Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Another new Dubai expat...

Another new Dubai expat...

Old Oct 15th 2006, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

exeexile is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another new Dubai expat...

Just saying a quick hello.....first post...and first of many I hope....moved out from th Uk (haven't we all?).....found the forum really useful so far, and if you don't mind will probablly pick all your brains at some point for somethig.

Oh, one question anyone know the best place to lease a car from? obviously haven't got the residence visa yet will this be a problem?
Old Oct 15th 2006, 7:06 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another new Dubai expat...

Originally Posted by exeexile
Just saying a quick hello.....first post...and first of many I hope....moved out from th Uk (haven't we all?).....found the forum really useful so far, and if you don't mind will probablly pick all your brains at some point for somethig.

Oh, one question anyone know the best place to lease a car from? obviously haven't got the residence visa yet will this be a problem?
I've never rented as car in the UAE - however as far as I am aware you can rent a car as long as you DO NOT have a residency. i.e. - you're fine for now.

This may have changed, but I think it still applies...

Pick away. Just use your discretion with what you believe...
Old Oct 16th 2006, 3:54 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exeexile

We used National Rental at airport which wasn't bad, check as your company may have good rates with specific companies.

You can rent without residency, just take your UK license. Once you get residency you cannot rent until you get a UAE driving license, this is one of the easier things to get here though. Take the documentation to traffic police (we sed Bur Dubai office on SZR and should get it within 30 mins depending on time of day (both times we went at 10:00am and no queues.

I would recommend investing in a Dubai Explorer and another book by the same publishers, something like 'The Red Tape Guide to Dubai' - they can save a lot of time!
Old Oct 16th 2006, 4:52 am
W10

Try holiday autos

Old Oct 16th 2006, 4:53 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Car Fayre at Media City is good. We used them when first arrived. You also get a discount if you're a DMC/DIC employee.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 6:29 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
You can rent without residency, just take your UK license. Once you get residency you cannot rent until you get a UAE driving license, this is one of the easier things to get here though.
Can we just clarify that please? Do you mean you can't BUY until you get your UAE licence?
Also, I've read in the Explorer and heard from others that you can get a temporary licence which enables you to drive a private car. Getting the finance to buy it wihout a residency visa may not be easy though.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 6:37 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Can we just clarify that please? Do you mean you can't BUY until you get your UAE licence?
Also, I've read in the Explorer and heard from others that you can get a temporary licence which enables you to drive a private car. Getting the finance to buy it wihout a residency visa may not be easy though.
You cannot rent once you have residency - to rent a car you show your passport and driving license, if you have residency in your passport you must have a valid Dubai driver license.

Anyone can get a temporary license - we had friends who had family visiting and got the sister a temporary license to drive their car. I'm not sure on insurance though, I'd expect something in the very small print making visitors liable for any accident within a 5 mile radius
Old Oct 16th 2006, 6:58 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot rent once you have residency - to rent a car you show your passport and driving license, if you have residency in your passport you must have a valid Dubai driver license.
You have got to be ****ING JOKING! What kind of arse-about-face nonsense is that? You can't get the UAE licence without the visa!

I'm renting two cars at the moment - one for me and one for the wife. What happens when I get my visa? Do I have to give the rental car back and then remain sans voiture until I get a UAE licence? REALLY WELL THOUGHT OUT LAW, THAT ONE!

Or can I just keep the one I rented... ? Or can I get a temporary licence?
Old Oct 16th 2006, 7:03 am
Big Member

You have got to be ****ING JOKING! What kind of arse-about-face nonsense is that? You can't get the UAE licence without the visa!

I'm renting two cars at the moment - one for me and one for the wife. What happens when I get my visa? Do I have to give the rental car back and then remain sans voiture until I get a UAE licence? REALLY WELL THOUGHT OUT LAW, THAT ONE!

You can probably keep car, they aren't to know. When you get residency go straight to traffic dept and get a license to be safe.

We just hired the car in my wifes name, then if there was any speeding fines, accidents etc. they could just deport her. Didn't work though, she's still here.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 7:10 am
Excess Baggage

You can probably keep car, they aren't to know. When you get residency go straight to traffic dept and get a license to be safe.

We just hired the car in my wifes name, then if there was any speeding fines, accidents etc. they could just deport her. Didn't work though, she's still here.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

I drove 3-4 months my own bought car without having a licence....
It wasnt one of the smartest things I did...Even managed to pass a checkpoint,with my balls in my hands....
Old Oct 16th 2006, 8:08 am
W10

Originally Posted by shoushou
Even managed to pass a checkpoint,with my balls in my hands....
That's probably why you passed through. I imagine you have a magnificent pair.

Old Oct 16th 2006, 11:47 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

When I arrived (end of March last year), the rule was that if you entered the UAE on an employment visa (as opposed to a tourist visa), you could not drive *either* a private or rental car until you had your residency. Once you had that, though, you could rent a car on a foreign licence, although you were supposed to get a UAE licence as soon as possible.

That wasn't too much of a problem for me because I had my residency within 7 days. Some of my colleagues who also came in on employment visas did choose to rent cars in the period before getting their residency, which was strictly speaking illegal and could have caused them all kinds of hassle if they'd been involved in an accident.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

exeexile is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GarethR
When I arrived (end of March last year), the rule was that if you entered the UAE on an employment visa (as opposed to a tourist visa), you could not drive *either* a private or rental car until you had your residency. Once you had that, though, you could rent a car on a foreign licence, although you were supposed to get a UAE licence as soon as possible.

That wasn't too much of a problem for me because I had my residency within 7 days. Some of my colleagues who also came in on employment visas did choose to rent cars in the period before getting their residency, which was strictly speaking illegal and could have caused them all kinds of hassle if they'd been involved in an accident.
Thanks for all the replies....GarethR...how did you get your residency so quick? did your company process it for you it did you do it yourself?
Old Oct 16th 2006, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by W10
That's probably why you passed through. I imagine you have a magnificent pair.
They were magnificent....The officers I mean,for letting me through....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.