Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Another Shipping question

Another Shipping question

Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Ed Pies has a brilliant futureEd Pies has a brilliant futureEd Pies has a brilliant futureEd Pies has a brilliant futureEd Pies has a brilliant futureEd Pies has a brilliant future
Default Another Shipping question

I have a couple of quotes for shipping a 20ft container from UK, to Jebel Ali. I am paying for this myself, (no relocation allowance ) so want to be efficient as possible. What would you reccommend.

1. £3,500 all in door to door.

2. £1,000 container only. I will have to pack this myself and pay all charges at JA.

3. £1,000 for 1/4 of a container door to door. This would mean leaving larger furniture in the UK and getting new stuff in Dubai. The exta time taken for a partial load is not a problem as we will be in temporary accommodation for a while.

How much might the charges be at JA?

Apologies if this is repetition of earlier posts, but my search isn't working too well at the moment.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

TBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud of
Default Re: Another Shipping question

No relocation allowance!!!...hope they are making it up in a furniture allowance, or at least extra in the pocket I would do (1) as long as it includes all insurance and duties and packing materials....or (3) as don't bother bringing white goods as pretty cheap here....otherwise maybe you have a great accommodation allowance and rent a furnished place so don't move anything over......
Old Jun 17th 2008, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

TBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud of

...plus you could get that first quote down it is on the high side....maybe try Crowne International
Old Jun 17th 2008, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Ed Pies has a brilliant futureEd Pies has a brilliant futureEd Pies has a brilliant futureEd Pies has a brilliant futureEd Pies has a brilliant futureEd Pies has a brilliant future

I had five job offers and none offered any form of relocation. Within my industry, Architecture, at my level, it just doesn't seem to happen. They were the only firm to offer initial and annual flights for the whole family. Otherwise it is just a standard UAE package, flights, medical, garatuity etc.

I can do a quarter of a container, but will have to get sofa's, dining table, beds, white goods, etc.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Just Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really nice

Ed, doing this exercise myself at the moment albeit to Muscat instead of Dubai. I have had 3 firms quote me so far;

Crown Relo - seem to be very on the ball and know what they are doing (groupage shipment**, 520sqft = £2300 door to door)

UTS-Bourne - less impressed, full 20ft container but only 520sqft, door to door, just shy of £3k.

Also had round today Excess Baggage, was impressed with the guy who turned up, not had a price yet.

** i.e. they stick your stuff in with somebody elses container (seems much cheaper if you won't fill a 20ft.)

PS edited to say I have also had a quote of £990 for container only but it seems false economy to me, the hassle of packing yourself, price of decent packing materials and the hassle at the port (duty, paperwork etc) just doesn't work for me!

Last edited by Just Browsing; Jun 17th 2008 at 2:54 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Have used crowne on 3 occasions and we found they were excellent...also used Pickfords they were also good but value for money was Crowne....there is Ikea over here, if thats any use to know
Old Jun 17th 2008, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

just browsing have also done consolidated shipping just beware things may not arrive for a while also just make sure you have some idea who the other person is thats sharing as you just never know...
Old Jun 17th 2008, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

if you do go for consolidated make sure they crate the whole thing. Also that they crate at your residence....
Old Jun 17th 2008, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

no all companies do furniture or relocation allowance, when we came obviously a long time ago, we had 10kilos extra x 2! whoopppeee
Old Jun 17th 2008, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

You should try and get a furniture allowance (at least) - it's worth asking. Shipping is expensive - we did it years ago when we moved to UAE and then shipped stuff back again when the contract had finished and it was a false economy. We used Pickfords on the way out and Crown on the way back and both were fine. We are back in UAE now but negotiated a good furniture allowance - we were determined to arrive with only suitcases this time and it's been so much easier - less to worry about when you leave.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 6:10 pm
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

We used www.shipit.co.uk. Really, really happy with them. Would highly recommend them.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 7:00 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie View Post
You should try and get a furniture allowance (at least) - it's worth asking. Shipping is expensive - we did it years ago when we moved to UAE and then shipped stuff back again when the contract had finished and it was a false economy. We used Pickfords on the way out and Crown on the way back and both were fine. We are back in UAE now but negotiated a good furniture allowance - we were determined to arrive with only suitcases this time and it's been so much easier - less to worry about when you leave.
I did the same - makes much more sense.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Sue_M is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ed Pies View Post
I have a couple of quotes for shipping a 20ft container from UK, to Jebel Ali. I am paying for this myself, (no relocation allowance ) so want to be efficient as possible. What would you reccommend.

1. £3,500 all in door to door.

2. £1,000 container only. I will have to pack this myself and pay all charges at JA.

3. £1,000 for 1/4 of a container door to door. This would mean leaving larger furniture in the UK and getting new stuff in Dubai. The exta time taken for a partial load is not a problem as we will be in temporary accommodation for a while.

How much might the charges be at JA?

Apologies if this is repetition of earlier posts, but my search isn't working too well at the moment.
I arranged for the door to door service, and to be honest, I really regret shipping things out here, I wish I had not bothered. All my goods were searched by customs - I am clearly a dodgy character - some items disappeared - anyone need one shoe? - and many items got damaged or extremely dirty, as if they were kicked around a warehouse. All my boxes arrived open, with the goods spilling out.

The port charges were extortionate, and were not included in the 'door to door' service, which I only discovered once the goods had arrived here. All in all, a terrible experience. I would NOT recommend Express Exports.

Furniture etc seems reasonably cheap, particularly when you consider that your salary is tax free. Also, furniture which fits in your house in the UK would not necessary fit here.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

People do have differing experiences, but sounds like Sue got the mickey took out of her by a less than professional experience. After all, door to door is exactly that - you shouldn't have been charged port charges or anything else, unless you delayed the delivery of your goods for a considerable time once they reached Dubai.

From the people that I know that have used door to door, it is generally a better experience than this, with stuff arriving untouched. When I had stuff sent over door to door, everything worked like a dream.

However several posters on here have also sent their stuff throught the airport freezone and recommended this also, collecting their stuff and a simple clearance - although a few people I know have also got caught in some messy beaurocracy there..

As usual, horses for courses..
Old Jun 19th 2008, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

Nina2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

hmm....sounds like shipping is contentious. what sort of furniture is avbl in AD, and is it expensive? And do most of u get an allowance that u can pocket if u dont use, or a fixed quantity (eg half container) that will go to waste if u dont utilise it? I will only know my final package abt 2 mths before i move (sep 08), as my company is negotiating that with our employers (govt) in AD. I know the basics will be taken care of tho - ie housing, education, shipping, relocation, annual home travel, etc allowances. just no idea how much yet! would appreciate any advise on quantums.