Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Accommadation advice in Riyadh

Accommadation advice in Riyadh

Old Jul 21st 2011, 11:03 am
going slowly insane

Welshman 2805 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accommadation advice in Riyadh

I am just getting ready to move from the UK to Riyadh and ging through the endless Visa process, hopefully rthis will all go well??

My Employer there has offered me accommodation in a two bed second floor flat in the DQ, I am originally going on my own with my wife following later. I have a couple of questions:

1. What is life outside of a compound in the DQ like? (I have lived on a compound in Khobar previously).

2. my employer says that I can move to a compound later when I find a suitable one? I have heard that waiting lists are extensive for these?

I have some other questions but will search the site before asking.

Thanks
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hippacrocapig will become famous soon enoughHippacrocapig will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: Accommadation advice in Riyadh

Hi
I live near the dq in a lovely compound but just as you say the waiting lists are never ending! Sorry can't put you wrong on that one.
The dq is lovely and the grounds etc gorgeous. All ladies can go abaya less on the whole of the dq but what you lack inside the dq is whAt we do have on compounds: a communal pool, community, bar and knowing your neighbours! But you are close to the embassies for nights out and there is always things going on within the dq if you look for them ie recently an outdoor cinema night! What you make of it!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 3:50 pm
going slowly insane

Welshman 2805 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Accommadation advice in Riyadh

Originally Posted by Hippacrocapig
Hi
I live near the dq in a lovely compound but just as you say the waiting lists are never ending! Sorry can't put you wrong on that one.
The dq is lovely and the grounds etc gorgeous. All ladies can go abaya less on the whole of the dq but what you lack inside the dq is whAt we do have on compounds: a communal pool, community, bar and knowing your neighbours! But you are close to the embassies for nights out and there is always things going on within the dq if you look for them ie recently an outdoor cinema night! What you make of it!
many thanks for the info much appreciated. I have viewed the flat and it is not far from the British embassy. Is it possable to join health clubs there for use of a gym, pool etc.?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hippacrocapig will become famous soon enoughHippacrocapig will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Accommadation advice in Riyadh

Not too sure about for the guys but there is definitely an all ladies gym/health club there!