Advice on Dubai

Old Feb 27th 2005, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

oilhack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Dubai

Hi forum,

I have the opportunity to work in Dubai and am pondering whether I should take it up. I am a 29-year-old journalist and I could be offered the chance of launching a publication with a British publishing company based in the region. I've lived and worked as a freelance in Calcutta in India and know what it takes to adapt to a different culture and climate, but have had little exposure to the Middle East.

But I have some questions about the emirate, which I hope some kind expat can answer:
1. I have read that any contract you sign with an employer is worthless as there are no laws to enforce it - is this true?
2. Is it true that I have to be living in Dubai before my wife can get a spouse visa to settle there?
3. I have read that some expats complain of being bored and lonely in Dubai - is this truly the case?
4. How does Dubai's cost of living compare to London?
5. What is the expat community like? I have visited expat "colonies" in Spain and Cyprus and I'm not too keen on their "burger, chips and lager" mentality - ie they refuse to integrate with the locals and sing "Rule Britannia" at any given opportunity. Are British expats in Dubai a bit more intelligent than that?
6. What are the major draw-backs to life in Dubai?
7. What is the best thing about living and working in Dubai?

I'd be grateful if someone could dispell any myths and misconceptions about life in Dubai, so I can come to a judgement on whether I would like to live out there.

Cheers.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 2:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Dubai

Welcome to the forum.

As for cost of living, well you could read through some of the threads here, or check out the faq, it'll have a list of things to do and the like and a general idea on housing.

DXB is what you make of it, much like anything...it has it's pro's and con's.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Just to prove to Face that I don't only post when I want something, and to answer some of your questions:
I've been here well over a year and have seen no evidence of the chips and lager mentality (there are two chip shops that I know of in Dubai if you need a fat boost!). You can't wander down the street drinking lager even if you wanted to 'cos you'd get arrested. The locals do keep themselves to themselves pretty much but there are a lot of different nationalities here and I would say everybody gets along pretty well.

Cost of living- I find it slightly cheaper than the UK but it is getting more expensive almost daily :scared:

Labour laws- these do exist and if you are working for a European company you shouldn't have too much to worry about.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 9:37 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by oilhack
Hi forum,

I have the opportunity to work in Dubai and am pondering whether I should take it up. I am a 29-year-old journalist and I could be offered the chance of launching a publication with a British publishing company based in the region. I've lived and worked as a freelance in Calcutta in India and know what it takes to adapt to a different culture and climate, but have had little exposure to the Middle East.

But I have some questions about the emirate, which I hope some kind expat can answer:
1. I have read that any contract you sign with an employer is worthless as there are no laws to enforce it - is this true?
2. Is it true that I have to be living in Dubai before my wife can get a spouse visa to settle there?
3. I have read that some expats complain of being bored and lonely in Dubai - is this truly the case?
5. What is the expat community like? I have visited expat "colonies" in Spain and Cyprus and I'm not too keen on their "burger, chips and lager" mentality - ie they refuse to integrate with the locals and sing "Rule Britannia" at any given opportunity. Are British expats in Dubai a bit more intelligent than that?

I'd be grateful if someone could dispell any myths and misconceptions about life in Dubai, so I can come to a judgement on whether I would like to live out there.

Cheers.
Hiya oilhack. Welcome to the forum!

I will do my best to answer ur q's.......

Not true as there is a Labour Departmnt to deal with contract violations. And lke anywhere else in the World, contracts are breached from time 2 time.

I would like to answer this q for u, but I strongly suggest that u get in touch with the Dubai Naturalisation and Residency Department (DNRD). Their website is listed in the FAQ threads. U might also consider contacting the U.A.E embassy in London..... again their contact info can be found in the FAQ threads.

Depends what u make of the place. It is full of yong people and is supposedly the fastest growing city in the World........ would be kinda hard to get bored. lol.

I am in London at the moment, so I can give u a proper comparison..... As far as most things go, London is a touch moreexpensive than Dubai. Some things are cheaper and some things like Taxi's and phone call rates are MUCH higher than those in Dubai. So to answer ur q, the cost of living is just slightly lower, but the standard of living is MUCH higher in Dubai.

Dubai doesnt have 'colonies' and Dubai does have its fair share of that sort of expat community as well. It all depends on where u go and whom u hang out with. Most expats in Dubai come for the white collar jobs, so most of them lack that sort of mentality...... though the ones on holiday treat Dubai like another Ibiza! haha

Drawbacks....... hmmmmmmmm.......... like any other big city ther are loads, but some of the prominent ones are: the traffic, the summer heat and humidity (may - september), bad driving habits and errrrrr....... very high accom rates that are shockingly just about the same as those in London.

Best thing bout living in Dubai...... u have the whole World in Dubai, the shopping is fantastic, no taxes, little or no crime, excellent winter weather (complete with lots of rain) and a high standard of living.

There ya go buddy! If u hav any further q's, do look thru the FAQ's or if that doesnt help, dont hesitate to pt up another post, or u cud drop me a PM (private message) or an e-mail and I will be happy to hep.

Enjoy the site!
Old Feb 28th 2005, 9:40 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
Just to prove to Face that I don't only post when I want something, and to answer some of your questions:
I've been here well over a year and have seen no evidence of the chips and lager mentality (there are two chip shops that I know of in Dubai if you need a fat boost!). You can't wander down the street drinking lager even if you wanted to 'cos you'd get arrested. The locals do keep themselves to themselves pretty much but there are a lot of different nationalities here and I would say everybody gets along pretty well.

Cost of living- I find it slightly cheaper than the UK but it is getting more expensive almost daily :scared:

Labour laws- these do exist and if you are working for a European company you shouldn't have too much to worry about.
lolololol.............. this must be a first for ya!

post more regularly and u shud even attend one of the BE DXB get2gethers!

I am so proud of u for answering oilhacks q's....... well done!

and do join us in The Leaky Dhow for a drink! :
Old Feb 28th 2005, 11:24 am
Just Joined

oilhack is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for answering my questions. I have looked through past posts and the FAQs and am getting a better understand of the place, and you guys.

It puts my mind at rest a bit, particularly knowing that the expats are (mostly) not a bunch of lager louts - although it's good that UAE is not totally dry as I'd miss a cold beer on a hot evening.

You say that the locals keep themselves to themselves. I like getting to know the local culture, history and people. For me, that's one of the main attractions about living in different parts of the world or travelling around, although I don't like it when culture is sanitised for foreigners. How easy is it to make friends with the local Emiratis? And is it easy to make short trips to neighbouring countries, such as Oman?

If I get the job and decide to go out to Dubai, I'll make sure I see some of you people down at the Leaky Dhow.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 12:25 pm
The Oracle

Originally Posted by oilhack
Thanks very much for answering my questions. I have looked through past posts and the FAQs and am getting a better understand of the place, and you guys.

It puts my mind at rest a bit, particularly knowing that the expats are (mostly) not a bunch of lager louts - although it's good that UAE is not totally dry as I'd miss a cold beer on a hot evening.

You say that the locals keep themselves to themselves. I like getting to know the local culture, history and people. For me, that's one of the main attractions about living in different parts of the world or travelling around, although I don't like it when culture is sanitised for foreigners. How easy is it to make friends with the local Emiratis? And is it easy to make short trips to neighbouring countries, such as Oman?

If I get the job and decide to go out to Dubai, I'll make sure I see some of you people down at the Leaky Dhow.
its especially easy to make friends with them if u work with them, which is more than likely. lol

travelling to neighbouring countries is a breeze...... qatar and oman offer visas to U.A.E residents at the border or on arrival at their airports.

The Leaky Dhow isnt real m8...... just an e-pub on the site. lololol

do join us for an e-drink in the pub if u fancy getting to know all of us wackos. heh heh

enjoy the site!
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Blach is a jewel in the roughBlach is a jewel in the roughBlach is a jewel in the roughBlach is a jewel in the roughBlach is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Face81
its especially easy to make friends with them if u work with them, which is more than likely. lol

travelling to neighbouring countries is a breeze...... qatar and oman offer visas to U.A.E residents at the border or on arrival at their airports.

The Leaky Dhow isnt real m8...... just an e-pub on the site. lololol

do join us for an e-drink in the pub if u fancy getting to know all of us wackos. heh heh

enjoy the site!
Hey Face,

Its good to see that I'm not the only one thats confused with this Leaky Dhow pub!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 8:02 pm
The Oracle

Originally Posted by Blach
Hey Face,

Its good to see that I'm not the only one thats confused with this Leaky Dhow pub!!!!!!!!!!
lol........ get to the Dhow and let me buy u a drink!