Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Advice on moving to qatar

Advice on moving to qatar

Old May 27th 2012, 9:05 am
Just Joined

laraliz89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on moving to qatar

Me and my partner may have the opportunity to move out to qatar soon.
I have lots of questions that i need answered, if there is anyone that is currently living in qatar or has previously lived there and can give me an honest reflection of what it is like there please can you pm me, and anyone that works in qatar within the aircraft industry would also be of great help thanks in advance!
Old May 27th 2012, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on moving to qatar

Originally Posted by laraliz89
Me and my partner may have the opportunity to move out to qatar soon.
I have lots of questions that i need answered, if there is anyone that is currently living in qatar or has previously lived there and can give me an honest reflection of what it is like there please can you pm me, and anyone that works in qatar within the aircraft industry would also be of great help thanks in advance!
Look through the threads , there's loads of info in there for you , most of what you're looking for will be available .

Just a word of warning , it's against the law here to live together if you're not married , if you get caught you'll be deported after a short spell in the nick .

Last edited by co durham boy; May 27th 2012 at 9:27 am.
Old May 27th 2012, 9:38 am
Just Joined

ok thats not a problem our wedding is set anyway so we will just have to bring it forward ok i will take a look, still trying to get use to this site. thanks for replying
Old May 27th 2012, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

ok thats not a problem our wedding is set anyway so we will just have to bring it forward ok i will take a look, still trying to get use to this site. thanks for replying
Use the search button at the top of the page, just type in "life in doha" there are about 8 pages with lots of info .
If that doesn't answer your question post again
welcome to the 'bored'
Old May 27th 2012, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Qatar is pretty much a sh*t hole....unless you're gonna be earning bucket loads i'd keep away.
Old May 27th 2012, 11:19 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
Qatar is pretty much a sh*t hole....unless you're gonna be earning bucket loads i'd keep away.
Care to elaborate for the poster??
Old May 27th 2012, 11:34 am
Just Joined

whats classed as bucket loads there?
Old May 27th 2012, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Use the search button at the top of the page, just type in "life in doha" there are about 8 pages with lots of info .
If that doesn't answer your question post again
welcome to the 'bored'
Great thankyou
Old May 27th 2012, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mission

Whats classed as bucket loads? are you or have you lived there? i dont come from the most spectacular of places at the minute and theres not a lot at all to do here especially as it rains most of the time
Old May 27th 2012, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Are you going to be a QA pilot's wife? I think they have their own community...go to www.expatwoman.com the Qatar chapter, and ask for them...there are a few on there I believe. Good luck!
Old May 27th 2012, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Alexa
Are you going to be a QA pilot's wife? I think they have their own community...go to www.expatwoman.com the Qatar chapter, and ask for them...there are a few on there I believe. Good luck!
No hes an aircraft engineer
Old May 27th 2012, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

No hes an aircraft engineer
Ah ok. Sorry, can't help much with the QA package. I think QA has allocated housing on Ain Khaled Gate compound. Have never been, but have heard that the QA people love it there.
Other than that, Qatar is not the best and not the worst place...shopping is ok, bit on the expensive side though.
You can get pretty much anything here...not at all times, so when you do see something you want/like , stock up! As it might be out of stock for the next 2 months!
Now it's hot, about 45 to 50C, will be this way until late September.
Ramadan is coming up, not the best time over here. Most people will be leaving because it's the annual summer migration.

There are plenty of Restauants of various categories and tastes, booze is available at bars and clubs at the hotels, very expensive though.

Med care is pretty mediocre, but you'll probably survive it

xoxo
Old May 28th 2012, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

If God were to give the world an Enema, he would put the tube in Doha!
Old May 28th 2012, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackthehat
If God were to give the world an Enema, he would put the tube in Doha!
and send the exiting mess to Saudi??
Old May 28th 2012, 10:43 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
and send the exiting mess to Saudi??