Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Any experience / recommendation of freight companies moving to Qatar from UK

Any experience / recommendation of freight companies moving to Qatar from UK

Old Oct 10th 2021, 7:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Any experience / recommendation of freight companies moving to Qatar from UK

Originally Posted by slo0079
Currently the following items are giving us the biggest headache:

- The company says not to bring family until after they get their visa
- It will take 2-3 week for me to get the visa
- It will take 3-4 weeks for family to get visa
- That's 2 months (per company provided time tables) away from family; and wife has to do everything on her own...
- I'm not allowed to leave during 3-month probation period.
- So no Christmas with kids...
- Wife is supposed to pack everything in the end on her own...
- Wife has to sell cars...
- Wife has to arrange transport to airport, etc.
- Result: wife will be furious for weeks after, not a good recipe
- By the time kids get visa, it's end January.
- Qatar schools refuse to accept kids from Feb onwards. High risk
- Also none of the schools I contacted committed to a spaces for my 2 kids. They just want to charge for assessments...
- We have a dog
- Dogs are not allowed in the 3-month temporary company provided accommodation
- Only solution is to leave dog with a relative 2k km away - who never had a dog.
- The cost of this - plus getting the dog later - is 3-4k
- The role is on a 3-year contract
- Initially, it was indefinite. But 2nd offer onwards was not
- Feels like a huge amount of work and hassle for a temporary stint (although I doubt we'd stay longer)
* Apostilles
- One hurdle for us is that we didn't study or get married or have kids in our current country of residence
- Using 3rd party services seems the way to go to get all documents apostilled
- Costs are way more than the company T&C allow for, about 1k more
** Costs to move
- Appears to be 9k to move stuff, 2-3k in documents, 3-4k for dog, 5k in losses on selling family cars too early (one is 2 yrs old and other is 6 months), 1k to dispose of stuff we cannot take and return rental in decent condition, <1k for health testing, etc.
- Company only allows one bill within 4 months, so I need to absorb all the above from savings... until all the costs are in and I can submit them together.
- What if the new manager doesn't like me? A colleague moved to Qatar and gave up within 3 months because he hated his boss... He's single and portable. I'm obviously not.
- Since my costs are higher than the allowances, first 3-4 months in Qatar will be essentially to break-even. Not very attractive.
- I expected, from my prior research, everything would be covered. I now think this is only the case if someone moves with their existing company...

I decided to visit Doha for a week on my own account. See if it's worth the expense, risk and hassle. I'm meeting with 2 people I worked with in the past who've been there years. Both have small kids, though not school age like mine.
Don't come.

It's not for you.
Old Oct 10th 2021, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any experience / recommendation of freight companies moving to Qatar from UK

Currently the following items are giving us the biggest headache:

- The company says not to bring family until after they get their visa
- It will take 2-3 week for me to get the visa
- It will take 3-4 weeks for family to get visa
- That's 2 months (per company provided time tables) away from family; and wife has to do everything on her own...
- I'm not allowed to leave during 3-month probation period.
- So no Christmas with kids...
- Wife is supposed to pack everything in the end on her own...
- Wife has to sell cars...
- Wife has to arrange transport to airport, etc.
- Result: wife will be furious for weeks after, not a good recipe
- By the time kids get visa, it's end January.
- Qatar schools refuse to accept kids from Feb onwards. High risk
- Also none of the schools I contacted committed to a spaces for my 2 kids. They just want to charge for assessments...
- We have a dog
- Dogs are not allowed in the 3-month temporary company provided accommodation
- Only solution is to leave dog with a relative 2k km away - who never had a dog.
- The cost of this - plus getting the dog later - is 3-4k
- The role is on a 3-year contract
- Initially, it was indefinite. But 2nd offer onwards was not
- Feels like a huge amount of work and hassle for a temporary stint (although I doubt we'd stay longer)
* Apostilles
- One hurdle for us is that we didn't study or get married or have kids in our current country of residence
- Using 3rd party services seems the way to go to get all documents apostilled
- Costs are way more than the company T&C allow for, about 1k more
** Costs to move
- Appears to be 9k to move stuff, 2-3k in documents, 3-4k for dog, 5k in losses on selling family cars too early (one is 2 yrs old and other is 6 months), 1k to dispose of stuff we cannot take and return rental in decent condition, <1k for health testing, etc.
- Company only allows one bill within 4 months, so I need to absorb all the above from savings... until all the costs are in and I can submit them together.
- What if the new manager doesn't like me? A colleague moved to Qatar and gave up within 3 months because he hated his boss... He's single and portable. I'm obviously not.
- Since my costs are higher than the allowances, first 3-4 months in Qatar will be essentially to break-even. Not very attractive.
- I expected, from my prior research, everything would be covered. I now think this is only the case if someone moves with their existing company...

I decided to visit Doha for a week on my own account. See if it's worth the expense, risk and hassle. I'm meeting with 2 people I worked with in the past who've been there years. Both have small kids, though not school age like mine.
Fortune favours the brave. although Qatar favours the stupid.

Old Oct 11th 2021, 7:20 am
Just Joined

slo0079 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scamp
Don't come.

It's not for you.
LOL! I've lived in 6 countries in 3 continents. The concerns above are genuine.
Old Oct 11th 2021, 7:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
OP, when you visit Qatar, always remember that Doha is a very thin veneer of modernity along the waterfront, taking in West Bay, the Pearl and Souq Waqif. It may look shiny and even impressive in late October. In reality, 95% of Doha is dusty, dreary, and ugly, including where most of the family compounds are. Even in places like West Bay, when you look a bit closer, it's shabby and badly built. Get a rental car and drive around widely to get a real sense of the country and ask yourself if it's what you want for you and your family, shutting between your office to a compound on the city's outskirts and the various far-flung shopping malls. You won't go to the beach as often as you might think, as there's preciously few public beach options. Or it will be too hot. Or dusty. So you'll spend most of your free time in the same malls and at overpriced brunches with other bored families.

The money better be worth it. Qatar isn't an adventure, it's a grind.
These are great comments and you've confirmed some our suspicions perfectly. Thanks for sharing.
Old Oct 11th 2021, 8:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

LOL! I've lived in 6 countries in 3 continents. The concerns above are genuine.
Yet you're worried about your wife getting to the airport?
Old Oct 11th 2021, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Yet you're worried about your wife getting to the airport?
On our last move, I sent the wife first with the kids and finished packing the house on my own. They only needed to take hand luggage effectively. Easy.

I can't do that here because QP doesn't let me leave Qatar within the probation period. I also can't leave the stuff packed for them because they come months later. So she needs to look after 2 young kids -- and pack the house. Also we are on the west coast, so 4 hrs away from the airport.

I see it as an adventure, a project, etc. People fly to space, right? This is easy.

But for some, this is like moving to a prison. "Hang me now!"

I'm trying to make it easier for them.
Old Oct 11th 2021, 8:53 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

On our last move, I sent the wife first with the kids and finished packing the house on my own. They only needed to take hand luggage effectively. Easy.

I can't do that here because QP doesn't let me leave Qatar within the probation period. I also can't leave the stuff packed for them because they come months later. So she needs to look after 2 young kids -- and pack the house. Also we are on the west coast, so 4 hrs away from the airport.

I see it as an adventure, a project, etc. People fly to space, right? This is easy.

Some relocation companies employ packers in my experience.
Old Oct 11th 2021, 9:04 am
Account Closed

Why not wait until you can take leave to go back and get them?
Or
Get the company to agree to you having a week working remotely / on leave as soon as their visas are sorted, even if within probation?
We have people starting remotely, going back and forth, collecting families, all sorts. It's not an unreasonable request to be able to be a bit flexible, or just tell them you'll start in January when Xmas is done with.

It's always a load of hassle, but a 3yr contract is a decent stint, plus you might end up staying longer? If the money makes it all worth it then you might look back in 4 months and laugh at the few weeks of ball ache when the bank account is overflowing with tax free Benjamins.
Old Oct 11th 2021, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Qatar is not an endearing place. The money needs to be very, very good to make it worthwhile, and for the OP it sounds like it may not be.
I calculated 100k Sterling extra savings over 3 years, excluding sunk costs (or extra trips to Asia/Australia/NZ for sightseeing). I haven't made up my mind if this meets the "very, very good" definition. Of course, I wish it was more.

OP - if you take this as a three year stint, what happens at the end?
That's also a great question, not as much in terms of finding a job (we can be too picky, right?), but does the Qatar role provide a gateway to future opportunities?

It appears expat experience in the Middle East doesn't provide an obvious advantage in the market back home. What's your experience?
Old Oct 11th 2021, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

It appears expat experience in the Middle East doesn't provide an obvious advantage in the market back home. What's your experience?
the longer you stay the more burnt your CV is.

mine looks like a piece of toast cooked by a junkie.
Old Oct 11th 2021, 10:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
the longer you stay the more burnt your CV is.

mine looks like a piece of toast cooked by a junkie.
Hold my beer.

I've worked, properly, for 14 years. 10 of those in the UAE.
Old Oct 11th 2021, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hold my beer.

I've worked, properly, for 14 years. 10 of those in the UAE.
spent bbq coals.

Im at 14 years, 9 months. Determined to not make it to 15 years.
Old Oct 11th 2021, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Dubai or Doha, any preference?
Old Oct 11th 2021, 11:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I can't do that here because QP doesn't let me leave Qatar within the probation period. I also can't leave the stuff packed for them because they come months later. So she needs to look after 2 young kids -- and pack the house.
Maybe I'm missing something, but if the company won't pay for packers, then could you not do so to save your wife having to pack up the house? If she's got really young children to look after, then chucking some money at the move to make it easier for her (packers, cleaners etc) seems like a wise investment to me.
Old Oct 11th 2021, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Dubai or Doha, any preference?
Dubai is the better place to be, it's developed into an international hub Doha will never be (and why Doha needs to bribe people to go there). A few years in Dubai won't hurt your CV, but I suppose it depends on the industry. Quality of life is much higher. UAE is far more enjoyable than Qatar. But it is also much more expensive (or rather, it's much easier to spend money). Doha's one advantage is it's easy to save money because there's bugger all to do.

100k estimate over three years will likely translate to closer to 60k over three years when all's said and done, not factoring in any non working periods at the end. Even in Doha, because you'll be so bored out of your mind that you'll spend quite a bit on escaping the place on nice holidays. 60k is nothing to laugh at, but is it worth three years in Doha? Up to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.