Reload this Page >

Al Qurayyat, saudi arabia

Al Qurayyat, saudi arabia

Old Mar 29th 2015, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

greenhouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Al Qurayyat, saudi arabia

Hi all,

I'm possibly looking at being sent to Al qurayyat, saudi arabia for a few days for work. I've never been to the middle east before let alone Saudi Arabia.

If the work is not happening here it will be in riyadh, either we will be flying to Riyadh and then looking to get an internal flight to Al Qurayyat.

I am after some advice please on whether or not working up in the North West of the country is safe? The area looks to be in the middle of nowhere and I am a little concerned with security. This is the only hotel that was found by the travel team:

Wsayef Al Qurayyat Hotel, Al Qurayyāt, Saudi Arabia - Booking.com

I've read that Expats/travelers only stay in secure compounds, is this true. Also would we be safe stuck in an area where we would stick out like sore thumbs?? Would the local taxis be safe, how would the local be?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:04 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Al Qurayyat, saudi arabia

Sounds like you're going to be in the middle of nowhere so you wouldn't find a compound anyway.
Generally speaking Saudi is safe for foreigners and most people are very friendly. That's not to say you won't get stared or shouted at though.
It's only for a few days and I'm sure you will be fine. Why don't you try to get in touch with the people at the Saudi side and they can look after you.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 11:02 am
Just Joined

uledssul is an unknown quantity at this point

Being in Saudi for a year and an half, it should be fairly safe.
However, concerning the recent issue in Yemen, keeping low profile in public is recommended.

People here are generally welcoming, but there are always a small number of extremists anywhere in this country.

Save the emergency phone numbers of close embassy and consulate for any case.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the feedback, my colleague and I feel a little better now. All the paper work is coming together now. We were mainly concerned that a local might to see us a easy pickings and make a phone call to some unsavory characters! Plus the only hotel there is 2* with not many reviews.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Wow close to Amman. Is that close to phosphate mines? Been to Al Ula in NW saudi. Great place.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 3:36 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greenhouse
Thanks for the feedback, my colleague and I feel a little better now. All the paper work is coming together now. We were mainly concerned that a local might to see us a easy pickings and make a phone call to some unsavory characters! Plus the only hotel there is 2* with not many reviews.
More likely is that they will stop you and ask you to sit down and drink some tea or eat food with you.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Hi Flares, you've been here here before. There is not much here! Amman, in Jordan?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...fb484f7d9c2414

Originally Posted by flares
Wow close to Amman. Is that close to phosphate mines? Been to Al Ula in NW saudi. Great place.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 7:50 am
Just Joined

I would probably be a little anxious if a local did approach me, but would be very open to talk, there could be a language barrier issue though!

I would be interested so try the local food.

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
More likely is that they will stop you and ask you to sit down and drink some tea or eat food with you.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

super_hans is an unknown quantity at this point

Just relax and enjoy the experience. No harm with keeping an eye out for anything obviously suspicious, but in all honestly the only angry words I've ever had with a local is when he has driven into the back of my car.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Thanks super_hans, if everything is sorted out and we go I certainly will. The furthest I've flown for work is Scotland and that was a few years ago!

Originally Posted by super_hans
Just relax and enjoy the experience. No harm with keeping an eye out for anything obviously suspicious, but in all honestly the only angry words I've ever had with a local is when he has driven into the back of my car.
Old Apr 4th 2015, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Just have to remember shaking your cup at the host means you've finished not that you want more! The caffeine content can leave you with the jitters