Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

50-60K per month in Riyadh

50-60K per month in Riyadh

Old Dec 21st 2023, 10:00 am
Just Joined

menaadventure is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 50-60K per month in Riyadh

Hi everyone! I was approached for a position in Riyadh (private sector energy company) and just finished final interview. Interview went decently well. In case they come back with an offer, I would like to have better understanding about the cost of living in Riyadh. I’m currently in Dubai and it’ll still be a big change. I would appreciate if you could share some insights or opinions!

- 50-60K SAR / month is good salary for senior manager / executive manager directly reporting to C-level?
- Working culture in similar set up, especially in terms of diversity and inclusion point of view (I’m a single female in my 30s) - I’m little concerned because the company seems quite local with over 60% local, although they have recently revamped their leadership structure and got western C-level.

Side note, would it be possible for me live well (define live well haha) under 15K? I would live alone, and I will either get a car or Uber around for sometime. I don’t think I’ll live in the compound (I like the idea of privacy and freedoms inside but it’s just too expensive), I’d rather buy a small apartment in a modern area with that money (4-5 years rent in compound equals to an 1BR apartment in decent area…)

5K - Housing (if I rent off compound)
3K - Car (1K depreciation, 1K insurance/maintenance), 1K petrol
1K - Wi-Fi/Mobile
2K - Food (lunch and dinner during the week)
2K - Entertainment (eat out in fine dining)
2K - Travel (to Dubai 1-2 times a month)

Last edited by menaadventure; Dec 21st 2023 at 10:05 am. Reason: To make it more clear
Old Jan 6th 2024, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Ilovegregggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 50-60K per month in Riyadh

Westerners tend to be in senior positions, so don't be alarmed that the majority are locals. Is the company a local firm? The ones I have looked up on Glassdoor seem to mostly get praised when they pay salary on time.

How does the salary compare to what you earn now?

There are female only apartment buildings available. The quality isn't great, though my only experience is when visiting Riyadh and getting an Airbnb. Showers over toilets seem a regular thing.

Why not spice up your trips by including Bahrain? It's closer and cheaper.
Old Jan 18th 2024, 11:41 am
Just Joined

mkh278 is an unknown quantity at this point

there was a post breaking down expenses in Riyadh. Copying it here:

Originally Posted by Dominique106
Hi All - I have an offer to work on the Qiddiya project in Riyadh and in doing my research would love to hear from those living there if my package will be sufficient to cover my expeses. I have contacted schools and compunds to gets some real world figures, however it would be great to see if others thought my other expenses are realistic (ie groceies, TV Subscription) and if I am missing anyting.

We are a family of four (kids 2 and 7) and would love to live in a family friendly compound.

Basic Salary: SAR 62,000/month

Expenses/month:
Rent - 16,600
Groceries - 2000
School Fees - 6,667
Pre School - 2500
Household - 1000
Utilities - 1100
Internet - 400
Mobile - 400
Car Hire - 1500
Annual Holiday - 2000
Home Insurance - 83
Clothing - 1500
TV Subscription - 300
Entertainment/Eating Out - 4000
Misc - 2000
Mortgage back home - 9300

Total Expenses: 51,600 SAR per month
Old Feb 6th 2024, 8:19 pm

wilkobury is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mkh278

Hi All - I have an offer to work on the Qiddiya project in Riyadh and in doing my research would love to hear from those living there if my package will be sufficient to cover my expeses. I have contacted schools and compunds to gets some real world figures, however it would be great to see if others thought my other expenses are realistic (ie groceies, TV Subscription) and if I am missing anyting.

We are a family of four (kids 2 and 7) and would love to live in a family friendly compound.

Expenses/month:
Rent - 16,600
Groceries - 2000
School Fees - 6,667
Pre School - 2500
Household - 1000
Utilities - 1100
Internet - 400
Mobile - 400
Car Hire - 1500
Annual Holiday - 2000
Home Insurance - 83
Clothing - 1500
TV Subscription - 300
Entertainment/Eating Out - 4000
Misc - 2000
Mortgage back home - 9300

Total Expenses: 51,600 SAR per month
Check, you may get a portion of school fees reimbursed. General groceries and entertainment living you’ll spend maybe double that. Car hire will be at least double, probably treble. Holidays, depends on how many, but assume you’ll want to go away every school holiday, everyone else does…
Old Feb 14th 2024, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

NHNH2016 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wilkobury
Check, you may get a portion of school fees reimbursed. General groceries and entertainment living you’ll spend maybe double that. Car hire will be at least double, probably treble. Holidays, depends on how many, but assume you’ll want to go away every school holiday, everyone else does…
I agree with wilkobury

- check your nursery fees again---don't be surprised you will be paying similar costs as your 7 year old.
- car hire you are talking double just for a basic nissan sunny
- I have a mobile package of 230 SAR per month which has unlimited social media data including whatsapp, youtube etc. unlimited texts/calls nationally
- holidays 2000? If you're looking at staying within KSA sure but flights alone to neighbouring GCC countries will cost you more than 2000 SAR
- i live like a hermit and spend 2000 per month on per month groceries/takeouts 2 per week and just on my own. You guys are four?

- my suggestion, rent your house back home so you arent paying all of your 9300 SAR mortgage per month.
Old Feb 14th 2024, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

KiFromUk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NHNH2016
I agree with wilkobury

- check your nursery fees again---don't be surprised you will be paying similar costs as your 7 year old.
If that might be of any help, annual fees for BISR for each year group (I understand this is the most expensive in Riyadh) can be found in their website.

You add on top the equivalent of ~ 1 month’s fees for one-off expenses.
Old Feb 29th 2024, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

fs05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mkh278

Expenses/month:
Rent - 16,600
Groceries - 2000
School Fees - 6,667
Pre School - 2500
Household - 1000
Utilities - 1100
Internet - 400
Mobile - 400
Car Hire - 1500
Annual Holiday - 2000