AC in UAE

Old Feb 11th 2019, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AC in UAE

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
When is a biccie, not a biccie???
When you're eating it via your anus in the Bur Dubai clink for VAT evasion.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 11:06 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
When you're eating it via your anus in the Bur Dubai clink for VAT evasion.
Better a Jaffa Cake than a Chocolate HobNob then...

Think the HobNob would chafe more than the soft sponge...
Old Feb 12th 2019, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Better a Jaffa Cake than a Chocolate HobNob then...

Think the HobNob would chafe more than the soft sponge...
Probably the first time in history this subject has been discussed..... Kudos.

That said, I feel scientific trials are needed to confirm.

We look forward to your findings. Also, please confirm if you are talking plain or milk chocolate Hobnobs.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 9:11 am
Just Joined

Mickonz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scamp
AC cost is your number one concern?

I'm not being rude, but you must have more questions than this?

HA! Hey scamp. I never said it was my number one concern. But there's quite a lot of information all over the web about much of what I need to know, just not so much on this issue. I was in the middle of doing a budget to ensure going out was financially sensible, and this was just one thing I didn't want to be surprised by , is all.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 9:13 am
Just Joined

ah. You won’t hate it. Sorry if I gave you the jitters.

The 12mths feelings are :
1-3 mths: i love this place but I need to find some mates.
3-6mths: wow. This place is just awesome and I’ve met some amazing mates.
6-9mths: I’ve realised all my mates are ***** and I want to go home.
9-12mths: actually it’s alright. I’m getting used to this place. I’ll stay another year.

take note of the 6-9mth hump.

The post about AC is spot on - but as a teacher you may not get a choice on accommodation but AC charges are not that high for a one bed. The first summer is shite but you get used to them - I actually look forward to them now as I just embrace a summer life vs my winter life. It’s all about finding a routine.

a typical summer day for me is: gym, work, cooking/TV - same as my winter. The weekends are the hard part - for me that becomes, pool In the morning, long lunches and evening runs. I don’t let summer stop anything - it just changes the time I do things.

that's great Millhouse. thanks. yea , I think its pretty much how I imagined.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 9:20 am
Just Joined

he might have a pet seal.
I can hear you you know !

You Guys!! its like Live at the Apollo here ( bingo hall in Reading) .

of course that wasn't my main concern.My main concern was can you get Tunnocks tea cakes

Old Feb 13th 2019, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mickonz
My main concern was can you get Tunnocks tea cakes
Surprisingly they are one of the more easily found western treat, to the point that many of the petrol stations have them.

I do enjoy myself a Tunnocks tea cake and they taste so much sweeter as the boss man is anti SNP.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 10:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

HA! Hey scamp. I never said it was my number one concern. But there's quite a lot of information all over the web about much of what I need to know, just not so much on this issue. I was in the middle of doing a budget to ensure going out was financially sensible, and this was just one thing I didn't want to be surprised by , is all.
You're coming at the right time, they've advanced that one of the big district cooling suppliers now allows overpayment. I hated post summer quarterly charge and usage month, it was horrible. But now you can overpay and therefore pay a consistent amount every month. Mine is about 500 dibs....very big 1 bed, bedroom in a situation of meat-fridge temperature and an underlying perma-frost. Living room AC rarely on this time of year but sometimes if I've made a spicy dinner or have had a particularly furious wank.

My main concern was can you get Tunnocks tea cakes
Horrid things, but I've seen them for sure.

The main thing is that all those sorts of bits are at Park n Shop but be wary, I accidentally paid about 3 quid for a bag of crisps.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by carcajou
Is your employer the state system directly, or a private company who has been contracted to work in the schools? If it's the former you should get housing assigned to you for free, not deducted from your pay, and there is some room for negotiation provided you choose a place that fits in under their cap (you don't get to keep the excess if you come in below the cap). If it's a private contractor, anything goes. But 280,000 pa with housing potentially being deducted from that, is not a great package. What are you on in the UK? Good luck.
oh that's a bit disappointing to hear!! It's state (moe) but there is no housing fee assigned as far as I am aware. The amount is WAY more than I get paid over here ( mainly due to the tax issue ) - but even so I would prefer to be able to find out if I am being underpayed or if it is cultruarally acceptable to ask for help with accomodation given the role, even though i believe it is not in the contract. It's possible I have been naive but I have found it very hard to accesss the normal pay scale for expats in state schools. I am not actually being employed as a teacher but as a 'lead trainer' ( basically a team leader over a cluster of schools in my subject ) and I don't know exactly where yet. Maybe having a role such as this I could do a bit more of a deal, but going through an agency, in whose interest it is to not be totally communicative, it's a bit tricky.

Was also thinking that if i am I am working in a cluster of schools I might be able to negotiate something for travel ( i.e. A car)

how might I find out what other packages others are on in similar roles . I'll ask her but if you have any other thoughts..

with much thanks .