Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Any recommendations for shipping a few boxes to the UK?

Any recommendations for shipping a few boxes to the UK?

Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Roisin79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Any recommendations for shipping a few boxes to the UK?

Hi, I'm moving to Dubai at the end of the month and have a few boxes which I want to send over. Can anyone recommend a reputible firm, I'm based in Shropshire at the moment. I'm not in a hurry with sending it but do want it door to door. Cheers!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Any recommendations for shipping a few boxes to the UK?

How much is a 'few' boxes? What weight? Do you actually mean shipping, or are you talking about air freight?

When I came out I sent just over a 100 Kg in 7 boxes by air freight. I live relatively close to Manchester Airport, so I rang a few of the handling agents and got quotes - Menzies using Lufthansa came in cheapest. I was able to take the boxes to the airport myself, and then collected and cleared customs from Dubai airport without too much trouble.

If you want door to door, obviously the costs will be up, especially at the UK end with the labour cost. If you don't want to collect in person from Dubai airport, you will need to authorise a proxy to collect for you.

You will need to get the timing right, because there will be storage charges in Dubai if you cannot collect within a certain period of time. They should advise you when the boxes are ready for collection - but don't rely on it! Take the initiative and follow up.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Roisin79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers! I have about four boxes not sure on the weight, I was thinking of shipping as I'm not in a hurry with recieving them Dubai side.

Last edited by Roisin79; Jul 13th 2008 at 1:03 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

OK - Never done shipping, so can't assist on that.

Generally people are shipping container or half container loads.