Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Advice Please on starting a business...

Advice Please on starting a business...

Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

kegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nice
Default Advice Please on starting a business...

Hi, I'm new to this site - but a regular on the Oz site! I was wondering how difficult it would be for a foreigner to start a business in Dubai? It would be selling personalised music CDs for children (already huge in the UK), and I'm thinking it could do well in Dubai - both with the big expat population and with the huge number of foreign visitors.

Does anyone have experience of doing anything like that or can put me in the right direction for some good information?

Are there lots of young expat mums and dads in Dubai or is it really a singles culture?

Many thanks....
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Advice Please on starting a business...

Originally Posted by kegsta
Hi, I'm new to this site - but a regular on the Oz site! I was wondering how difficult it would be for a foreigner to start a business in Dubai? It would be selling personalised music CDs for children (already huge in the UK), and I'm thinking it could do well in Dubai - both with the big expat population and with the huge number of foreign visitors.

Does anyone have experience of doing anything like that or can put me in the right direction for some good information?

Are there lots of young expat mums and dads in Dubai or is it really a singles culture?

Many thanks....
I'm not the best person to answer, but i think most people would be enjoying their weekend's out there by now... but there are a lot of family's out there so you should have a market although i'm quite sure what you mean by personalised CD's...

Not sure if the laws have changed but unless you're in a "free zone" you have to have an emirati as a business partner to sponsor the business.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:37 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

yes cham is right and you will need a lot of money! I mean alot! there is alot of red tape here and if you were thinking of opening up a retail outlet expect to pay extortionate rents. I wouldn't dream of trying to start a business up out here, it would drive me mad!!! How about selling your CD's via another retailer? said ELC or something like that.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:55 pm

beebee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
yes cham is right and you will need a lot of money! I mean alot! there is alot of red tape here and if you were thinking of opening up a retail outlet expect to pay extortionate rents. I wouldn't dream of trying to start a business up out here, it would drive me mad!!! How about selling your CD's via another retailer? said ELC or something like that.
And there's always door to door like the chinese DVD people..
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

or how about over the web but concentrate marketing, PR and advertising in Dubai so you people will still order?

how about an mp3 service? get them to order all the tracks and you can basically then allow them to download all of them in one zipped file (nothing more annoying than having to download 18 tracks seperately
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by beebee
And there's always door to door like the chinese DVD people..
you have those there too?
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:58 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cham128
yup we have got them here ! we got everything here!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128
They are always sneaking about after dark..
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:01 pm

yup we have got them here ! we got everything here!
Apart from kebab vans...
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from kebab vans...
but we don't need them, there's a shawarma shop wherever you turn, lol...

MM, xx
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
but we don't need them, there's a shawarma shop wherever you turn, lol...

MM, xx
Its not the same..
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Its not the same..
no...it isn't a health hazard and actually tastes decent when sober, lmao...

MM, xx
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:17 pm

no...it isn't a health hazard and actually tastes decent when sober, lmao...

MM, xx
sometimes I like a little something thats bad for me...
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sometimes I like a little something thats bad for me...
ohhh me too...but it sure as hell isn't a kebab from a van...!!

MM, xx
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:22 pm

ohhh me too...but it sure as hell isn't a kebab from a van...!!

MM, xx
Oh.. I've eaten worse..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.