Advice

Old Feb 16th 2009, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Smacked is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice

Hi guys!
I have been reading your threads for a few days now and just got the courage to sign up and post my own.
My husband works in construction and just has been offered a job in Dubai. My question to all of youwho can help is: Is it worth packing up and going to UAE, i have a very good secure job in Dental not earning the earth but i's good for the 25 hours I do per week. Needless to say, yes my husband is unemployed he was made redundant back in Dec'08.
We are struggling to find any construction work in UK, but at the same time very uneasy about coming to Dubai and perhaps signing up to accommodation etc and my husband loses his job in few months down the line.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you all.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of
Default Re: Advice

Dubai?..To be honest Abu Dhabi, Saudi or Qatar sounds like a better bet right now. They are still building lots and can afford to do so regardless.

Dubai are being squeezed by a double whammy, not only are the global crisis hitting Dubai but Sheikh Mo bin rashid of Dubai have managed to lock horns with the one guy he can´t afford to antagonise right now.
Sh. Mo bin Zayed, crown prince of Abu Dhabi and the guy with the key to the money vaults and the man that can bailout Dubai without breaking a sweat.

So Abu Dhabi have put any bailout on hold until Mo of Dubai gives in so Dubai is in a dodgy situation right now. Lots of projects are on hold etc.
That said things are of course being built in Dubai but I wonder why they would recruit new people when there´s plenty of available guys in most fields in place.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your advice. i would not know why they would be employing people from UK when you say there are enough unemployed in Dubai. Dodgy ha!

We still don't know what to do, the company operates in Abu Dhabi as well, it's called OGER if it means anything to you!
Old Feb 16th 2009, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

OGER..That´s a Saudi company actually, owned by the Lebanese Hariri family I think.

Not a fly by night outfit by any means, they are tight with the Saudi Royal family and as such gets favorable treatment from the Abu Dhabis royals when it comes to handing out projects for some reason..
I don´t know much about their activities in Dubai but it´s a very big and well connected company in general.
Given the amount of projects within Abu Dhabi and Saudi it´s a bit funny that they want your hubby in Dubai though. Is he a communications guy?
Old Feb 16th 2009, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

hubby is a civil engineer, senior project manager in fact for the last 20 years. What are you saying this company is sound then? I don't know if they will share my husband's job with the Abu Dhabi team though?
Old Feb 16th 2009, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smacked
hubby is a civil engineer, senior project manager in fact for the last 20 years. What are you saying this company is sound then? I don't know if they will share my husband's job with the Abu Dhabi team though?
The company is solid if that´s what you are asking..They are one of the biggest construction companies in Saudi which means that they most certainly own a bank or two as well.
So they will be busy in Saudi making money, busy in Abu Dhabi making money..I´m just wondering if they will be busy in Dubai given the downturn on construction there.

Anyway, they are very rich, they are very well connected to the ruling families in the area and they got a good reputation and a good company..Many would be happy to take a chance with them.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 3:13 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd suggest that your husband come out here alone for the first few months to see how the job works out and if it looks stable for him. Don't sell up everything in the UK and come out immediately.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

abu dhabi is feeling the same as dubai with regard to construction look at alor etc... and there is still worse to come.... i wouldnt move the family out as there are loads of civil engineers with 20 years of experience and a lot with middle east experience which counts for a lot here so why employ from outside. also if you have kids you will have probs with schools and if you come to ad unless the company has a house already or is giving you a big allowance you will have problems finding suitable accomodation. do your research. a lot of the contractors/consultants here work both in ad and dxb and they are not being paid millions of pounds which they are owned by the big developers here no matter who they are connected to.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 3:39 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bimcnorth
The company is solid if that´s what you are asking..They are one of the biggest construction companies in Saudi which means that they most certainly own a bank or two as well.
So they will be busy in Saudi making money, busy in Abu Dhabi making money..I´m just wondering if they will be busy in Dubai given the downturn on construction there.

Anyway, they are very rich, they are very well connected to the ruling families in the area and they got a good reputation and a good company..Many would be happy to take a chance with them.
I often came across Saudi Oger during my Jeddah stay. They are very involved in building and refurbishing Royal Palaces and so may well be worth having a go with. I know that Saudi Bin Ladin Group also do palaces here as well. If hubby is currently unemployed but you enjoy working too, my advice is for hubby to come over for three months. If he feels that the position is secure then join him later. My concern is that he may be asked to work long spells in Saudi, which means he may well be leaving you at home anyway. It could be a great opportunity. If the Royals like you, then who knows?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your response, you all have been very helpful. We still feel uneasy, will let you know what we decide to do.
Thanks again.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:35 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your response, you all have been very helpful. We still feel uneasy, will let you know what we decide to do.
Thanks again.
As mentioned by a previous poster, it would make more sense if you husband came out alone for a few months, if he's been made redundant then he's got nothing to lose, obviously it will mean time apart but you know what they say about absence making the heart grow fonder, might be a good move.

Good luck....

Bison
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:29 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bison
As mentioned by a previous poster, it would make more sense if you husband came out alone for a few months, if he's been made redundant then he's got nothing to lose, obviously it will mean time apart but you know what they say about absence making the heart grow fonder, might be a good move.

Good luck....

Bison
I completely agree. It's exactly what we'll be doing in a couple of months' time. Don't sell up or quit your job in the UK!
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Hello Kitty,

Are you in the Uk then?

Smacked
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:45 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smacked
Hello Kitty,

Are you in the Uk then?

Smacked
No, not at the moment. We moved out (hubby, 17 month old and myself) in September, but what with things becoming more and more unpredictable - and another bubs due in June - we've decided to move everyone apart from the breadwinner back to the UK... essentially placing ourselves in a position where we can pull out of Dubai quickly if needed.

We're therefore taking back our house in the UK, shipping most of our stuff back and then sitting tight. In all that, Mr Kitty will downsize accommodation here, save as much money as he can for as long as he can. He's with a major engineering consultancy.

It's going to be tough, but thank goodness for Skype... and we'll be able to wrangle breaks every month/6 weeks or so. Needs must, and all that...

Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Hello.Kitty,

I think what you're saying makes sense. I probably won't quit my job but stay put for few months and see how it goes.

I'm pleased to hear that you have a solution to your situation and have not commited to a year accomodation etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.