Reload this Page >

Advice for teaching in Dubai

Advice for teaching in Dubai

Old Sep 25th 2011, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Jilly81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for teaching in Dubai

Hi everyone

I have 7 years teaching experience and fancy a change. I am thinking of moving out to Dubai next year if I can get a job...can anyone sell Dubai to me?!

Thanks
Old Sep 25th 2011, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for teaching in Dubai

Originally Posted by Jilly81
Hi everyone
I have 7 years teaching experience and fancy a change. I am thinking of moving out to Dubai next year if I can get a job...can anyone sell Dubai to me?! Thanks
Why on earth would we want to sell Dubai to you? We have plenty of British teachers here already, most of whom are here simply to escape the cold British winter and are poorly motivated. Why not try teaching in Sub Saharan Africa or somewhere that needs you?

Last edited by mentalist; Sep 25th 2011 at 10:23 am.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

I have 7 years teaching experience and fancy a change. I am thinking of moving out to Dubai next year if I can get a job...can anyone sell Dubai to me?!

Thanks

How about you take your mouse for some exercise and look for the search function?
Old Sep 25th 2011, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mentalist
Why on earth would we want to sell Dubai to you? We have plenty of British teachers here already, most of whom are here simply to escape the cold British winter and are poorly motivated. Why not try teaching in Sub Saharan Africa or somewhere that needs you?
I am highly motivated and was looking for advice from BRITISH EXPATS!!
Old Sep 25th 2011, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
How about you take your mouse for some exercise and look for the search function?
Like you took your mouse for some exercise and joined a British Expats website!
Old Sep 25th 2011, 10:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Hi everyone

Thanks
Although it's fun (as you've seen) to just hurl some abuse at people asking questions, I suggest the following;

- Go on the TES Forums and ask people who have worked overseas, esp Dubai
- Use the Search function on this forum, plenty have asked many of the same and some different questions
- Send your details to GEMS et al and other large School businesses (because that's what they are)
- Approach Principals directly
- Keep an open mind on money, you won't be paid an extortionate or even that much (if at all) better than in the UK.

Good luck
Old Sep 25th 2011, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
poorly motivated

bout knocks the nail on the head...
Old Sep 25th 2011, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Scamp
Although it's fun (as you've seen) to just hurl some abuse at people asking questions, I suggest the following;

- Go on the TES Forums and ask people who have worked overseas, esp Dubai
- Use the Search function on this forum, plenty have asked many of the same and some different questions
- Send your details to GEMS et al and other large School businesses (because that's what they are)
- Approach Principals directly
- Keep an open mind on money, you won't be paid an extortionate or even that much (if at all) better than in the UK.

Good luck
Thanks for your advice i'll take a look at the TES forums
Old Sep 25th 2011, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
bout knocks the nail on the head...
BANG BANG!
Old Sep 25th 2011, 11:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

BANG BANG!
You strike me (excuse the pun) as a bit mental. You'll be fine out here
Old Sep 25th 2011, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Scamp
You strike me (excuse the pun) as a bit mental. You'll be fine out here
ha ha no i'm not mental just can't be bothered with crappy immature comments! i am finding the forums on TES much more sensible!

Thanks though!
Old Sep 25th 2011, 12:19 pm
Account Closed

ha ha no i'm not mental just can't be bothered with crappy immature comments! i am finding the forums on TES much more sensible!

Thanks though!
Take some of the TES stuff with a pinch of salt though, there are lots of seasoned techerfolk on there that are extremely narrow minded.

If i were you, i'd be asking here and the TES to get a bit more balance, people on here are from a variety of industries and will have lots of different opinions / trains of thought to that of just a group of teachers (and vice versa)
Old Sep 25th 2011, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know... You showed all the signs of being adaptable to the Middle East, and then you blew it...

Shame! Open minds and all that...there are worse places to go. Open open up and you will find, good or bad, that the experience is never to be forgotten!
Old Sep 25th 2011, 12:54 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks though!
It's a funny old forum this pet, sure you can find something out here.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is to your credit that your writing and spelling skills are the best of any teacher that dared come this way.

Then again it's still not saying much.

Thanks though!