Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Abaya Advice for Saudi

Abaya Advice for Saudi

Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Ellie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the rough
Default Abaya Advice for Saudi

Wonder if there is any ladies here in Saudi? I am moving there next month and so obviously need ot get an Abaya. I have been looking around and also have been given very conflicting advice. I realise it has to be black (I know some other countries are ok with bold colours but not Saudi) - What about patterns? nothing major - its just that I have seen some really lovley Abayas with detail on them - embroidery etc - is this acceptable in Saudi or does it have to be completley black? Like I say i have been given advice from saying you can wear ALL colours bright etc (although not sure I really believe that???!!) to advice saying no way completley black no pattern no colour.

I don't min wearing an Abaya at all but would like if I could to have a bit pattern etc if I could without offending anyone!

Thanks in advance!

Ellie
xxx
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Abaya Advice for Saudi

In general, poorer saudis will wear plain black. However, modest decorative patterns seem acceptable and mainly worn by the educated/wealthy.

You should see the outfit worn by the lady who presents the video programming shown on Saudi Arabian Airlines!
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Ellie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy

You should see the outfit worn by the lady who presents the video programming shown on Saudi Arabian Airlines!
LOL!

So I would be ok with a pattern? Where we live unfortunatley there is nowhere to buy anything like an Abaya for miles and mile - (over 100!!!!!) so I am stuck with the internet - I have seen some new ones on some of the ebay shops etc, that look very pretty - one woman that I emailed about it said that I would draw unwanted attention as it was far too decorative (although was over the top or anything!!!??) and that I should go wth a plain black one, and sent me a link!?

Ellie
xxx
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

ah - just noticed you mentioned Saudi Arabian airlines - what are they like??? I have heard some not so good reports about them and that is who we will be flying with as the school sort the flights out!

xxx
Old Aug 30th 2009, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ellie and Jason
ah - just noticed you mentioned Saudi Arabian airlines - what are they like??? I have heard some not so good reports about them and that is who we will be flying with as the school sort the flights out!

xxx
A modest decorative design is perfectly acceptable...........

.......... but a "Frankie Says Relax" slogan on the back is not advisable.

Talking of which, when I first came out to Saudi, it was round about the end of the first Gulf War, when a number of missiles had been fired to and from Riyadh/Iraq. A few of us took to wearing T-shirts with the slogan "There are only two things that work in Saudi Arabia - Patriots and expatriates".

Nobody seemed to mind... or even to understand...
Old Aug 30th 2009, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
A modest decorative design is perfectly acceptable...........

.......... but a "Frankie Says Relax" slogan on the back is not advisable.

Talking of which, when I first came out to Saudi, it was round about the end of the first Gulf War, when a number of missiles had been fired to and from Riyadh/Iraq. A few of us took to wearing T-shirts with the slogan "There are only two things that work in Saudi Arabia - Patriots and expatriates".

Nobody seemed to mind... or even to understand...
We wore one saying "Bomb technician .
When you see me running, run faster. "

That was after the compound attacks.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

In general, the abbaya's are plain black, but the patterns appear on teh cuffs, hems and sometimes on the back too. Going into the more classier Malls, you'll find a whole range of them, and some are not cheap!

Some of the young girls will wear ones with designer logo's on the back - have seen ones with the Chanel logo in sequins on the back of the abbaya.

The best advice I can offer at this stage, is get a plain black cheap one to tide you over so you have something to wear when you get here, but then, go out shopping and pick the one you want. If they sell it in the shops here, they are ok to wear!
Old Aug 30th 2009, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

hi there - thanks for the advice! I will definatley be going Abaya shopping once there for something a little more special IYSWIM?! I have found one this evening - a good price similar price to plain black one - it has just one piece of detail on it - it is on the skirt section - has embroidery/tiny sequins coming upwards - the rest is completley black. I asked the seller a bit of advice she said that it shoudl be absolutley fine for Saudi - shich is great because it really is nice - very simple, but enough to make it a bit prettier, if that makes sense??!

Quite exciting - everyday, one step closer to going!!!!!!!!

Ellie
xxx
Old Aug 31st 2009, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

hi there - thanks for the advice! I will definatley be going Abaya shopping once there for something a little more special IYSWIM?! I have found one this evening - a good price similar price to plain black one - it has just one piece of detail on it - it is on the skirt section - has embroidery/tiny sequins coming upwards - the rest is completley black. I asked the seller a bit of advice she said that it shoudl be absolutley fine for Saudi - shich is great because it really is nice - very simple, but enough to make it a bit prettier, if that makes sense??!

Quite exciting - everyday, one step closer to going!!!!!!!!

Ellie
xxx
A "pretty" abaya??

You'll be fine in Saudi, that's obvious - welcome...........
Old Aug 31st 2009, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

xxx
They are OK. .....but then in recent years I have flown domestically in Nigeria, so I am easily pleased.

I have noticed that if they are short on time taxying out for take off, they opt for Mohammed's (pbuh) travelling prayer, and leave the safety briefing until some time later in the flight....

The 'refresher' towels and foxes glacier mints are the plusses.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 7:10 am
Just Joined

l00ney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey ! Cheer up ... if u r coming to Jeddah, u will feel comfortable here, u dont need to cover ur head, just the black gown required, there are available here with various designs and embroidery. if u still had difficulty feel free to contact me when u reach here, ill ask my wife to help u get a nice one.
Cheers

Wonder if there is any ladies here in Saudi? I am moving there next month and so obviously need ot get an Abaya. I have been looking around and also have been given very conflicting advice. I realise it has to be black (I know some other countries are ok with bold colours but not Saudi) - What about patterns? nothing major - its just that I have seen some really lovley Abayas with detail on them - embroidery etc - is this acceptable in Saudi or does it have to be completley black? Like I say i have been given advice from saying you can wear ALL colours bright etc (although not sure I really believe that???!!) to advice saying no way completley black no pattern no colour.

I don't min wearing an Abaya at all but would like if I could to have a bit pattern etc if I could without offending anyone!

Thanks in advance!

Ellie
xxx
Old Aug 31st 2009, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

aww thats really lovley thankyou!

So you think I will be fine in Saudi???!!!! LOL! I hope so!

We fly into Jeddah but then have an internal flight to Abha - then it's just out from there!! We will be quite remote I imagine tbh! Ah well - peace and quiet will be nice I'm sure!

Just waiting for the visas to be sorted - Dh has his medical first thing in the morning - the school are sorting the visa process for us - all they need now is the completed medical, they reckon 2 weeks max from then - I hope so!!!! I just want to get there now!

Ellie
xxx
Old Aug 31st 2009, 10:21 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Why so excited about moving to a country with medieval laws and beliefs, where women are treated as second class citizens?

Old Aug 31st 2009, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Meow
Why so excited about moving to a country with medieval laws and beliefs, where women are treated as second class citizens?

Well I think it would be odd if I wasn't looking forward to it - because if I wasn't then why would I go???!

Ellie
xxx
Old Aug 31st 2009, 10:27 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Well I think it would be odd if I wasn't looking forward to it - because if I wasn't then why would I go???!

Ellie
xxx

For the money. The same reason that anyone moves to the Magic Kingdom.

-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.