Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

ACRO police certificate for UAE

ACRO police certificate for UAE

Reply

Old Mar 14th 2018, 1:26 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 4
DubaiChic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACRO police certificate for UAE

Good Evening everyone,

I am hoping that someone could please shine some light on this!

Back in 2014, I got a conditional discharge when the UK benefits office (DWP) took me to court for failing to report change of circumstances to them, whilst I was on benefits. I did actually report to them that I was a student, but the evidence was lost. The only evidence I could find was a letter I wrote to the student loans company informing them that I was on benefits. However, I could not find the same letter I wrote to the DWP informing them of the same. Judge couldn't, reluctantly accept this, since he needed concrete evidence that I did inform the DWP. As a result, I was asked to pay back benefit income from the time I became a student and a fine.

My solicitor mentioned to me in a letter that this is not classed as a criminal conviction, but of course, it is. The conditional discharge means that after two years, it becomes 'spent' and I no longer need to disclose it. However, when moving to Dubai, one needs to get an ACRO police certificate, and if you have spent convictions, it will state 'no live trace' and if you have never had any convictions, it will state 'no trace'. The difference in wording here shows whether one ever had a conviction or not. This may pose a problem for me, when applying for a UAE employment based visa.

Apart from the question as to whether this would be an issue for obtaining an employment based residence visa in Dubai, my main question is, does one need to get an ACRO police certificate for those applying for a residence visa based on self employment? So for instance, if I set up a business through one of the UAE free-zones, would one be required if getting a residence visa for the first time having not lived in the UAE before, coming directly from the UK?

I have searched online high and low and it seems that this requirement by the UAE for a good conduct certificate, is only for those seeking a residence visa as an employee for an employer, as opposed to those coming to the UAE to set up in business.

Ideally I want to come to Dubai initially to work for an employer, and the plan was to set up in business some years later, but having a 'no live trace' on the ACRO police certificate risks rejection of employment-based residence visa, and I might have to reverse plans and come over on a self-employed based visa instead and then obtain employment after 7 years, after which the conviction will be 'filtered out' and will then show up as 'no trace' as opposed to 'no live trace' on the ACRO.

This assuming of course that an ACRO certificate is not required for self-employment based residence visa.

Does anyone know? Thank you!
DubaiChic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th 2018, 9:01 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Location: Dubai
Posts: 138
reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACRO police certificate for UAE

Originally Posted by DubaiChic View Post
Good Evening everyone,

I am hoping that someone could please shine some light on this!

Back in 2014, I got a conditional discharge when the UK benefits office (DWP) took me to court for failing to report change of circumstances to them, whilst I was on benefits. I did actually report to them that I was a student, but the evidence was lost. The only evidence I could find was a letter I wrote to the student loans company informing them that I was on benefits. However, I could not find the same letter I wrote to the DWP informing them of the same. Judge couldn't, reluctantly accept this, since he needed concrete evidence that I did inform the DWP. As a result, I was asked to pay back benefit income from the time I became a student and a fine.

My solicitor mentioned to me in a letter that this is not classed as a criminal conviction, but of course, it is. The conditional discharge means that after two years, it becomes 'spent' and I no longer need to disclose it. However, when moving to Dubai, one needs to get an ACRO police certificate, and if you have spent convictions, it will state 'no live trace' and if you have never had any convictions, it will state 'no trace'. The difference in wording here shows whether one ever had a conviction or not. This may pose a problem for me, when applying for a UAE employment based visa.

Apart from the question as to whether this would be an issue for obtaining an employment based residence visa in Dubai, my main question is, does one need to get an ACRO police certificate for those applying for a residence visa based on self employment? So for instance, if I set up a business through one of the UAE free-zones, would one be required if getting a residence visa for the first time having not lived in the UAE before, coming directly from the UK?

I have searched online high and low and it seems that this requirement by the UAE for a good conduct certificate, is only for those seeking a residence visa as an employee for an employer, as opposed to those coming to the UAE to set up in business.

Ideally I want to come to Dubai initially to work for an employer, and the plan was to set up in business some years later, but having a 'no live trace' on the ACRO police certificate risks rejection of employment-based residence visa, and I might have to reverse plans and come over on a self-employed based visa instead and then obtain employment after 7 years, after which the conviction will be 'filtered out' and will then show up as 'no trace' as opposed to 'no live trace' on the ACRO.

This assuming of course that an ACRO certificate is not required for self-employment based residence visa.

Does anyone know? Thank you!
Hello

I spoke with a friend who works for a company that helps business set up in the UAE. Anyone who requires a visa be it a freelancer, employee or employer will have to provide this certification.
reddiva is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th 2018, 9:38 am
  #3  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 10,634
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACRO police certificate for UAE

Before second guessing order your ACRO certificate and see what it says.
BritInParis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th 2018, 8:38 am
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 4
DubaiChic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ACRO police certificate for UAE

Originally Posted by reddiva View Post
Hello

I spoke with a friend who works for a company that helps business set up in the UAE. Anyone who requires a visa be it a freelancer, employee or employer will have to provide this certification.
Thank you so much for the clarification!
DubaiChic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th 2018, 8:38 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 4
DubaiChic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ACRO police certificate for UAE

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Before second guessing order your ACRO certificate and see what it says.
Yes, I will be doing that of course. Thank you
DubaiChic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th 2018, 1:17 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 59
Mammabear is just really niceMammabear is just really niceMammabear is just really niceMammabear is just really niceMammabear is just really niceMammabear is just really niceMammabear is just really niceMammabear is just really nice
Default Re: ACRO police certificate for UAE

Originally Posted by DubaiChic View Post

after 7 years, after which the conviction will be 'filtered out' and will then show up as 'no trace' as opposed to 'no live trace' on the ACRO.

!
I wouldn't bank on this if I were you tbh. My brother got a £25 fine back in 1986, 32 years later his ACRO he received last month still shows as 'No live trace'.

Last edited by Mammabear; Mar 15th 2018 at 1:26 pm.
Mammabear is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th 2018, 1:27 pm
  #7  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 10,634
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACRO police certificate for UAE

Originally Posted by Mammabear View Post
I wouldn't bank on this if I were you. My brother got a £25 fine back in 1986, 32 years later his ACRO he received last month still shows as 'No live trace'.
'No Live Trace' is a way of getting around the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 for the purposes of immigration. The offence itself won't be mentioned to comply with UK law for 'stepped-down' offences but foreign governments can still know the person concerned does have a criminal record in the UK.
BritInParis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th 2018, 1:35 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 59
Mammabear is just really niceMammabear is just really niceMammabear is just really niceMammabear is just really niceMammabear is just really niceMammabear is just really niceMammabear is just really niceMammabear is just really nice
Default Re: ACRO police certificate for UAE

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
'No Live Trace' is a way of getting around the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 for the purposes of immigration. The offence itself won't be mentioned to comply with UK law for 'stepped-down' offences but foreign governments can still know the person concerned does have a criminal record in the UK.
Correct. But DubaiChic is assuming that after 7 years her ACRO will change to No trace.
Mammabear is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th 2018, 1:35 pm
  #9  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 10,634
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACRO police certificate for UAE

Originally Posted by Mammabear View Post
Correct. But DubaiChic is assuming that after 7 years her ACRO will change to No trace.
No, like your brother, it will always remain 'No Live Trace' if he or she has a criminal record.
BritInParis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th 2018, 1:39 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 59
Mammabear is just really niceMammabear is just really niceMammabear is just really niceMammabear is just really niceMammabear is just really niceMammabear is just really niceMammabear is just really niceMammabear is just really nice
Default Re: ACRO police certificate for UAE

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
No, like your brother, it will always remain 'No Live Trace' if he or she has a criminal record.
👍
Mammabear is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th 2018, 1:44 pm
  #11  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 10,634
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACRO police certificate for UAE

Originally Posted by Mammabear View Post
👍
Sorry, I didn't read that properly! We are in violent agreement
BritInParis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th 2018, 2:57 pm
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 4
DubaiChic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ACRO police certificate for UAE

Thank you for your replies.

Yes, you are both right! It was 'Unlock' who told me when I called them to seek advice, who told me that after the filtering is done, it should come back as 'no live trace' ... I honestly think the system is a total shambles, especially for people like me who don't have an actual conviction, but is treated as one! So we are basically incriminated for life. Truth is, that our records stay the same for 100 years... Everything else they try to dress it up with is BS ... Excuse my language! I'm not disheartened, however. I think the UAE authorities are most probably concerned more with murderers and the like and I have read cases online with people trying to get American visas successfully after having a 'no live trace'... After of course they request to see the SAR. I think the UAE in comparison will be a walk in the park.
DubaiChic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th 2018, 3:51 pm
  #13  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Axminster
Posts: 21,786
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACRO police certificate for UAE

Originally Posted by DubaiChic View Post
Thank you for your replies.

Yes, you are both right! It was 'Unlock' who told me when I called them to seek advice, who told me that after the filtering is done, it should come back as 'no live trace' ... I honestly think the system is a total shambles, especially for people like me who don't have an actual conviction, but is treated as one! So we are basically incriminated for life. Truth is, that our records stay the same for 100 years... Everything else they try to dress it up with is BS ... Excuse my language! I'm not disheartened, however. I think the UAE authorities are most probably concerned more with murderers and the like and I have read cases online with people trying to get American visas successfully after having a 'no live trace'... After of course they request to see the SAR. I think the UAE in comparison will be a walk in the park.
Not necessarily true, a friend had lost a job he had been offered in the Middle East because he had been a passenger in a car which turned out to be stolen, the driver was done for a variety of crimes, but all the passengers even though they were below the age they could drive, were given driving bans, this came back to haunt him and cost him a job.
mikelincs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th 2018, 4:23 pm
  #14  
Alone again, naturally
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 91,732
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACRO police certificate for UAE

Originally Posted by DubaiChic View Post
Thank you for your replies.

Yes, you are both right! It was 'Unlock' who told me when I called them to seek advice, who told me that after the filtering is done, it should come back as 'no live trace' ... I honestly think the system is a total shambles, especially for people like me who don't have an actual conviction, but is treated as one! So we are basically incriminated for life. Truth is, that our records stay the same for 100 years... Everything else they try to dress it up with is BS ... Excuse my language! I'm not disheartened, however. I think the UAE authorities are most probably concerned more with murderers and the like and I have read cases online with people trying to get American visas successfully after having a 'no live trace'... After of course they request to see the SAR. I think the UAE in comparison will be a walk in the park.
Absolutely no correlation between the American visa system and that of the UAE. They are totally different authorities.

Yes there are people who have got various visas for the USA after having 'No Live Trace' results but there are also some who will never be granted a visa. Far too many variablesfor a simple answer, including type of offence, possible sentence, and type of visa.
The UAE has different visa types, and no doubt different priorities when looking at offences, sentences etc.
Don't pin your hopes on online experiences of people applying for different visas in different countries.
Pollyana is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement