Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Old Jul 31st 2017, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

First time going this year... any good??

I've got South Grandstand which I've been recommended (tends to have most of the overtaking/crashes during the race)

The after-race concert doesn't look too bad either with Calvin Harris, Tiesto and Carl Cox confirmed...
Old Jul 31st 2017, 1:12 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Yeah...I went to the inaugural one, and it was an excellent day out. There are quite a few large screens dotted around which allow you to see action on other parts of the track.

Can't remember the seating layout, but work out if you're going to be in the sun or not, and if you are and can't change your tickets, be prepared. Use LightTrac or a similar app to work it out.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExpatAl

I've got South Grandstand which I've been recommended (tends to have most of the overtaking/crashes during the race)

The after-race concert doesn't look too bad either with Calvin Harris, Tiesto and Carl Cox confirmed...
We went last year and it was brilliant ..... we are going again this year ..... the pit lane walk is worth doing, Thursday (I think) Gives you a chance to see the pit garages close up. We've got seats in West Grandstand which gives a view of the fastest/longest straight. To be honest I don't think there are any bad seats other than potential sun problems.

The car parking and shuttles run like clock work, the only time we had a bit of a wait was after the final concert but that's to be expected, still wasn't a big issue.

Fantastic weekend you'll enjoy it.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I've been a few times including being a track marshal for the inaugural year. It's OK..... however, you never get the buzz of a UK motorsport event as its all just a bit sober unless you get on one of the boat parties. Plenty sell tickets and bring acts out.

If you'd have asked earlier I would have advised to wait on buying tickets as there are always a shed load on Dubizzle and the like for way below face value. A few years ago we bought 4 on the weekend of the race for 250 AED a pop.

The concerts can be good, although its slowly turning into a 'one last payday' withe the acts they bring in. Who else is on the line up?
Old Aug 1st 2017, 5:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by ExpatAl

I've done South and North grandstands and loved the South, can see so much.
Only downside is you either wait for a bus or walk the entire length of the pit straight to get to the concert venue...which isn't the end of the world, but not ideal. You're also a good distance from any of the F1 village type stuff, but from what I remember it was all a bit shit.

Good fun though.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I've been a few times including being a track marshal for the inaugural year. It's OK..... however, you never get the buzz of a UK motorsport event as its all just a bit sober unless you get on one of the boat parties. Plenty sell tickets and bring acts out.

If you'd have asked earlier I would have advised to wait on buying tickets as there are always a shed load on Dubizzle and the like for way below face value. A few years ago we bought 4 on the weekend of the race for 250 AED a pop.

The concerts can be good, although its slowly turning into a 'one last payday' withe the acts they bring in. Who else is on the line up?
Would beg to differ on the atmosphere bit ..... I found it perfectly fine where we sat, it was packed and I was surrounded by great F1 people from around the world. Perhaps that's why your tickets were only 250aed and beats the hours of traffic or camping in the rain at Silverstone.

As for the concert acts, although not my cup of tea, I would hardly call Rihanna (last year race day) and Pink (this year) "one last pay day" both reasonably current so my daughter tells me ...... You might be right with some of the other days although Lionel Richie was bloody brilliant last year.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by UKMS
You might be right with some of the other days although Lionel Richie was bloody brilliant last year.
I saw Lionel at Glastonbury a couple of years ago and he was fantastic. I remember it raining quite a bit at the time but the rain stopped suddenly and the sun came out when he started singing 'Easy Like Sunday Morning' - magical.

We went last year and it was brilliant ..... we are going again this year ..... the pit lane walk is worth doing, Thursday (I think) Gives you a chance to see the pit garages close up. We've got seats in West Grandstand which gives a view of the fastest/longest straight. To be honest I don't think there are any bad seats other than potential sun problems.

The car parking and shuttles run like clock work, the only time we had a bit of a wait was after the final concert but that's to be expected, still wasn't a big issue.

Fantastic weekend you'll enjoy it.
Cheers - yeah got the full 4 days including the Pit Stop, never been to F1 before but when in Rome!
Old Aug 1st 2017, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Would beg to differ on the atmosphere bit ..... I found it perfectly fine where we sat, it was packed and I was surrounded by great F1 people from around the world. Perhaps that's why your tickets were only 250aed and beats the hours of traffic or camping in the rain at Silverstone.

As for the concert acts, although not my cup of tea, I would hardly call Rihanna (last year race day) and Pink (this year) "one last pay day" both reasonably current so my daughter tells me ...... You might be right with some of the other days although Lionel Richie was bloody brilliant last year.
As I say, I've been about several times. Sat in the stands, watched and partied on a mahoosive boat, spent the whole weekend living on site and behind the scenes then stood in the pit lane as a track marshal, so I think I've seen most aspects of the weekend. Also have quite a bit experience of other motorsport events RAC rally, Touring car, Moto GP and as an FIA marshal have worked during Aussie V8's, 911 GT Cup, Radicals, GP2 Asia and F1, plus probably a few others I've forgotten about.

As for the acts, its personal choice I agree, and I'm not saying that they are all shit, but they've been declining year on year since the start as have the acts that actually visit AD throughout the rest of the year. Back in the day the acts they brought in were awesome and must see people. Like seriously, Calvin Harris and Pink..... I'll go as far as to say I like Pink but shes hardly current and hasn't released an album in something like 4yrs. As for Calvin Harris, arguably the most hated DJ and laughed about DJ in his own industry.....

And Rihanna, I was excited......I went......and she was average at best! A lot of them see it as a big pay cheque and have such stipulations put on them regarding what then can and can't say and do they are scared to be themselves.

Now Snoop Dogg and Eminem now they were awesome concerts.

Madonna on the other hand was the worst act I have ever seen, although she only slightly beats Lauryn Hill to that crown unfortunately. Both were booed off stage.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

As I say, I've been about several times. Sat in the stands, watched and partied on a mahoosive boat, spent the whole weekend living on site and behind the scenes then stood in the pit lane as a track marshal, so I think I've seen most aspects of the weekend. Also have quite a bit experience of other motorsport events RAC rally, Touring car, Moto GP and as an FIA marshal have worked during Aussie V8's, 911 GT Cup, Radicals, GP2 Asia and F1, plus probably a few others I've forgotten about.

As for the acts, its personal choice I agree, and I'm not saying that they are all shit, but they've been declining year on year since the start as have the acts that actually visit AD throughout the rest of the year. Back in the day the acts they brought in were awesome and must see people. Like seriously, Calvin Harris and Pink..... I'll go as far as to say I like Pink but shes hardly current and hasn't released an album in something like 4yrs. As for Calvin Harris, arguably the most hated DJ and laughed about DJ in his own industry.....

And Rihanna, I was excited......I went......and she was average at best! A lot of them see it as a big pay cheque and have such stipulations put on them regarding what then can and can't say and do they are scared to be themselves.

Now Snoop Dogg and Eminem now they were awesome concerts.

Madonna on the other hand was the worst act I have ever seen, although she only slightly beats Lauryn Hill to that crown unfortunately. Both were booed off stage.
Nobody doubts your clear and very extensive worldwide motorsport experience, but most people are very happy to pay their money watch the racing from one of the stands over the weekend and have a great time. Most wouldnt view it with your very experienced eye. They don't necessarily want to sit on the biggest boat or sleep in the pit lane (or whatever it is you've done) . Personally I cant think of anything worse than partying on some pretentious boat with a bunch of expats not the slightest bit interested in F1 who have paid to be there but will tell everyone they've been 'invited' but that's just me

I cant profess to know much about DJ's, current artists or when they released an album. I chose to see Lionel Richie and he was brilliant .... didn't bother with anything else, likewise wouldn't bother about Snoop Dogg or Eminem. Like you say its all a personal choice.

One thing is for sure, every single artist does it for a big pay check ..... wouldnt you ? !
Old Aug 1st 2017, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Nobody doubts your clear and very extensive worldwide motorsport experience, but most people are very happy to pay their money watch the racing from one of the stands over the weekend and have a great time. Most wouldnt view it with your very experienced eye. They don't necessarily want to sit on the biggest boat or sleep in the pit lane (or whatever it is you've done) . Personally I cant think of anything worse than partying on some pretentious boat with a bunch of expats not the slightest bit interested in F1 who have paid to be there but will tell everyone they've been 'invited' but that's just me
Who's rattled your cage?....... The OP asked, I put my opinion across and you started going on about it being due to my 'only spending 250 AED on a ticket'..... and 'better than a rainy Silverstone' so I just explained I thought otherwise due to X, Y and Z. However, you carry on and feel free to spend 1500, 2000, 3000 AED or whatever it costs for a face value ticket if that what you need to make yourself feel like a big man.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Who's rattled your cage?....... The OP asked, I put my opinion across and you started going on about it being due to my 'only spending 250 AED on a ticket'..... and 'better than a rainy Silverstone' so I just explained I thought otherwise due to X, Y and Z. However, you carry on and feel free to spend 1500, 2000, 3000 AED or whatever it costs for a face value ticket if that what you need to make yourself feel like a big man.
Blimey ... touched a nerve did I ? calm down .... nothing has rattled my cage ..... and I hardly think I was 'going on' about your ticket .... it was tongue in cheek and hence the smiley .... Cant someone respectfully disagree with you or give an alternative view in the same way you have ? ..... Wheres the 'big man' thing come from ? .... did I mention how much I was spending on tickets or whether I was buying them at face value?
Old Aug 1st 2017, 11:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Old Aug 1st 2017, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
Nah, not in the mood for wind up merchants today.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 12:42 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Shame, it had already got more interesting than last weekend's snorefest at the Hungaroring.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think he had a point. 😀😆😆😆

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.