Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Advice on Driving Licence process

Advice on Driving Licence process

Old Feb 18th 2011, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

MikeInOman is a jewel in the roughMikeInOman is a jewel in the roughMikeInOman is a jewel in the roughMikeInOman is a jewel in the rough
Default Advice on Driving Licence process

Hi all,

I know its a big ask but could someone explain the process and locations (that i can ask a taxi driver to take me to) that i need to visit to get a driving licence in Dubai, I hold a British license for both cars and motorcycles.

I am a Dubai resident although currently living and working in Oman having created my business in Knowledge Village recently.

thanks

Mike
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

zaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Advice on Driving Licence process

I have no idea, just being nosey heading out next week and will need to get mine also
Old Feb 18th 2011, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zaaboot
I have no idea, just being nosey heading out next week and will need to get mine also
I did mine at the "Bur Dubai" Police Station, which is not actually in Bur Dubai, but next to Gold & Diamond Park. Process took 1.5 hours. Mind you, this was in 2004 and it may have changed slightly. Good luck.

As I recall I needed my home liscense, original and copy of visa and passport, plus an NOC from my employer to have a liscense. Not sure if same is required of business owners.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 10:50 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

it shouldn't take more than around 20 mins...costs have gone up from 200 dhs to 410 now...the earlier you go, the less busy, but anytime before 10 should be ok...

you need your org license (if you have a british one, you'll need both the card and the paper bit), your passport/residency ********* a copy of both, non objection letter, passport pics (take at least 2 with you) and an eyetest certificate (100 dhs, you can do it there or at any optician in a mall)...
fill in form number 8, then go to the reception counter and they will check to see if all your paperwork is there and then give you your ticket number thing...when it's your turn they will want to know where you live and they want your local mobile number. After you pay you go all the way to left where you will have your picture taken, and after 1 min the license is ready.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

MikeInOman is a jewel in the roughMikeInOman is a jewel in the roughMikeInOman is a jewel in the roughMikeInOman is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MataHari
it shouldn't take more than around 20 mins...costs have gone up from 200 dhs to 410 now...the earlier you go, the less busy, but anytime before 10 should be ok...

you need your org license (if you have a british one, you'll need both the card and the paper bit), your passport/residency ********* a copy of both, non objection letter, passport pics (take at least 2 with you) and an eyetest certificate (100 dhs, you can do it there or at any optician in a mall)...
fill in form number 8, then go to the reception counter and they will check to see if all your paperwork is there and then give you your ticket number thing...when it's your turn they will want to know where you live and they want your local mobile number. After you pay you go all the way to left where you will have your picture taken, and after 1 min the license is ready.
Thanks Matahari, (great name by the way)

Your reply is really helpful but raises 3 quick questions for me…

1. Is there a standard format for a non-objection letter, i have my own business based out of Knowledge Village so i am guessing that i will have to raise my own letter?

2. Where is the licensing centre?

3. Is this all i need to be able to buy a car (other than the obvious having found a car to buy).

Thanks so much for giving me your time to reply.

Mike
Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

Bungdit Din is on a distinguished road

NOC usually needs to be in Arabic, on company letterhead and with company stamp... didn't need to provide a NOC when I got my licence, but rules change here all the time...

Here's a location map:

Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:36 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bungdit Din
NOC usually needs to be in Arabic, on company letterhead and with company stamp... didn't need to provide a NOC when I got my licence, but rules change here all the time...

Here's a location map:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...mapwithgfx.jpg
you do need a NOC these days for sure...

you can get to the place by taking the sliproad in front of the Dubai Garden centre on SZR, (you will have already passed the building, it's visible from SZR) do a sharp left so you are going back so to speak, drive all the way to the end and you'll see it there, white building, typical Government type thing.
I believe there is a testing/registration station behind it next to the petrol station so if you had bought a second hand car you could meet up there and get the paperwork sorted.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everybody this is really helpful.

One slight concern is this NOC or non-objection letter that many of you are mentioning. i am a sole trader, free lance consultant working out of Knowledge Village Dubai (KVD) but actually seldom in Dubai. As such i am self employed and have no idea what an NOC would look like.

I have headed paper but is this something i should approach Tecom (who own KVD) for?

As ever very grateful for advice.

Mike
Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think Mike owes us all a beer in Oman one day!
Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I think Mike owes us all a beer in Oman one day!
Hugely!!

Of course we could have a "MikeTemporarilyInDubai" session when i next come up!!

MikeStillInOman
Old Feb 20th 2011, 6:19 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by MikeInOman
Thanks everybody this is really helpful.

One slight concern is this NOC or non-objection letter that many of you are mentioning. i am a sole trader, free lance consultant working out of Knowledge Village Dubai (KVD) but actually seldom in Dubai. As such i am self employed and have no idea what an NOC would look like.

I have headed paper but is this something i should approach Tecom (who own KVD) for?

As ever very grateful for advice.

Mike
yes, I'd say that would be a good idea, they provide the NOCs for people that fall under them so to speak, rather than the HR departments of their companies...
Old Feb 20th 2011, 6:34 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a question while we are on the subject:

We all know that UK licenses can be transferred to UAE licenses but is the reverse also true? Could an expat who does their test here for whatever reason go to the EU and switch their license?

N.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 6:40 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Here's a question while we are on the subject:

We all know that UK licenses can be transferred to UAE licenses but is the reverse also true? Could an expat who does their test here for whatever reason go to the EU and switch their license?

N.
no...
Old Feb 20th 2011, 7:03 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
no...
Any information to back that up?

N.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 7:09 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Any information to back that up?

N.
I looked into it cause my son will be 18 this year...although I researched it for Holland, as we are Dutch, so maybe it will be different for the UK.
For Holland it lists all the countries of the EU and something I guess that translates into European Union of Free Trade which includes Switserland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.