Advice for Qatar

Old May 29th 2014, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

BillyBobbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for Qatar

Hello all,

I am a qualified teacher, native English speaker and have been offered a position at Newton International School in Doha. With free accommodation and supposed amenities paid (bills, transportation etc), one air ticket for me (but I think not for my wife and 20 month old child),local medical coverage (again, I think only for me), the offer is 10,000 salary. We are not into a luxurious lifestyle and my inkling is that I could make a decent saving each month. Am I right in what I think? I would like to pay private medical insurance for my child. Any idea how much this would cost? I have other concerns too. The interview when I spoke to a high positioned person from the school, seemed to go well and all seemed well when applying for the teaching job. Since then, I have read a lot of negative comments about the possibility to be shafted financially and that the staff may be unhappy at that school. Does anyone know if this is still the case, as the posts are from a couple of years ago? Also, my wife is a medical geneticist, so she could be interested in work in maybe a year's time. Are there opportunities for professions like that? Thanking you in advance for any info really that can help me to decide whether to take this opportunity or not.
Old May 29th 2014, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice
Default Re: Advice for Qatar

10,000 QAR per month is a bit on the low side, even with accommodation paid...
Old May 29th 2014, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Debowing
10,000 QAR per month is a bit on the low side, even with accommodation paid...
Thank you Debowing for your quick reply.

I was comparing prices for groceries and thought that 10,000 would be plenty with savings to spare for all of this for my family (of 3). Is there something specific that maybe I am missing?
Old May 30th 2014, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Benny80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Billy, dunno how familiar you are with the Mid East but Qatar aint Butlins. The main reason most people come to Qatar is for the money, so you have to be saving a lot more than you could in other locations to make it worth it.

The ME forum has an "is it worth it?' calculator that gives a good idea of costs.
Old May 30th 2014, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Benny80
Hey Billy, dunno how familiar you are with the Mid East but Qatar aint Butlins. The main reason most people come to Qatar is for the money, so you have to be saving a lot more than you could in other locations to make it worth it.

The ME forum has an "is it worth it?' calculator that gives a good idea of costs.
Why would anyone contemplate attempting to live here on QAR 10,000 month - am I missing something !! What is the point of Qatar if it is not to distribute the petro-chem dollars back to the people who paid it in. If you want to work for charity go to Africa - Qatar doesn't need philanthropist !!
Old May 30th 2014, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the advice.
Old May 31st 2014, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

To put things in perspective you really should be getting an offer somewhere between 15k and 20k to make it worthwhile as first job in the Gulf. Qatar is a hard place for newcomers and it is even harder for those used to places like Dubai...I would suggest trying to negotiate this offer a bit up, at least QAR 15k...
Old May 31st 2014, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the advice. I have written to the school, but doubt the offer will be enhanced. You have helped me a lot. Cheers
Old May 31st 2014, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=BillyBobbio;11283483]Thank you for the advice. I have written to the school, but doubt the offer will be enhanced. You have helped me a lot. Cheers[/QUO

I would stay FAR away from the Newton or any "local" schools.