Reload this Page >

advice re moving to dubai

advice re moving to dubai

Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:28 am
Just Joined

honey_ab is an unknown quantity at this point
Default advice re moving to dubai

Hi,

Those of you already live in Dubai, do you have any advice? Anything you'd wished you'd known prior to moving? Anything you wish had done differently?

Thank you for your help.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of
Default Re: advice re moving to dubai

I suppose the advice we can offer depends on your situation.

I would say the things you are going to need heaps of patience and persistence. Hopefully your husbands company will deal with most of the paperwork, but be prepared for your fair share of bureaucracy.

Don't get into debt.

Try and get out and make new friends here

Don't get sucked into living a lifestyle that is beyond your means.

Make the most of the weather in the cooler months.

Make sure you have skype on your computer, and that your friends and family back home have it installed and know how to use it.

Thats the biggies for me.

There's plenty of good advice on this forum, cost of living, schools etc, so have a good search through.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Thanks Robajob.

Have you got any advice on how to meet people? Are there any regular hobby groups that meet up, etc....where would they be advertised.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 8:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I wish I'd had more golf lessons before moving, learning on these courses isn't too simple.

I wish I'd developed more patience but I'm slowly getting there.

I wish I'd not bothered spending the 4 quid or whatever it was on an International Driving Permit.

I'd definitely look at things like DuPlays for sports teams, seems well organised.

You'll make friends through work normally, so take a job, make some friends and you'll grow the network from there.

Save money, if you don't earn much then try to have 10,000 just set aside that you don't touch so you can get a flight out of this joint in a hurry if needs be.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 8:55 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honey_ab
Thanks Robajob.

Have you got any advice on how to meet people? Are there any regular hobby groups that meet up, etc....where would they be advertised.
Try meetup : Link to UAE groups

or

http://www.Internations.org
Old Sep 17th 2013, 9:08 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Robajob.

Time Out lists all sorts of events and groups and is a great starting point. It's online but cost just Dhs 7 a copy each week.

What are your hobbies/interests?
Old Sep 17th 2013, 12:45 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE once you get a job you will start to meet new people, good luck
Old Sep 17th 2013, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all. You've been really helpful.

Scamp, Can I ask why you wish you hadn't bothered to get an international driving licence?
Old Sep 17th 2013, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

749 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Welcome to BE once you get a job you will start to meet new people, good luck
Guys,
Can anyone advise whats is the decent jobs site, in Dubai? I'm UK expat, new to Dubai and looking for a job in Dubai, sales
Thanks
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Thank you all. You've been really helpful.

Scamp, Can I ask why you wish you hadn't bothered to get an international driving licence?
Because it was pointless.

I hired a Lancerghini on my UK license, once visa was sorted you just swap it for a UAE one...no need whatsoever. BUT...I've still got it (prob out of date) because it looks like a ration book.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:34 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Because it was pointless.

I hired a Lancerghini on my UK license, once visa was sorted you just swap it for a UAE one...no need whatsoever. BUT...I've still got it (prob out of date) because it looks like a ration book.
The law says you should have an IDP if driving on a non-UAE licence (prior to getting residency) so it's academic whether you were asked to show it or not. Not having one is a potential problem in the event of an accident.

An IDP is only valid for 12 months.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meow
The law says you should have an IDP if driving on a non-UAE licence (prior to getting residency) so it's academic whether you were asked to show it or not. Not having one is a potential problem in the event of an accident.

An IDP is only valid for 12 months.
The budget Indian garage where I got my car from didn't give a monkeys about anything.

I hit a lump of concrete on a site and put a head sized dent in the plastic bumper. They asked if I had red/green slip, said neither and they gave me two thumbs up, charged me 500 dizzers. RESULT.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:47 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Scamp
The budget Indian garage where I got my car from didn't give a monkeys about anything.

I hit a lump of concrete on a site and put a head sized dent in the plastic bumper. They asked if I had red/green slip, said neither and they gave me two thumbs up, charged me 500 dizzers. RESULT.

You are totally missing the point. If the requirement is for the IDP and you don't have one - no matter whether you have been asked to show it or not - your insurance could be invalidated.

What if you'd had an accident that caused thousands of dirhams worth of damage, or someone had been injured or killed? Just not worth the risk.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meow
You are totally missing the point. If the requirement is for the IDP and you don't have one - no matter whether you have been asked to show it or not - your insurance could be invalidated.

What if you'd had an accident that caused thousands of dirhams worth of damage, or someone had been injured or killed? Just not worth the risk.
I haven't missed the point at all. Just passing comment that mine has never seen the light of day, been asked for, been mentioned or even considered when I hired a car.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had a IDP in DXB and when I did have one in Kuwait and showed it the Po PO man (and I quote) said "what is this sheet" and threw it across the car.

I doubt may Po Po's even know what one is.

If you have a UK licence you'll be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.