Reload this Page >

Accommodation in Dubai

Accommodation in Dubai

Old Feb 6th 2012, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Dan1411 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accommodation in Dubai

Hi,

I spoke a couple of month ago with a few of you on this site about moving to Dubai - I am making the move on the 18th of February. Flights are booked, visas in place etc etc. For the first month i will be put up in a hotel by my company, when i came for the interview this was the grand midwest tower previously. Wouldnt mind being there again as it was simple and easy to travel from there. However once this month is up i will be looking for my own apartment.

There will be 2 20 something lads - Looking for a 2br apartment that to put it simply is nice!
I've read stuff about some towers in the marina not been as good as others and the same with jumeirah.

Basically can i have some reccomendations please on where to stay and where not to stay on the marina, same for jumeirah lake towers, and any further tips on ideal locations for brit expats.

Our budget is £24k for the year - but something more around the 18/19k would be better.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accommodation in Dubai

24K sterling for the year will get you a pretty posh pad!

You can get 2 beds for as low as 65 K in some areas (dirham) best to look on www.dubizzle.com
Old Feb 7th 2012, 7:16 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm shortly moving to the Dubai-end of the Marina--found what I consider to be a good 3-bed for well within your budget. Newish block, well-laid out (albeit small rooms, compared to some big pads I've had in AD), clean n simple, excellent gym and pool and--the important one for me--easy access to SZR. Close to some good bars, 10-15 mins walk to JBR beach. Sea views to boot. Spoke to numerous residents of the block over several visits, and every single one said they were happy to live there: that's important, because some blocks are, according to the residents, absolute shite.

PM me if you want precise details. I found my block by just walking in when I was in the vicinity looking at a different one--have a search round Dubbizle and use that as a start, but certainly cold-calling at reception is worthwhile.

Oh, and beware the estate agents here: they make those in the UK look professional.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 7:22 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I'm shortly moving to the Dubai-end of the Marina <snip>
Are we all invited to your house-warming party?
Old Feb 7th 2012, 1:55 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Are we all invited to your house-warming party?
Of course!

soto voce, thinking of Layer Cake (but not to Meow)

XXXX: [over the phone] Dragan?
Dragan: Yes.
XXXX: I've got an idea... Why don't you come 'round for breakfast? I'll squeeze some orange juice and grind some coffee and we can talk about this like adults. How's that sound?
Dragan: Sounds very hospitable.
XXXX: Do you know where I live?
Dragan: No.
XXXX: Well, **** off then.
[hangs up]
Old Feb 7th 2012, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Chris_m is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got myself a massive 2 bed Apartment in Al Barsha. Minutes from Mall of Emirates and SZR. I paid 72k Dirhams for the year it has a huge Terrace. Best thing to do is when you're here take a wonder round the area you want and approach security staff. They'll show you the apartment and put you in touch with the agent accordingly.

For you're budget finding somewhere wont be an issue at all.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Dan1411 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all of your replies. Alongside some advice from others I am all set - couple of other general queries if you dont mind me asking...

Which night is generally considered the main night in terms of a weekend? Because Thursday seemed superb when i was over last?

How easy is setting a bank account up and any reccomendations on which bank to use?

Same with dentist - although i'm not sure if it comes under our pvt healthcare from our company?

And a guilty pleasure of mine would be online poker - now i know poker clubs, etc definatly do not exist but in terms of playing online is this also illegal?

Also can you bet on the dubai world cup? What with there been a no gambling rule in Dubai?
Old Feb 8th 2012, 9:43 am
Just Joined

chouquette is an unknown quantity at this point

hello everyone,

i'm hoping to get some useful info here about the best place to live in Dubai.

I'm a 30 year old woman moving to dubai in a few weeks. I love outdoor sports (if it's possible despite the heat) especially kitesurfing (apparently we can do that in one of the beaches called , obviously, kitebeach), going to bars, restaurants, and would like to join a gym or a sports club.
My hubby will come to live with my in a few months.

I'll be working in the Oud Metha district but don't mind driving 30min to go to work. What would be the best place to live, and how much can I expect to pay for a furnshed 2 bedroom appartment(or villa, one can dream)?

also, since apparently we have to pay 1 year rent upfront, how does it work if we want to leave the place before the term? is it refunded without any problem?

thanks to all for any info you can give me
Old Feb 8th 2012, 11:25 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan1411
Thanks for all of your replies. Alongside some advice from others I am all set - couple of other general queries if you dont mind me asking...

Which night is generally considered the main night in terms of a weekend? Because Thursday seemed superb when i was over last?

How easy is setting a bank account up and any reccomendations on which bank to use?

Same with dentist - although i'm not sure if it comes under our pvt healthcare from our company?

And a guilty pleasure of mine would be online poker - now i know poker clubs, etc definatly do not exist but in terms of playing online is this also illegal?

Also can you bet on the dubai world cup? What with there been a no gambling rule in Dubai?
you get a VPN for laptop and gamble, set up an account with one of the uK bookies for the world cup
Old Feb 8th 2012, 11:26 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chouquette
hello everyone,

i'm hoping to get some useful info here about the best place to live in Dubai.

I'm a 30 year old woman moving to dubai in a few weeks. I love outdoor sports (if it's possible despite the heat) especially kitesurfing (apparently we can do that in one of the beaches called , obviously, kitebeach), going to bars, restaurants, and would like to join a gym or a sports club.
My hubby will come to live with my in a few months.

I'll be working in the Oud Metha district but don't mind driving 30min to go to work. What would be the best place to live, and how much can I expect to pay for a furnshed 2 bedroom appartment(or villa, one can dream)?

also, since apparently we have to pay 1 year rent upfront, how does it work if we want to leave the place before the term? is it refunded without any problem?

thanks to all for any info you can give me
welcome to BE, plenty info out there, check out dubizzle.com for rentals, maybe the Marina would suit you. You don't always have to pay up 12 month these days it is 6 and 3 in most cases.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
welcome to BE, plenty info out there, check out dubizzle.com for rentals, maybe the Marina would suit you. You don't always have to pay up 12 month these days it is 6 and 3 in most cases.
even though you may be able to pay in multiple cheques you still sign a contract for 12 months and you will have to pay for 12 months, unless you have a get out clause in the contract.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 5:33 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by busybee2
even though you may be able to pay in multiple cheques you still sign a contract for 12 months and you will have to pay for 12 months, unless you have a get out clause in the contract.
I handle all the leases for my company's employees in Abu Dhabi, and in the past three years I never once saw a "break clause" in a lease agreement. However, I've just signed a lease on my own behalf for an apartment in Dubai Marina, and--without my asking--the landlord/agent has inserted an additional clause that states I can terminate early by giving one month's notice and two months' rent as penalty.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I handle all the leases for my company's employees in Abu Dhabi, and in the past three years I never once saw a "break clause" in a lease agreement. However, I've just signed a lease on my own behalf for an apartment in Dubai Marina, and--without my asking--the landlord/agent has inserted an additional clause that states I can terminate early by giving one month's notice and two months' rent as penalty.
nope you wont find them in abu dhabi but you can i believe see them occasionally in dubai.