Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi -Job Offer

Abu Dhabi -Job Offer

Old Aug 14th 2008, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi -Job Offer

yes but do you remember the old road, no dont think so, it was horrible, 2 lanes, with the fast lane unusuable because of the trees, and the different levels etc, at least now its 'nice' and 'fast' and 'boring'.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

i did drive from dubai to abu dhabi in 93 i think it was to catch a ship in Port Zayed...but your right, i can really remember it...

now remind me, where were you in the early 90's?..
Old Aug 14th 2008, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

highways is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
i did drive from dubai to abu dhabi in 93 i think it was to catch a ship in Port Zayed...but your right, i can really remember it...

now remind me, where were you in the early 90's?..
Can you remember how much the rent was at that time compared to nowadays? I remember renting a one bed flat in Sharjah for only 22K/year but that was in 2004. It will be interesting to see how much this was in 93
Old Aug 14th 2008, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by highways
Can you remember how much the rent was at that time compared to nowadays? I remember renting a one bed flat in Sharjah for only 22K/year but that was in 2004. It will be interesting to see how much this was in 93
my navy warship provided food and accommodation for free;

fish on a friday, steak on a saturday..
Old Aug 14th 2008, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by highways
Abu Dhabi in 1994 - Dhs 45,000 would get you a decent 2 bed in a new tower block with sea views and that was expensive compared to Dubai - you could usually park a car in town then but there were very few buildings with pools unlike Dubai. Good times but also bad times when you think that the Hamdan centre and the Abu Dhabi Coop were the only shopping centres in town.... much easier to spend money now!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:18 pm

LeicesterKid is an unknown quantity at this point

That is a great package you have been offered. Take it and dont look back.

Can I ask what line of work you are into?

LK.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

sassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of light

Sheesh..
Looks as if hubby and I are better off living in Dubai rather than AD. We had planned on finding a nice spacious villa in AD and go into Dubai with the extra money we saved to spend weekends in Dubai on our boat we planned to buy. I guess Al Ain is sounding much better every time we look around ! What can you tell me about housing there ?
Old Aug 17th 2008, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

alexalexa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brits in Abu Dhabi
Hi All

Just found this forum which seems very helpful and alive compared with others.

I have been offered a position in Abu Dhabi which I am due to take up end of August. Since accepting the offer we have found that costs of living particularly relating to accommodation are significantly higher in AD than in Dubai.
Accommodation is also a nightmare to find with none of the new type apartments like those readily available in Dubai being affordable. ie we understand that in Dubai Marina a very decent 1000sq.ft apartment with pool use and close to the beach circa AED160,000

How bad is Abu Dhabi. The accommodation being the major concern.

There is only the two of us no children. The salary package including everything, car utilities accommodation etc is circa AED 680,000/Annum with an accommodation allowance of AED170,000 Included in the AED 680k. Is this sufficient for a good place to live, good life style and to save .

Would really appreciate some advice as we are getting very concerned now.

Many thanks

We have an allowance for 160 k and are looking for a two bedroom two bathroom in the Dubai Marina or a nice little house in abu dhabi. we are having a tough time.... but we are not there yet, so it might be just difficult over the internet.
does your package also include starting bonus and moving cost?
Old Aug 17th 2008, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Jaybo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alexalexa
We have an allowance for 160 k and are looking for a two bedroom two bathroom in the Dubai Marina or a nice little house in abu dhabi. we are having a tough time.... but we are not there yet, so it might be just difficult over the internet.
Wanted!!!
2 bedroom apartment on a navy warship...
Old Aug 18th 2008, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

You won't find many houses in AD for less than Dhs300,000 - not sure about Dubai prices but I understand they are a bit less.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

alexalexa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by soukie
You won't find many houses in AD for less than Dhs300,000 - not sure about Dubai prices but I understand they are a bit less.
how much would you guess is a two bedroom two bathroom house with a little garden and a shared pool nearby in a good region in AD?
Old Aug 18th 2008, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Lolapops is an unknown quantity at this point

Soukie is right re: prices for accomodation. Our 4 bed town house has gone up £15K in the two months since we arrived!! So bear in mind costs are escaltaing fast and its not just rent, other things are increasing in price too.

If you're looking to save a substantial amount of money while you're here then i don't think your proposed salary will be enough and what i'd say is if you can say you've researched the cost of living out here and re-negoatiate if possible or get them to agree they'll at least cover the increase in rent when it happens.

Also, it depends whether you have many costs back in the UK, i'm still paying a mortgage there so i don't find that i have much income left at the end of the month with the cost of rent out here.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 7:03 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassypilotswife
Sheesh..
Looks as if hubby and I are better off living in Dubai rather than AD. We had planned on finding a nice spacious villa in AD and go into Dubai with the extra money we saved to spend weekends in Dubai on our boat we planned to buy. I guess Al Ain is sounding much better every time we look around ! What can you tell me about housing there ?
where will you husband be working, surely you need to live near his workplace?
Old Aug 18th 2008, 7:04 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

how much would you guess is a two bedroom two bathroom house with a little garden and a shared pool nearby in a good region in AD?
not sure if such exists in AD but in Dubai that would cost approx 170k
Old Aug 18th 2008, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

2 bed villas in ad, nope, 2 bed villas with a shared pool, nope. 3 bed townhouses are apparently going for 380k (!!!!!) last week, this week who knows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.