advise needed

Old May 16th 2008, 4:54 am
Just Joined

lo_co is an unknown quantity at this point
Default advise needed

Hi All

I was hoping for some advise relating to my employment contract.

I have been working for a Bahrain company for three months, before leaving Aus I signed a two year employment contract. The contract includes salary, housing allowance, car allowance, return air fares to country of origin for myself and my family, relocation costs and incentive bonuses.

Since starting there have been some changes within the organisation a new CEO appointed. The new CEO has said there is going to be new contracts issued, with different pay scales he has indicated I am one of the highest paid in the company.

To make matters worse the company has been unable to get my residence visa so I am still on a visitor visa.

I was wondering can they change my contract after I have signed a contract and do I have any employment rights here in Bahrain.

I am hoping someone can give me some advise on this matter.

Thanks
Old May 16th 2008, 5:46 am
On the look out

smilingcamel will become famous soon enoughsmilingcamel will become famous soon enough
Default Re: advise needed

I cant contribute very much but my understanding after being in the gulf a few years now is that the company should not be employing you without having a work permit. Is there any reason stated why they cannot get you a residence visa? Reason for asking is that I have been offered a job in Bahrain myself and ready to move from Dubai. The company keeps saying that they havent got the work permit approved and seem to be fluffing around making different excuses. It has put me in a difficult position also as the big boss of the same company was pushing me for an early start so I am now ready to roll and the HR department are saying there is a delay with the permit. I can see myself back in blighty soon because of this problem.....The UAE seems to be quite a quick process for permits, Bahrain is obviously not the same.
The contract change seems to be a common practice in this region and has happened to me in the past....generally its been a take it or leave it situation in my case. I am sure there are labour departments that can take up the case but I guess it would be a long drawn process. Best of luck.......
Old May 17th 2008, 3:48 am
Just Joined

HI

Thanks for the advice I had a feeling the employer had more rights than the employee and not having a residency visa or work permit make it even more complicated.

The HR manager keeps telling me different stories why they cant get my visa. It does seem to take a long time here to get your work permit and residency visa but I have been here over 3 months now.

The project I am working on will not continue if I am not here to manage it so the way I see it they need me more than I need them.

I will keep you posted on any developments and if you need any thing when you arrive in Bahrain PM

lo_co
Old May 29th 2008, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

you sure are in a weaker spot right now...I had to wait 7 months for noc and cpr- and it turns out this was a genuine stuff-up.
Our compound includes people who waited only 1 week- 2 weeks!

Apparantly an incentive to push things along is helpful. This obviously didn't happen in my case, but have had this confirmed by others.

Don't bank on how indispensible you are- its quite unique as they aren't intimidated by that sort of thing- they'll just as easily put a 1 biilion dinar project on hold.

Hope it works out for you- we love the place most of the time

Originally Posted by lo_co
HI

Thanks for the advice I had a feeling the employer had more rights than the employee and not having a residency visa or work permit make it even more complicated.

The HR manager keeps telling me different stories why they cant get my visa. It does seem to take a long time here to get your work permit and residency visa but I have been here over 3 months now.

The project I am working on will not continue if I am not here to manage it so the way I see it they need me more than I need them.

I will keep you posted on any developments and if you need any thing when you arrive in Bahrain PM

lo_co
Old May 29th 2008, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info.

Things are looking up, my contract is not going to be changed but I am still waiting for my residency visa and CPR.

I am coming to love the place most of the time too, starting to cope with the weather, I would just love to see it rain sometimes.

lo_co
Old May 30th 2008, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

hey! good news.

ps. the indespensible comment- didn't mean to sound conceited... you obviously knew what I meant...keep well ...heard somewhere that gay guys use smilies...hmmmm

Originally Posted by lo_co
Thanks for the info.

Things are looking up, my contract is not going to be changed but I am still waiting for my residency visa and CPR.

I am coming to love the place most of the time too, starting to cope with the weather, I would just love to see it rain sometimes.

lo_co
Old May 31st 2008, 5:41 am
Just Joined

Hi

Not a problem knew what you meant by the comment. Heard the same thing about smiles although their smiles are a lot more bling bling. LOL no offence intended.

lo_co