Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Any second hand cars for sale in Riyadh? Tips on what to buy?

Any second hand cars for sale in Riyadh? Tips on what to buy?

Old Jun 2nd 2013, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any second hand cars for sale in Riyadh? Tips on what to buy?

Hi chaps,

Two random questions if I may (plus a request for general advice if you can be bothered to read the entire post):

(1) Has anyone here bought or sold a used car in Riyadh? If so, how did you do it, was it a hassle and how much did it depreciate during your ownership?

(2) Does anyone here know of anyone who is selling a used SUV in Riyadh?

I ask because I am deciding this week whether to buy a new or second hand SUV, with a primary aim of minimum loss when I come to resell in about 18 month's time.

If buying new, the sensible part of me thinks either a Hyundai Tucson or Kia Sportage (basically same car) and the insane part of me likes the Toyota Prado or Sequoia or similar (which may depreciate less in % terms but are way more expensive to buy in the first place). If buying second hand, I'd like something largeish to bash around in safely.

As for second hand cars, I've been to the Car Souq and the prices were silly (i.e. I was quoted 60,000 SAR for a 20 year old Suburban). Similarly, I've looked at the www.expatriates.com website but there are a lot of fake cars and the real sellers seem to ask silly prices (but I don't know if these get bargained down a lot)? There are some arabic-only websites but I can't read these...

If I could get reliable purchase price and "total cost of ownership" figures I would decide in a second but I don't, so I am resorting instead to asking random internet forum users for advice. So, what say you, interweb users? What should I buy?

Last edited by FriendlyExpat; Jun 2nd 2013 at 4:10 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any second hand cars for sale in Riyadh? Tips on what to buy?

yes there's a guy on here in the last week or two selling a used Jeep Cherokee in Riyadh...he's called Chester Lee

http://britishexpats.com/classifieds...uct=6570&cat=5

Last edited by flares; Jun 2nd 2013 at 4:40 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 5:01 pm
UK

RJB123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seem to recall that there are restrictions on single expats owning larger SUV's in Saudi. Not sure whether you are on your own or with family but if you are on single status worth checking out before you commit yourself to buying a vehicle.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RJB123
Seem to recall that there are restrictions on single expats owning larger SUV's in Saudi. Not sure whether you are on your own or with family but if you are on single status worth checking out before you commit yourself to buying a vehicle.
Indeed this is an issue when buying a large SUV but I understand the rules are slightly relaxed for westerners (may not be true but this is what the toyta dealership told me, and of course I wouldn't pay anything until this was confirmed).
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

What would really help is if anyone had experience of actually selling a used car in Riyadh, in particular the Toyota Prado (which appear to keep their value extraordinarily well). I am wary of being lured in with promises of good resale values only to find in fact that this is not so accurate...
Old Jun 4th 2013, 1:34 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FriendlyExpat
What would really help is if anyone had experience of actually selling a used car in Riyadh, in particular the Toyota Prado (which appear to keep their value extraordinarily well). I am wary of being lured in with promises of good resale values only to find in fact that this is not so accurate...
When I lived there I bought a 2 door Nissan Patrol for 45,000 SAR. It kept it's value really well and was easy to sell at a good price.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
When I lived there I bought a 2 door Nissan Patrol for 45,000 SAR. It kept it's value really well and was easy to sell at a good price.
Thanks! Very helpful. Would you mind saying what year model it was and how much did it depreciate?
Old Jun 4th 2013, 9:30 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FriendlyExpat
Thanks! Very helpful. Would you mind saying what year model it was and how much did it depreciate?
I lived there 2001 - 2004. I bought the car in 2001 for 45,000, it was 3 years old. I sold it about 18 months later for 41,000. I could have got more, but wanted to sell quickly at the time. I sold it to a local who did all of the paperwork.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Generally if you buy a Toyota SUV the depreciation is quite low. The one warning I would give is that if you do buy 2nd hand get one from a western expat as they really abuse the cars and service history is not always available.

As has been previously said make sure that you get the OK to buy a SUV if you are single.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 10:20 am
Just Joined

holliday is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. As a Riyadh based expat, I bought a second hand LR3 around three years and no one ever mentioned any issue of a westerner owning a large SUV. I paid SR83k for it 2 years (SR250k new), and I quite often get people offering SR60k for it today, but as I need a car, it is not for sale. Toyota hold their value, but finding a decent one is difficult and the prices for me don't stack up, as a 3 year old one will cost around 90% of the new price. One thing to try might be to find a small local garage that is frequented by Westerners, and ask them if they know of anything. Again I would also confirm that it is far better to buy from an expat who has looked after the car, as wheelies and lack of servicing in this environment really does ruin cars quickly. Also big and bulky is good, preferably with off road ability as a safety device if nothing else.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MaserMan
Generally if you buy a Toyota SUV the depreciation is quite low. The one warning I would give is that if you do buy 2nd hand get one from a western expat as they really abuse the cars and service history is not always available.

As has been previously said make sure that you get the OK to buy a SUV if you are single.
Just read what I put up. What I meant was buy from western expats as the locals (they) don't look after their cars.