Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Apartment in Dubai

Apartment in Dubai

Old Jul 21st 2014, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

emmad41 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Apartment in Dubai

just wondered if you have found anywhere?
I am moving out in September and im applying for apartments but am struggling to get any response from agents.

I need monthly rental in Dubai marina, do you recommend any?
Old Jul 21st 2014, 3:23 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmad41
just wondered if you have found anywhere?
I am moving out in September and im applying for apartments but am struggling to get any response from agents.

I need monthly rental in Dubai marina, do you recommend any?
To be fair agents here struggle to respond when you are living out here, making enquiries from abroad you have no chance really.

Best thing to do would be to arrange a hotel for a month when you first come out and then concentrate on finding somewhere without having to rush into it. In the current market you will be lucky to get a landlord to accept two cheques, monthly is a no go, unless you are considering a flat share (technically illegal but widely practised) where sites like Dubizzle will give you the best chance of finding something. Remember also you will need money for deposits (flat and utilities, around AED 9k) along with agent fee (around AED 5k) and your first payment which would be half a years rent upfront.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Apartment in Dubai

Originally Posted by Fossildog
To be fair agents here struggle to respond when you are living out here, making enquiries from abroad you have no chance really.

Best thing to do would be to arrange a hotel for a month when you first come out and then concentrate on finding somewhere without having to rush into it. In the current market you will be lucky to get a landlord to accept two cheques, monthly is a no go, unless you are considering a flat share (technically illegal but widely practised) where sites like Dubizzle will give you the best chance of finding something. Remember also you will need money for deposits (flat and utilities, around AED 9k) along with agent fee (around AED 5k) and your first payment which would be half a years rent upfront.

I have found ones with monthly rental... surely that's just like the uk... pay on a certain day of the month? is this not right? its very confusing!!
my company are going to pay for the deposit and any fees etc...
that's why I thought finding a place straight away would be better, than spending money on a hotel for a month.
im looking for fully furnished. I only want a month by month one to begin with because once my partner starts earning we will then be able to get a nicer place...
do you live in Dubai? can you give me any help? or point me to somebody
that can??
Old Jul 21st 2014, 4:30 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

it's very rare to find monthly rentals in Dubai, not sure where you found those?

Agents will not be that interested in replying, as September is still a long time away, and everything that is on the market now, landlords will want it rented out immediately. No one is going to agree to a lease contract now that starts in September.

Furnished units are available, but there are always less than unfurnished and a lot of them are not furnished very nicely.

What's your budget and how many bedrooms are your looking for?
Old Jul 21st 2014, 4:36 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

I have found ones with monthly rental... surely that's just like the uk... pay on a certain day of the month? is this not right? its very confusing!!
my company are going to pay for the deposit and any fees etc...
that's why I thought finding a place straight away would be better, than spending money on a hotel for a month.
im looking for fully furnished. I only want a month by month one to begin with because once my partner starts earning we will then be able to get a nicer place...
do you live in Dubai? can you give me any help? or point me to somebody
that can??
The property market unfortunately is nothing like the UK. Tenants are usually expected to pay upfront, sometimes three post dated cheques but with the current 'boom' we are having one cheque seems to be the norm for attractive apartments, although two cheques may be possible. Hotel apartments can be had fully furnished for monthly rates but tend to be expensive. Surprised you have found a place in the Marina that will accept monthly payments. Bear in mind that what you see advertised may not even be available (but they will have a similar place for just a bit more...). You would also be expected to sign a years contract, short term contracts for new leases do not seem to be as prevalent as the UK.

Far better to try and get your company to pay for hotel accommodation for a month to give you time to settle in and find a suitable place. If they are willing to pay your fees and deposit they may be amenable to putting you up for a month.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Apartment in Dubai

Originally Posted by MataHari
it's very rare to find monthly rentals in Dubai, not sure where you found those?

Agents will not be that interested in replying, as September is still a long time away, and everything that is on the market now, landlords will want it rented out immediately. No one is going to agree to a lease contract now that starts in September.

Furnished units are available, but there are always less than unfurnished and a lot of them are not furnished very nicely.

What's your budget and how many bedrooms are your looking for?
I found the monthly ones on dubizzle. i thought that might be the case about them not replying to me.. but i really don't want to be stressing in august.

if i were to have unfurnished i worry that i wont be able to find furniture...

im looking for 2 bed 13,000 per month... if its a one bed id be ok if it was quite a big apartment, and that i could maybe have a bed sofa?
can you help?
thanks
Old Jul 21st 2014, 5:29 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I found the monthly ones on dubizzle. i thought that might be the case about them not replying to me.. but i really don't want to be stressing in august.

if i were to have unfurnished i worry that i wont be able to find furniture...

im looking for 2 bed 13,000 per month... if its a one bed id be ok if it was quite a big apartment, and that i could maybe have a bed sofa?
can you help?
thanks
dubizzle isn't the most reliable site but you won't know until you try calling, but as mentioned, there really is no point in calling now.

Usually you will start looking about 2 to 3 weeks before you need to move, and it's not always that stressful, as there will be a few to chose from.

If it's unfurnished, you do what you would do back home, go to the Mall or Ikea and buy furniture, we really have everything here, so there really is nothing to worry about where that is concerned. Alternatively you can use Dubizzle to get 2nd hand furniture, although the majority seems to be Ikea stuff that's being advertised. Some nice things as well but you need to wade through endless pages of crap.

I would say 120,000 is kind of the minimum for a 2 bed in the Marina, more will give you a better building with nicer facilities and better quality finishes. Most apartments will have the kitchen appliances included.

Drop me a PM near the time, and as advised, get a month in a hotel. You will need your residency visa and bank account all set up before you can start renting anyway, so there really is no way you can rent something before that. It's the same for everybody, and everybody manages to find something when they are actually here and got all their paperwork etc sorted. It's not a daunting as it seems.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
dubizzle isn't the most reliable site but you won't know until you try calling, but as mentioned, there really is no point in calling now.

Usually you will start looking about 2 to 3 weeks before you need to move, and it's not always that stressful, as there will be a few to chose from.

If it's unfurnished, you do what you would do back home, go to the Mall or Ikea and buy furniture, we really have everything here, so there really is nothing to worry about where that is concerned. Alternatively you can use Dubizzle to get 2nd hand furniture, although the majority seems to be Ikea stuff that's being advertised. Some nice things as well but you need to wade through endless pages of crap.

I would say 120,000 is kind of the minimum for a 2 bed in the Marina, more will give you a better building with nicer facilities and better quality finishes. Most apartments will have the kitchen appliances included.

Drop me a PM near the time, and as advised, get a month in a hotel. You will need your residency visa and bank account all set up before you can start renting anyway, so there really is no way you can rent something before that. It's the same for everybody, and everybody manages to find something when they are actually here and got all their paperwork etc sorted. It's not a daunting as it seems.
IKEA? Some people really have no taste.

Marina Exotic for the more discerning expat.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
IKEA? Some people really have no taste.

Marina Exotic for the more discerning expat, who want to fill their homes with over priced tat
Fixed that for you.