tourist. Have read up on many things, do's, dont's etc, tax, visa, sponsorship etc. However I could really do with speaking to someone on things like, their construction methods, NBS, labour rates and procedures, etc. Or is it something very similar in procedure to what i know in the UK.

Please help !
I have been over in Abu Dhabi since Nov 07. It has certainly been an eye opener. What we would do in the uk with 10 men takes over 50 men here and hardly any of them have any formal training, so you need to train them all our self. Labour is v v cheap out here, but as we have found, you get what you pay for. My wage would pay for over 50 workers! We have had to bring in workers from the UK to supervise.
Saying all that, I'm glad I made the move. The standard of living is so much better over here, not to mention the weather! (however I'm bloody freezing at the moment!)
I'll send you a PM.
Chris79 is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:36 am
  #11  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 13
oliver1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Architecural Technician

Originally Posted by Miss Eck View Post
It is all very similar to the UK.
Hi Miss Eck,

I want to know about the managment structure and the control when you mean its like the uk, "Project manager, contract manager, site manager, QS etc"
oliver1 is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:38 am
  #12  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 13
oliver1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Architecural Technician

Originally Posted by Chris79 View Post
I have been over in Abu Dhabi since Nov 07. It has certainly been an eye opener. What we would do in the uk with 10 men takes over 50 men here and hardly any of them have any formal training, so you need to train them all our self. Labour is v v cheap out here, but as we have found, you get what you pay for. My wage would pay for over 50 workers! We have had to bring in workers from the UK to supervise.
Saying all that, I'm glad I made the move. The standard of living is so much better over here, not to mention the weather! (however I'm bloody freezing at the moment!)
I'll send you a PM.
Hi chris79

Cannot open private message, there is some kind of block limit ! i am new to this site.
oliver1 is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:06 am
  #13  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Madam Medusa's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 18,187
Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Architecural Technician

Originally Posted by oliver1 View Post
Hi chris79

Cannot open private message, there is some kind of block limit ! i am new to this site.
oliver you should be ok now...you need 3 posts to be able to pm...

MM, xx
Madam Medusa is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:24 am
  #14  
BE Forum Addict
 
Chris79's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,575
Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Architecural Technician

Originally Posted by oliver1 View Post
Hi Miss Eck,

I want to know about the managment structure and the control when you mean its like the uk, "Project manager, contract manager, site manager, QS etc"
It is exactly like the UK. My site has a Project Manager, Assitant PM, Site Manager, Site engineers etc etc, QA/QC Controller etc etc.
Chris79 is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:58 am
  #15  
Pog mo thoin
 
Miss Eck's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Dubai
Posts: 4,103
Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Architecural Technician

Originally Posted by oliver1 View Post
Hi Miss Eck,

I want to know about the managment structure and the control when you mean its like the uk, "Project manager, contract manager, site manager, QS etc"
I see Chris has answered your question. Let me know if you need anymore info.
Miss Eck is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.