Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Advise - Excess Baggage, Riyadh

Advise - Excess Baggage, Riyadh

Old May 24th 2013, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

hammer28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advise - Excess Baggage, Riyadh

Hello Guys, I will be moving to Riyadh around first week of July and I need your advice on excess baggage. My company is providing me with a lump sum mobilisation allowance instead of using relocation company. This is my first international move and I am not sure which option is more suitable, sea freight or air?

Please can anyone share his air freight experience? What about custom duty, do I need pay any or just handling charges at Riyadh airport? Any suggestions for good air freight company??? How do people transport excess baggage from airport, I mean is there ‘man with Van’ like service in Riyadh?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.
Old May 24th 2013, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advise - Excess Baggage, Riyadh

When I went to Jeddah with the airline I was given 400kg excess baggage for each member of the family ! Hardly used any of it.

Air freight is common in this part of the world. If you take in household goods, there is no import duty. Make sure that you do not include any idols, graven images, stills or paraphernalia for the consumption of drugs !

You may want to use a shipping company. If you take it as accompanied baggage get a taxi from the airport at Riyadh. Have a few hundred Saudi Riyals in cash with you when you arrive.

Is your accommodation arranged ?
Old May 25th 2013, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

No need to take more than a suitcase to Riyadh. You need the company to provide fully furnished accommodation in a compound. Ask them to give you the money instead of the freight allowance.
Old May 25th 2013, 6:47 am
Off Topic

northbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nice

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
No need to take more than a suitcase to Riyadh... Ask them to give you the money instead of the freight allowance.
Very true.
1 piece 23kg checked and 1 piece 10kg hand baggage is enough. Instead of paying for excess baggage use your allowance to buy necessary stuff here.
Old May 25th 2013, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Scot, northbadawi, gottheTshirt - much appreciated. Our excess baggage mainly includes clothes, shoes, books, small appliances etc no heavy house hold. I am also more inclined to use air freight than sea. Any suggestions for good air freight companies?

Regarding accommodation, I will be staying at hotel until my permanent accommodation is not sorted out. Again its an allowance for housing SAR7000. is it sufficient to secure good accommodation?

Last edited by hammer28; May 25th 2013 at 4:33 pm.
Old May 25th 2013, 4:38 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hammer28
Thank you Scot, much appreciated. Our excess baggage mainly includes clothes, shoes, books, small appliances etc no heavy house hold. I am also more inclined to air freight than sea.

Regarding accommodation, I will be staying at hotel until my permanent accommodation is not sorted out. Again its an allowance for housing SAR7000. is it sufficient to secure good accommodation?
7000 per month might just about get you a one bed studio on a compound if there were any available. Better get your company to provide the accommodation as you will find it nearly impossible to source. Unless you plan to live outside a compound.
Old May 25th 2013, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
7000 per month might just about get you a one bed studio on a compound if there were any available. Better get your company to provide the accommodation as you will find it nearly impossible to source. Unless you plan to live outside a compound.
thanks, I know that this allowance is not sufficient for compound accommodation, I am negotiating see how things unfold, initially they offered me SAR 4000 and then increased it to 7000 but I am pushing them for company accommodation than allowance, total package 30K all in.

By the way how is Parsons standing in Saudi or ME market? Probably I will be working on MOH project.
Old May 27th 2013, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are happy to live off compund, there are lots of apartments in Jeddah.
Old May 27th 2013, 9:30 am
Just Joined

thanks Scot, living outside compound will be only option if they do not offer me company housing, I am moving to Riyadh. Do they have small apartment compounds, normally comprised of different size apartment, allocated parking, guarded and few communal facilities. what is rent range?? thanks for your time.
Old May 27th 2013, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ah - not sure about Riyadh