Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

An Abu Dhabi offer we can't refuse?

An Abu Dhabi offer we can't refuse?

Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

Miley is an unknown quantity at this point
Question An Abu Dhabi offer we can't refuse?

Hello,
I am looking for advice as my fiance has been offered a job in Abu Dhabi. The details are sketchy at the moment, but initial discussions suggest a salary of £80k (GBP) with a 'possibility' of an apartment and car in addition. Obviously this makes a big difference to the package offered, and I think we are put off by the thought of having to pay rent out of the £80k as rent prices seem very pricey. Hence further discussions are required on this.

Fortunately we have no debts except our mortgage but are getting married on 1st May so have a few outgoings at the mo and little savings.
I work as an administrator and so would have no problem quitting my job to something else, but I am unsure what I could do out in AD.
I am concerned that his salary wouldn't be enough to support us both, I am also unsure as to whether we should rent out our UK house or try to keep it on as well, then if I don't like living out there I can come back as I wish.
We also have no idea about the tax situation with regards to his earnings? Does anyone else have a property in the UK and rent in the Middle East? Any advice would be gratefully recieved!
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An Abu Dhabi offer we can't refuse?

in order to be non resident and no tax etc you have to be out of the country for a whole tax year, so that wouldnt the next april but the one after. people do rent out their properties in uk. yes 80k gbp is good wack, but a lot of that will be taken up with rent for a 2 bed flat you are looking at 150 if you can find one, a lot of the villas in areas of kca have been split (but check if they have correct permits) and so you may have more choice there. you say that you are getting married next year thats ok but the rules state you shouldnt live together, people do, but some companies will not allow it as well so you would need to ask the question. you maybe able to find work but it may not pay a good wage, and most spouses stay at home and find plenty to do etc. i would come over and see if you like it before you sort of sever your ties with the uk, ie dont rent your house out until you know all the facts and see if you can survive.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Perhaps I should not go until we are married?
Old Aug 6th 2009, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Miley
You most certainly will need to if you plan to work as it will be difficult (though not impossible) for you to get residency/sponsorship in your own right and it would also leave you doing visa runs until you get get a residency visa through your new hubby.

Until you get the full picture, re the package and housing situation then it's very difficult to comment on whether its any good or not as BB says housing in AD is excruciatingly expensive and unfortunately decent places would make a huge hole in your 80k.

Also if you plan on working it has to be said that admin posts are generally pretty badly paid and done by certain nationalities, that said some companies prefer western people in certain posts, might be worth trying to make a few contacts from the UK, speak to some recruiters now or contact UK companies that have offices out here about prospective vacancies, AD can be hard to find a job and a lot of jobs are got through networking rather than the usual application process.

Good Luck x
Old Aug 6th 2009, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

correct
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
correct
that was helpful wasn't it ?
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lanarkwitch
that was helpful wasn't it ?
I think it is. It is crazy for an unmarried couple to live together here.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think it is. It is crazy for an unmarried couple to live together here.
I think people do still do it though...........maybe........perhaps
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think people do still do it though...........maybe........perhaps

Indeed they do. My work collegue is about to move into an apartment with his Thai girlfirend. "It's ok" he says, he is going to live in Dubai and commute.

We have tried to tell him. He could get screwed in more ways than one.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Indeed they do. My work collegue is about to move into an apartment with his Thai girlfirend. "It's ok" he says, he is going to live in Dubai and commute.

We have tried to tell him. He could get screwed in more ways than one.
Hey with the "new" visa rules here in AD he would be lucky to get here in here if they had been married for 20 years, just saying, she can still come here in her own right if she does it the right way, remember, it's hard enough to get here, even if you tick all the right boxes, but not impossible to come here if you don't............christ when the f[U]CK did i become an optomist? Jesus this vodka is amazing stuff
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hey with the "new" visa rules here in AD he would be lucky to get here in here if they had been married for 20 years, just saying, she can still come here in her own right if she does it the right way, remember, it's hard enough to get here, even if you tick all the right boxes, but not impossible to come here if you don't............christ when the f[U]CK did i become an optomist? Jesus this vodka is amazing stuff
New Rules? They have passed me by I think...

His Thai girlfriend has her own visa - the worry is what happens if he is caught co-habitating. I guess given the blatant racism most will think she is a prostitute and therefore all is ok...
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

New Rules? They have passed me by I think...

His Thai girlfriend has her own visa - the worry is what happens if he is caught co-habitating. I guess given the blatant racism most will think she is a prostitute and therefore all is ok...
in Ad at the mo, even if you are married if your spouse has a passport from "certain" countries, you have to prove you were living together as a married couple in your own country ie from his passport before they will give the mrs a residency visa........EU citizens are not affected by this statement.
I think this changed sometime some Tuesday, no notice, nothng in writing or anything fancy like that
Old Aug 7th 2009, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Question Re: An Abu Dhabi offer we can't refuse?

This has all been very helpful, thank you. Further discussions took place yesterday and it transpires the salary is all that is on offer, no accomodation or vehicle. Therefore my fiance has decided that he will go out with a male work collegue (who will also leave his wife back here) and they will rent a small place together and share a car to work. This way they can live frugally out there for a couple of years, save some money and gain the experience on their CV's. Do many people do that?
Old Aug 7th 2009, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This has all been very helpful, thank you. Further discussions took place yesterday and it transpires the salary is all that is on offer, no accomodation or vehicle. Therefore my fiance has decided that he will go out with a male work collegue (who will also leave his wife back here) and they will rent a small place together and share a car to work. This way they can live frugally out there for a couple of years, save some money and gain the experience on their CV's. Do many people do that?
To be honest - I think that this is a lot harder to do than it looks on paper. But yes, it would work and he'd save probably half of that salary each year. I wouldn't do it though...

I'd say lots do it - but probably not too many westerners though.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Amnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really nice

With the money he'll likely to be saving, you could quite easily fly out there a number of times per year and stay for a week or so at a time (providing you get the time off work).

I haven't heard of many others doing this, but in theory it sounds like it's a great idea. And as long as he enjoys the company he's with (i.e: the work colleague he'll be living with) he could end up having a great time.

Seeing as he won't be having family out there to rush home to, they could even look at an apartment outside of Abu Dhabi where it will be slightly cheaper?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.