Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Any regrets over moving?

Any regrets over moving?

Old Oct 21st 2009, 5:25 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any regrets over moving?

Originally Posted by Timmy Molloy - London Boy
I'm sure I read one of the posts saying wifes not working dont have a lot to do.., to be honest married and kids in Dubai has to be better than coming here on your 'Jack Jones'. As a single UK expat, my only choice of women are Thai or Philipino, which arent to my taste - so I leave them alone. Grub is usually in a shopping mall. I would much prefer to be part of a family unit out here.

I dont think I'll have any regrets, tax free salary and career advancement are keeping me sane. Plus I love the weather!!
maybe you aren't going to the right places to meet European women?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:10 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timmy Molloy - London Boy
I'm sure I read one of the posts saying wifes not working dont have a lot to do.., to be honest married and kids in Dubai has to be better than coming here on your 'Jack Jones"
sure, in principle that's the ideal, but as another poster said, your life wouldn't be much fun if you came home every evening to a desperately homesick/ depressed wife who's consequently been run ragged by the kids all day and dumps them on your without saying a word.

The big danger, imo, is that the OH may feel that she is just tagging along in your amazing career progression and, god forbid, may come to resent it.

For those who say there's not much to do in GB, well, ofc, it depends where you are, but I feel that there's far more variety. I've never felt trapped inside - even when it's raining or cold, you can wrap up and have fun. When it's 45 degrees outside, there are no precautions you can take to make it fun.

As for it being safer here for kids, I disagree. People are friendlier towards kids, and there's not the same paranoia about kidnapping/paedophilia but at the same time I don't feel I can trust the generic carers here. I used to use a crèche here but have stopped after accounts of them dropping a baby and denying it, sending a girl home with a cut they didn't think serious that then needed stitches and only having one adult on the premises with around 8 kids of varying ages. The woman laughed and looked slightly awkward when my friend asked her what she'd do in an emergency - she obviously hadn't been told what to do.

Anyhow, horror stories exist anywhere, but I personally feel that I can't trust things here that I would in the UK.

For those of you who have been over here for longer, I think a/ you're obviously far more established here, but it's taken you x years and b/ you may be surprised at how the UK has changed and so comparison is difficult. My parents have been out of the UK for 20 years now and are constantly surprised at the changes, both good and bad, but only because time has affected their memories of what it was like.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I am sure we will be fine, we don't know anything other than life in Dubai with Mitten so we will just have to get on with it
We were the same - had our kids in ME so had nothiing to compare it to - just seemed like a great deal to me!! husband 10 minutes to and from work, I didn't have to work if I didn't want to, no mortgage worries, loads of great holidays, lots of sun, great mates, good school for the kids, what more could you ask for ?

Bliss.

N
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:27 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
......I truely feel that Dubai is 1 of the few countries that allows people with an entrepreneurial spirit to achieve their dreams.
There are lots of things that need to be changed here but on the whole, I abso love being here and cannot imagine being anywhere else.
Totally agree with that Stoli. If you are any good at what you do and make a few contacts then there are all sorts of possibilities.

I think to enjoy life in Dubai you need to have a positive attitude. Those who have got on with things with an open mind and not expected it to be just like their home countries are probably the happiest here. It does take time build up a new social network, but everyone has been new at one point and most people are pretty welcoming. You do have to leave your apartment/villa/compound/'gated community' to meet people though...

-
Old Oct 21st 2009, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree Meow - I think a lot of people expect it to be like UK but with sun - which it isn't. Positive attitude, open mind, chill out and all is well with the world.

N
Old Oct 21st 2009, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Mullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the rough

I'm confident I don't fall into that category (wanting it to be like the UK), if anything I'm worried about being surrounded by sunburnt brits bragging about money and having a maid......
Old Oct 21st 2009, 1:38 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mullet
I'm confident I don't fall into that category (wanting it to be like the UK), if anything I'm worried about being surrounded by sunburnt brits bragging about money and having a maid......
you won't hear that on this site, but sadly there are plenty of them about
Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
sure, in principle that's the ideal, but as another poster said, your life wouldn't be much fun if you came home every evening to a desperately homesick/ depressed wife who's consequently been run ragged by the kids all day and dumps them on your without saying a word.

The big danger, imo, is that the OH may feel that she is just tagging along in your amazing career progression and, god forbid, may come to resent it.

For those who say there's not much to do in GB, well, ofc, it depends where you are, but I feel that there's far more variety. I've never felt trapped inside - even when it's raining or cold, you can wrap up and have fun. When it's 45 degrees outside, there are no precautions you can take to make it fun.

As for it being safer here for kids, I disagree. People are friendlier towards kids, and there's not the same paranoia about kidnapping/paedophilia but at the same time I don't feel I can trust the generic carers here. I used to use a crèche here but have stopped after accounts of them dropping a baby and denying it, sending a girl home with a cut they didn't think serious that then needed stitches and only having one adult on the premises with around 8 kids of varying ages. The woman laughed and looked slightly awkward when my friend asked her what she'd do in an emergency - she obviously hadn't been told what to do.

Anyhow, horror stories exist anywhere, but I personally feel that I can't trust things here that I would in the UK.

For those of you who have been over here for longer, I think a/ you're obviously far more established here, but it's taken you x years and b/ you may be surprised at how the UK has changed and so comparison is difficult. My parents have been out of the UK for 20 years now and are constantly surprised at the changes, both good and bad, but only because time has affected their memories of what it was like.
Blimy.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:02 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Blimy.

"blimey" on what account?
Psychotic housewives or incompetent childcare?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

"blimey" on what account?
Psychotic housewives or incompetent childcare?
Psychotic housewives... you're not my wife are you?!?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:52 pm
ex-expat

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Psychotic housewives... you're not my wife are you?!?
hehe, don't think so ... but even more scary is that I may know her!

It's a small world down here at the Marina!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of sense in that post. You can knock the UK but the services/people/roads are 100% more reliable and trustworthy. When you have kids, that makes you feel like you're taking a chance by exposing your family to the precarious systems and legal principles of the UAE......
Old Oct 26th 2009, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thunderbirds Are Go is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
why despise the locals? do you actually know any? that is a shame you feel like that.
agree wirth blue cat on this...too many people moan about the locals, and comment about obey is laughable...

i mean, i've had worst, on buses and tubes in london about being shoved around, and i have no comments, as i am a londoner and accept that people in all cities can be rude..
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:14 am
ex-expat

Originally Posted by Thunderbirds Are Go
agree wirth blue cat on this...too many people moan about the locals, and comment about obey is laughable...

i mean, i've had worst, on buses and tubes in london about being shoved around, and i have no comments, as i am a londoner and accept that people in all cities can be rude..
There's rude and there's arrogant. Both are easy to deal with but both are equally shocking when you encounter them... and you're right; arrogance is far easier to laugh about.

The good thing about this place, is that you will never be sworn at or have obscenities shouted at you down the street. You'll never be told to f*** off if you're out of order. You'll never hear people f-ing and blinding at every other word in a conversation... and that in itself is pretty priceless imo.

I certainly don't despise the locals. In fact, the only local I've come to know relatively well is a well-grounded, honourable man, albeit with a dry sense of humour and an eye for a bit of a deal - which is pretty similar to most of my friends around the world.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=Hello.Kitty;8047662]

The good thing about this place, is that you will never be sworn at or have obscenities shouted at you down the street. You'll never be told to f*** off if you're out of order. You'll never hear people f-ing and blinding at every other word in a conversation... and that in itself is pretty priceless imo.

QUOTE]

Too true, and one of the things I hate about the UK.

At home in the summer, I 'helpfully' beeped a guy reversing his fork lift off the drive into the main road as he wasn't looking... The reaction from him was as as if I had just raped his mother.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.