Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

ADNOC Offer Makes No Sense

ADNOC Offer Makes No Sense

Old Jul 5th 2023, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

wendall2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ADNOC Offer Makes No Sense

US graduated and 20 years experience from the US. Senior Accountant. Got an offer from ADNOC that is less than 40% of what my gross pay is here in US (before taxes). Does that make sense? They offered basic 16k AED and with the supplementary and general allowance it goes up to 20k AED per month. Which is like $5,000 USD. The housing and educational allowances are on top of that paid directly to landlord and the schools. Does this make sense that ADNOC is paying $5k USD for a US expat senior Accountant with 20 years experience and graduated from a top US University? Something seems wrong. I think it is a very low balling from their side. But again, I am hearing you can live comfortably in the UAE (we are wife, husband, and three youth kids).

Any suggestions?
Old Jul 6th 2023, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Traveler20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ADNOC Offer Makes No Sense

Originally Posted by wendall2005
US graduated and 20 years experience from the US. Senior Accountant. Got an offer from ADNOC that is less than 40% of what my gross pay is here in US (before taxes). Does that make sense? They offered basic 16k AED and with the supplementary and general allowance it goes up to 20k AED per month. Which is like $5,000 USD. The housing and educational allowances are on top of that paid directly to landlord and the schools. Does this make sense that ADNOC is paying $5k USD for a US expat senior Accountant with 20 years experience and graduated from a top US University? Something seems wrong. I think it is a very low balling from their side. But again, I am hearing you can live comfortably in the UAE (we are wife, husband, and three youth kids).

Any suggestions?
Agreed, it’s extremely low for a western expat with 20 years of experience. You’re no where close to living comfortably with that kind of package imo, especially if you factor in savings for vacation/retirement and the mental cost of working in the ME. I would say you need at minimum double that amount if not more. I also wonder how much they are offering for accommodation and if there is a cap on school fees? Regardless, it’s extremely low.
Old Jul 11th 2023, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Hkavery is an unknown quantity at this point

Very low, they may be targeting non-western expats. I would aim for double at least.
Old Jul 11th 2023, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Coucou is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you hold an US passport?
I know people with 10-15 years experience on 15-20kusd/months take home and this is on the low end of o&g on ME.
We are a family of 5 and ME is not cheap, expect at least 5kusd living expenses without rent minimum.
Don't accept it, apply for Saudi they look for people and you will at least receive an offer 3x higher.
All the best
Old Jul 13th 2023, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

wendall2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Coucou
Do you hold an US passport?
I know people with 10-15 years experience on 15-20kusd/months take home and this is on the low end of o&g on ME.
We are a family of 5 and ME is not cheap, expect at least 5kusd living expenses without rent minimum.
Don't accept it, apply for Saudi they look for people and you will at least receive an offer 3x higher.
All the best
thanks! Yes, US and British passports (although originally from ME and so am not “white” and they did specifically ask me ethnic questions in the interview on why I know Arabic and where did I live in ME when I was a kid!). Will keep trying, thanks!
Old Jul 13th 2023, 6:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Traveler20
Agreed, it’s extremely low for a western expat with 20 years of experience. ....
Originally Posted by Hkavery
Very low, they may be targeting non-western expats. I would aim for double at least.
I suspect that they are targeting people who went to the US for their degree and trained as an accountant, and now, mid/ late career are looking to move either back to (near) their home country, or to leave the US for work ahead of retirement in their home country, probably in Asia.
Old Aug 25th 2023, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

kurt114 is an unknown quantity at this point

For me, the rules are easy as I don't have to ask if they are low balling. Let's take your current income + % expat (the increase that you are willing to accept to be away from family, friends, home.. and working in a new country that you may not like). Let's say if you like UAE very much, like your dream country, then you can accept an offer that is equal to your current income (or even less). For me, I will only accept current income +at least 100% take home. If it is not that much, then it is not worth for me to trade off and being away from my loved ones.