Reload this Page >

Anothr1 bites the dust!!

Anothr1 bites the dust!!

Old Mar 30th 2011, 10:22 am
Just Joined

newlife2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anothr1 bites the dust!!

Hi there,

We are a family of 4 who have just relocated to Dubai from Scotland. Although the weather is pleasent at present I believe it will get warmer (or worse due to unbearable heat). my 3yr old is driving me mad abt his fav. programs, he cant find Mr Tumble or Bob The Builder (cbeebies) on the tv. Is there any chance of getting something refrd to as vpn of their sake it would at least keep them occupied for a bit.

I managed to take them both to the IbnBatutta play centre (very different to soft play he is used to) we had just walked in and he said 'this is crap mummy' can we go bck home and play in the other one.

Currently staying at the BelleVue Hotel in Tecom its a nightmare crossing the roads even at the zebra crossing to go to carre four supermarket (why have a set of lines painted on the road when ur just going to drive over them, ignorant).

And what is it with ppl staring at you as if ur from anthor planet i dont no... will take some getting used to.

thanks for reading, any support/advice is apprecaited. i will also search previous threads for info.

p.s. apologies for spelling mistakes!! jus a bit frustrated
Old Mar 30th 2011, 11:44 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anothr1 bites the dust!!

Hi newlife2011,

Welcome to BE. I've moved your thread to the ME section for you.

I'm not in the ME but wanted to say hi and welcome you to the community. I hope you enjoy being part of BE.

I can imagine it takes a bit of getting used to when you first move to Dubai, but we've got loads of members here who live there so I'm sure someone will be along soon to share some tips.

Welcome again.

Sue
Old Mar 30th 2011, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newlife2011
Hi there,

We are a family of 4 who have just relocated to Dubai from Scotland. Although the weather is pleasent at present I believe it will get warmer (or worse due to unbearable heat). my 3yr old is driving me mad abt his fav. programs, he cant find Mr Tumble or Bob The Builder (cbeebies) on the tv. Is there any chance of getting something refrd to as vpn of their sake it would at least keep them occupied for a bit.

I managed to take them both to the IbnBatutta play centre (very different to soft play he is used to) we had just walked in and he said 'this is crap mummy' can we go bck home and play in the other one.

Currently staying at the BelleVue Hotel in Tecom its a nightmare crossing the roads even at the zebra crossing to go to carre four supermarket (why have a set of lines painted on the road when ur just going to drive over them, ignorant).

And what is it with ppl staring at you as if ur from anthor planet i dont no... will take some getting used to.

thanks for reading, any support/advice is apprecaited. i will also search previous threads for info.

p.s. apologies for spelling mistakes!! jus a bit frustrated
Firstly, I would wash the kid's mouth out with soap

Then, I'd buy the Dubai Explorer book - it's very helpful and should get you on track.

Last edited by Millhouse; Mar 30th 2011 at 11:49 am.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

There are a number of posts about VPNs if you do a search although we're reluctant to post a specific link as Big Brother could be watching and put a block on it. Once you've posted a few more posts I'm sure someone will PM you a few options.

They basically hide your actual location to fool the BBC iplayer or whatever to think you're in the UK so you can watch CBeebies to your heart's content. They vary in price but are generally fairly cheap through a monthly subscription or one-off annual payment. There are free ones but they're rubbish and too slow to stream anything (in my experience).

Oh, and welcome to the region and the 'bored', I hope you and your family settle in quickly.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 12:07 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Do you fancy meeting up for a cuppa? My daughter is 3.5yrs old and it's the nursery holidays next week, so I'm going to have to find stuff to do. We can talk about vpns or another alternative (we've downloaded a lot of cbeebies stuff and I can invite you to the download site)

It's often nice to just have a chat with someone who's been through the exact same thing. Pm me if you'd like to - you'll have to post another couple of times for that!

We're in the Marina, by the way, very close to a metro stop.

Oh, and the staring - you get used to it. I'm surprised you haven't been accosted by random people asking you if you need a maid yet!

Last edited by Hello.Kitty; Mar 30th 2011 at 12:10 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 1:45 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Hi newlife2011,

Welcome to BE. I've moved your thread to the ME section for you.

I'm not in the ME but wanted to say hi and welcome you to the community. I hope you enjoy being part of BE.

I can imagine it takes a bit of getting used to when you first move to Dubai, but we've got loads of members here who live there so I'm sure someone will be along soon to share some tips.

Welcome again.

Sue
Blimey Sue is that you? I always took you for an older woman....
Old Mar 30th 2011, 1:48 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Blimey Sue is that you? I always took you for an older woman....
Yes, that's me. How old is older?
Old Mar 30th 2011, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sue
Yes, that's me. How old is older?
Don't worry, it's Spugsy's eye sight that is failing!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 30th 2011, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Aww yes that would be great. I have stayed in Marina for 1wk when i came 4a girly holiday few yrs ago however nothing like moving out here away frm family and friends... but hey this could be a chance to make some new ones!!
i took my boy out yesterday to locate the metro which we found successfully i dont no if its cuz he is new to the heat that he has a fever today and im stressed out cuz i dont no any good GPs or medical centres where i could take him...mayb u can recommend something... i dont think there is any concept of NHS 24 here..

i better stop or else this might become the start of a novel!

take care speak soon.

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
Do you fancy meeting up for a cuppa? My daughter is 3.5yrs old and it's the nursery holidays next week, so I'm going to have to find stuff to do. We can talk about vpns or another alternative (we've downloaded a lot of cbeebies stuff and I can invite you to the download site)

It's often nice to just have a chat with someone who's been through the exact same thing. Pm me if you'd like to - you'll have to post another couple of times for that!

We're in the Marina, by the way, very close to a metro stop.

Oh, and the staring - you get used to it. I'm surprised you haven't been accosted by random people asking you if you need a maid yet!
Old Mar 30th 2011, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

thanks for all the advice guys, appreciate it...
Old Mar 31st 2011, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

i dont no if its cuz he is new to the heat that he has a fever today and im stressed out cuz i dont no any good GPs or medical centres where i could take him...mayb u can recommend something... i dont think there is any concept of NHS 24 here..
Do you have your insurance yet? If it's not serious then you probably will be better off going to a pharmacy and buying some calpol. Doctors will charge you 400 AED and give you some antibiotics which are probably not needed.

Doubt it's the heat, but it's the time of year when everyone gets a cold etc... 'change in the weather' and all that.

Are you planning on getting a car? I have no idea how people with kids cope here without a car.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 5:12 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Aww yes that would be great. I have stayed in Marina for 1wk when i came 4a girly holiday few yrs ago however nothing like moving out here away frm family and friends... but hey this could be a chance to make some new ones!!
i took my boy out yesterday to locate the metro which we found successfully i dont no if its cuz he is new to the heat that he has a fever today and im stressed out cuz i dont no any good GPs or medical centres where i could take him...mayb u can recommend something... i dont think there is any concept of NHS 24 here..

i better stop or else this might become the start of a novel!

take care speak soon.
fevers and tummy bugs are the equivalent of the common cold here. Do what you usually do - strip him off, give him Calpol (you can get it from any pharmacy here) and let him recover. Drs here are prescription happy, so you're more than likely to come out with a carrier bag of meds that you'll hardly use.

I use Dr Nicolas & Asp in the marina (3mins walk from the Marina Metro stop) who are good. It's about 350aed a pop if you don't have insurance set up, but hey - at what price health. There a a good few clinics and hospitals that have A&E facilities - although 70% of all taxi drivers haven't got a clue where anything is and I've got in one before asking to be taken to the nearest hospital to be greeted with a blank look and asked "do you know directions?" (Argh F*^%% !).

If you do need one, Medcare is good, and they seem to know where that is ("by Safa Park"). We've also used Welcare in Media City (directions mam?) but our current preferred one is the Jebel Ali Hospital, but I haven't had to attempt that by taxi, thankfully!

EM - been here over 2 years without a car! I guess it comes down to location and if you need to do a long school run. I'd probably only use a car a couple of times a week at most - at the moment - so it'd not be worth it.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EM - been here over 2 years without a car! I guess it comes down to location and if you need to do a long school run. I'd probably only use a car a couple of times a week at most - at the moment - so it'd not be worth it.
Spot on... but TECOM would be tricky I think.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 5:38 am
ex-expat

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Spot on... but TECOM would be tricky I think.
hmmm... possible. I get the impression it's a bit like the Marain was a couple of years ago. Still, the OP's only there until they find a proper place to live - heck, we were put up in Al Barsha when we first came out here! lol
Old Mar 31st 2011, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

heck, we were put up in Al Barsha when we first came out here! lol
I'm thinking of moving there...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.