Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Another tax question I'm afraid

Another tax question I'm afraid

Old Jan 29th 2014, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Mully is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another tax question I'm afraid

I am currently living and working in Dubai and have been since Sept 2013. I am expected to be here for 3 years maybe stretching to 5 years. My question is ...
I am currently paid via the UK into a UK account by a UK company but I still pay the normal taxes I souls as if I was still in the UK. I am sure there is a logical reason for this but I would just line a plain English version.
Is this the norm ?
Who would benefit from this arrangement etc

Any help would be very much appreciated

Mark
Old Jan 30th 2014, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all
Default Re: Another tax question I'm afraid

Originally Posted by Mully
I am currently living and working in Dubai and have been since Sept 2013. I am expected to be here for 3 years maybe stretching to 5 years. My question is ...
I am currently paid via the UK into a UK account by a UK company but I still pay the normal taxes I souls as if I was still in the UK. I am sure there is a logical reason for this but I would just line a plain English version.
Is this the norm ?

Mark
You should fill in a P85 form and send it to HMRC as you should not be paying tax in the UK if you are in Dubai for 3-5 years.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 7:29 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

P85 is right. When I was in UAE I was employed by a UK company (but seconded to their sister company in UAE), paid by that UK company into my UK bank a/c, but received a Nil Tax Code and therefore did not pay any tax. Do the P85, and maybe get your company to chase it up from their side.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

There are two ways to claim exemption from UK tax:

(i) working for a single employer overseas for a complete tax year (i.e. until April 2015) - even if you're paid from the UK.
(ii) making a complete break from the UK - this is difficult and requires you to be away for several years and to cut most ties to the UK. New tests for this category (ii) came into force this year so need to be researched.

Category (i) is what will apply to you. As mentioned above, you need to fill in Form P85. There are also limits on the numbers of days you can spend in the UK on holiday or working - you can research them.

You should be able to reclaim tax paid since September 2013 by fillling in a tax return. You can reclaim everything except National Insurance (which needs to be paid for 52 weeks upon your departure). Keep your payslips.

If you return to the UK before spending one complete tax year abroad (i.e. before April 2015) you will probably have to pay tax on your entire stay overseas, so be careful. If you change employers or spend time not working before April 2015 that may affect your tax position also.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 1:38 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mully
Is this the norm ?

Mark
A suggestion: Consider starting a personal pension before the end of this tax-year (5 April). As a UK expat, you can pay in £2,880 and HMG will rebate £720 automatically, even though you pay no UK tax. This applies the to the tax-year you leave the UK and the subsequent 5 tax-years.

That's what I do, I like free money

[J]
Old Jan 30th 2014, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Mully is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks guys !