Abu Dhabi advice needed re 18yr son

Abu Dhabi advice needed re 18yr son

Old May 10th 2010, 11:23 am
Just Joined

AD chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Abu Dhabi advice needed re 18yr son

Hi everyone
I am new to the forum so please be kind

I am living in Abu Dhabi with DH and our 3 children. The eldest of them (male) has just turned 18.

He has a 3 year residence visa expiring in 2012 but we were told by a friend that once sons turn 18 they have to leave the country. Is this true? As he has just had his birthday is he now illegal? What do we do? He isn't working here but he is doing volunteer work - non paid.

If he has to leave can he do a visa run each month? Is there a limit to how many visa runs you can do? And which country?

Many thanks for any help

cheers AD chick
Old May 10th 2010, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi advice needed re 18yr son

Originally Posted by AD chick
Hi everyone
I am new to the forum so please be kind

I am living in Abu Dhabi with DH and our 3 children. The eldest of them (male) has just turned 18.

He has a 3 year residence visa expiring in 2012 but we were told by a friend that once sons turn 18 they have to leave the country. Is this true? As he has just had his birthday is he now illegal? What do we do? He isn't working here but he is doing volunteer work - non paid.

If he has to leave can he do a visa run each month? Is there a limit to how many visa runs you can do? And which country?

Many thanks for any help

cheers AD chick

He has a visa expiring 2012, so how can he be illegal! He is on your/husbands sponsorship and has a legitimate visa
Old May 10th 2010, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Hi Grace

thanks for replying

yes that is what I thought too - when DH applied for a visa for him last year they gave him one for 3 years - it was only when a friend said they heard that sons can only stay in the UAE after they turn 18 if they are studying in UAE or working (need to transfer to a work visa)

I thought someone on this forum may have had a similar experience or know someone who has been.
Old May 10th 2010, 12:38 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
He has a visa expiring 2012, so how can he be illegal! He is on your/husbands sponsorship and has a legitimate visa
don't think it's that easy...parents can't sponsor sons over the age of 18, as far as I know he needs to be in full time education or he has to have a paid job so he gets sponsored by his employer...when they gave out the visa he was still under 18 I assume so there were no issues at that point in time?
Old May 10th 2010, 12:39 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

http://gulfnews.com/uaessentials/res...agers-1.440461

there you go...
Old May 10th 2010, 12:43 pm
hmmmm...nice

http://ukinuae.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...ae/sponsorship

and more...
Old May 10th 2010, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MataHari
Thanks matahari

I just read the article - ok he doesn't want to study in the UAE as he has a uni place in Australia - he will start there next year (he is having a gap year).

So, what do we do now? Do we need to have his visa cancelled ? and why did the ministry give him a 3 year visa to start with? I know not everything makes sense here.

If we need to cancel his visa can we do visit visa runs? If so, where to and how often can you do them?
Old May 10th 2010, 12:53 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with what MH is saying, but why would he be issued with a visa that would take him past age 18?

-
Old May 10th 2010, 12:55 pm
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Meow
I agree with what MH is saying, but why would he be issued with a visa that would take him past age 18?

-
maybe cause they assume he would be studying...I have long ago given up on finding logic in anything...
Old May 10th 2010, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Meow

-
I wondered that myself !
Old May 10th 2010, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

I replied to your previous post Matahari and when I clicked submit reply it said that it would have to be moderated first ! not sure why
Old May 10th 2010, 1:00 pm
hmmmm...nice

I replied to your previous post Matahari and when I clicked submit reply it said that it would have to be moderated first ! not sure why
oh, no idea...were you using abusive language?
Old May 10th 2010, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

oh, no idea...were you using abusive language?
No I've never used abusive language on a forum in my life !

I just wrote that my son doesn't want to study here as he has a uni place in Australia for next year. He was only staying with us on a gap year as he was too young to live on his own and start uni at 17 !

So what to do now - do we need to cancel his visa and do monthly visa runs? If so, where to and how many times can you do this?
Old May 10th 2010, 1:24 pm
hmmmm...nice

No I've never used abusive language on a forum in my life !

I just wrote that my son doesn't want to study here as he has a uni place in Australia for next year. He was only staying with us on a gap year as he was too young to live on his own and start uni at 17 !

So what to do now - do we need to cancel his visa and do monthly visa runs? If so, where to and how many times can you do this?
no idea, maybe your husbands company has a PRO who can find out more for you...I am not up to date on the visa run rules, I seem to remember reading that it's not as easy as it used to be. I wouldn't cancel his visa just yet.
The visa runs have been discussed on BE before, so maybe you can do a search on that.
Old May 10th 2010, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

don't think it's that easy...parents can't sponsor sons over the age of 18, as far as I know he needs to be in full time education or he has to have a paid job so he gets sponsored by his employer...when they gave out the visa he was still under 18 I assume so there were no issues at that point in time?
I know what you are saying, but, he has a 3 year visa which expires 2012, therefore he got the visa in 2009, when he was 17. It surprises me that they have given a 3 year visa considering he was going to be 18 in one years time, what should of happened is that they should have given him a 1 year visa till the age of 18 and then ask for proof of continuing education in the UAE and the 5000 aed deposit.

Therefore if he has a 3 year visa, and does not work he should be OK.

Immigration will not know he is not at school, so i dont see a problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.