Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Accommodation Problem

Accommodation Problem

Old Feb 17th 2013, 8:16 am
Bothered

kungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud of
Default Accommodation Problem

The lease for our current apartment expires on the 27th February.

Our new apartment will not be ready until 01st March.

We have tried to agree an extension of 2 days with the property management company (habtoor properties) but they want 7 days worth of rent for the 2 day extension and are completely unwilling to negotiate as apparently the landlord has no interest in a short extension.

Incredibly frustrating as it makes no difference to simply delay the move in date for new tenants by the 2 days we will pay them for additionally (viewings are ongoing so nobody has secured the apartment yet).

Do we have any cards to play here? Is there anything we can do to try and force the issue or is it simply a case of the landlord's decision being final?

We are in Dubai should it matter.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:05 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Accommodation Problem

Originally Posted by kungpowdow

We have tried to agree an extension of 2 days with the property management company (habtoor properties) but they want 7 days worth of rent for the 2 day extension and are completely unwilling to negotiate as apparently the landlord has no interest in a short extension.

Incredibly frustrating as it makes no difference to simply delay the move in date for new tenants by the 2 days we will pay them for additionally (viewings are ongoing so nobody has secured the apartment yet).

Do we have any cards to play here? Is there anything we can do to try and force the issue or is it simply a case of the landlord's decision being final?

This is just my view and I have no professional involvement with leasing.

You are attempting to apply your logic and perspective to a situation entirely outside your control. Landlord knows your position and knows he has you over a barrel. Short term extensions are unusual here - as is any "reasonable" behaviour by LLs beyond that contractually enforced. I'd say suck it up and be glad you got offered a 7 day (and not one month) extension. Use it to make your move more relaxed rather than having to get everything done on one day.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

the landlord can do what he wants if you have completed your lease, he doesnt have to extend it, just move out and move into furnished etc, and put stuff in storage, whose to say that your new place will be ready on the said date, many times things are "bukra inshahal".
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope

You are attempting to apply your logic and perspective to a situation entirely outside your control. Landlord knows your position and knows he has you over a barrel. Short term extensions are unusual here - as is any "reasonable" behaviour by LLs beyond that contractually enforced. I'd say suck it up and be glad you got offered a 7 day (and not one month) extension. Use it to make your move more relaxed rather than having to get everything done on one day.
yeh totally agree, he is being good giving you 7 days even if you dont want it.... so it means that you have a bit of flexibility for your new place, and so you can move in gradually not all in one day if it does happen on time.

landlords can and do what they want here
Old Feb 18th 2013, 4:15 am
Bothered

kungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope

They haven't offered a 7 day extension. As per my original post they have offered a 2 day extension for the price of 7 days rent. Hence my disgust with the landlord.

However, if as you say I have no grounds to fight this then it is indeed time to nut up and shut up.

Thanks.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 4:25 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

They haven't offered a 7 day extension. As per my original post they have offered a 2 day extension for the price of 7 days rent. Hence my disgust with the landlord.
How much would it cost to pack your stuff and put it into storage. Then how much to move yourself into a hotel for a couple of days. I think you've probably got yourself a bargain!
Old Feb 18th 2013, 4:53 am
Bothered

Originally Posted by mikewot
How much would it cost to pack your stuff and put it into storage. Then how much to move yourself into a hotel for a couple of days. I think you've probably got yourself a bargain!
Unfortunately you are absolutely correct. The cost of putting the contents of our apartment into storage and staying in a hotel is greater than paying the 2-days-for-the-price-of-7 offer.

Doesnt make getting ripped off any easier to swallow however...!
Old Feb 18th 2013, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

However, if as you say I have no grounds to fight this then it is indeed time to nut up and shut up.

Thanks.
yes they have given you an extension, may not be what you would want to pay, but they have done, if its easier to go with that then move out and put stuff into storage etc then just go with it. they are a law unto themselves here.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Tell them you accept the extension and will pay for the 7 days but will move out on the 6th day. Throw in the "Rent committee" card and say that they told you that if your LL makes you pay for 7 days then he has to give you 7days.
Plus DON'T hand over the keys until you get your deposit back..also... FYI... the LL cannot make you pay for repainting.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 7:17 am
Bothered

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Tell them you accept the extension and will pay for the 7 days but will move out on the 6th day. Throw in the "Rent committee" card and say that they told you that if your LL makes you pay for 7 days then he has to give you 7days.
Plus DON'T hand over the keys until you get your deposit back..also... FYI... the LL cannot make you pay for repainting.
Thanks Patsy. This is a bit more of the fighting spirit I was hoping for. It doesn't change the amount I have to shell out but perhaps if I am difficult with him he will think twice about being difficult with his next tenant.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 7:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Thanks Patsy. This is a bit more of the fighting spirit I was hoping for. It doesn't change the amount I have to shell out but perhaps if I am difficult with him he will think twice about being difficult with his next tenant.
You're assuming the LL has the capacity to think.

Dangerous.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 7:21 am
Bothered

Originally Posted by Scamp
You're assuming the LL has the capacity to think.

Dangerous.
Seems to be able to "think" hard enough about how to rip me off...!
Old Feb 18th 2013, 7:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Seems to be able to "think" hard enough about how to rip me off...!
Absolutely. But won't have the capacity to think about a return argument.

Example:

LL: yanni, pay me 2,000 more per year...this is fair.
You: No, that's not fair.
LL: this is only small amount.
You: if it's only small, then you don't need it. End of discussion.
LL: *Brain explodes, can't argue*
Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:02 am
Bothered

Originally Posted by Scamp
Absolutely. But won't have the capacity to think about a return argument.

Example:

LL: yanni, pay me 2,000 more per year...this is fair.
You: No, that's not fair.
LL: this is only small amount.
You: if it's only small, then you don't need it. End of discussion.
LL: *Brain explodes, can't argue*
Unfortunately this time its a case of him saying no and my brain exploding.

Should really be decided on a trial by combat basis.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:17 am
Account Closed

Unfortunately this time its a case of him saying no and my brain exploding.

Should really be decided on a trial by combat basis.
Suggest it.

Sometimes just a little threat works.

I suggested that RERA would agree with me when he asked for a 7,500 increase for the renewal.

He said he'd move in himself.

I suggested RERA wouldn't let him do that.

He said he'd move his staff in

I suggested RERA wouldn't let him do that either.

He said he'd do XYZ

I suggested that we just get RERA involved to stop the nonsense.

He asked for 2,500 extra, I just agreed because it was less hassle and we were both happy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.