4x4

Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:49 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4x4

Originally Posted by Quickyj
HOnda s2000 at the moment and i bloody love it, dont want to let it go....i would probably live in it if possible....

i love the fact i posted this randomly and there's been a hefty response. From now on i will appoint myself, poster of all that is random.
now they are quite rare out here, I saw one just a couple of weeks ago, the driver said he had waited 3 months to get it
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cham128
actually the torque in my car has stopped me being dead on a number of occasions... roundabouts in particular, but there was also an incident where i was overtaking a lorry and it started to shed it's load... accelerating past it meant i didn't get flattened by it...
if you're beside a lorry doing say 80kph and it starts to shed it's load....well....are there cars in existence that can accelerate faster from 80kph to get past the front of the truck than the time it takes to hit the picks and end up behind the truck?

and the stuff that falls off is still doing the same speed as the lorry so you probably wouldn't hit that either if you braked.

I'm with gareth on this one.
But then again I drive a 4L chev lumina (Hence the name jeeper) and nothings fallen on me yet.

....and thinking about it - if you decided to hit the brakes chances are there would be a tinted out land cruiser on your backside that would end up shunting you back under the load again!

I'm a one man debating comp.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quickyj
HOnda s2000 at the moment and i bloody love it, dont want to let it go....i would probably live in it if possible....

i love the fact i posted this randomly and there's been a hefty response. From now on i will appoint myself, poster of all that is random.
oh no we post plenty of random crap.
what is amazing is that its stayed on-topic!

think S2000's are manual only so not popular our here.
most people drive automatics because of the traffic.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:50 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
most people drive automatics because of the traffic.
that and the fact that most drivers here probably couldnt operate a gearstick. Indicators, fog lights, lights and windscreen wipers all surpase the average skill level here so i would imagine that gears would be tricky for them.
(to be honest steering seems an issue half the time as well)
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:53 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

had a nightmare yesterday on the Al Khail Road. Just outside where DCC used to be (). I was doddling along quite nicely when I saw trouble ahead, a lorry jacknifed and cut across the four lanes, and end up on the central reservation, hit a land crusier and a few others, cars braking and screeching, me crapping myself but knew I was safe. Pulled into the slow lane put my foot down and was outa there!!! it was scarey though!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:06 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
had a nightmare yesterday on the Al Khail Road. Just outside where DCC used to be (). I was doddling along quite nicely when I saw trouble ahead, a lorry jacknifed and cut across the four lanes, and end up on the central reservation, hit a land crusier and a few others, cars braking and screeching, me crapping myself but knew I was safe. Pulled into the slow lane put my foot down and was outa there!!! it was scarey though!
jackknifed on a very gentle bend on a dry road......now that takes skills
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
jackknifed on a very gentle bend on a dry road......now that takes skills
the accident causing skills truck drivers here is not to be underestimated.

neither is there companies' ability to seriously overload badly maintained trucks.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:27 am
Concierge

I honestly have no idea how it happened, but I could see it happening if that makes sense! I was more worried about being back ended having a 3 year old asleep in the back sorta scares the shit out of you! fortunately the car behind saw the hazards and backed off. I have been here ten years and I know you will find it hard to believe but I have only ever seen one bad accident with my own eyes. Seen millions in the papers but only one for myself. It was a BMW Z5 (sorry MM) literally split in half in Garhoud. Obviously I don't get out enough!!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

LOL Shiva... have a look at your own signature....
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:41 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by seven seas
LOL Shiva... have a look at your own signature....

lol fair point but i do stuff that makes me smile quite often so na na
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:44 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
the accident causing skills truck drivers here is not to be underestimated.

neither is there companies' ability to seriously overload badly maintained trucks.
only too true i'm afraid. i reckon i've seen the laws of physics and engineering being bent right out of shape here. trucks that at home you would be sure wouldnt even start/carry that load/axles should have collapsed/have someone suicidal enough to drive......are a daily occurence on the demolition derby that is al khail road.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by shiva
only too true i'm afraid. i reckon i've seen the laws of physics and engineering being bent right out of shape here. trucks that at home you would be sure wouldnt even start/carry that load/axles should have collapsed/have someone suicidal enough to drive......are a daily occurence on the demolition derby that is al khail road.
well I work in transport and although my job is the maritime side I do sometimes need to contract trucking. I know they are loading 70 tons or more on some of these trucks
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Wow.

I hope the authorities get onto this ASAP.

Imagine getting hurt because of something like this...
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Soooo- what's the consensus then - I'm confused?

Keep dipping and and out of this one - are 4x4's safer? from what I can make it - it seems they are not as safe as people first think they are - is that a fair summary?

Having said that, I still fancy 'tooling around in one' as another poster put it, while I can afford to do it due to stoopidly cheap petrol prices. WOuld never think of it here, as I really don't think they needed on Britains roads.

Does anyone here have an X5? Any good - would you recommend them? Was looking at a buying a used Land / Range Rover when I get out there - eventually, things are moving v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y here.

Last edited by nottmbantam; Feb 5th 2008 at 11:53 am. Reason: piss poor typing
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:55 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Soooo- what's the consensus then - I'm confused?

Keep dipping and and out of this one - are 4x4's safer? from what I can make it - it seems they are not as safe as people first think they are - is that a fair summary?

Having said that, I still fancy 'tooling around in one' as another poster put it, while I can afford to do it due to stoopidly cheap petrol prices. WOuld never think of it here, as I really don't think they needed on Britains roads.

Does anyone here have an X5? Any good - would you recommend them? Was looking at a buying a used Land / Range Rover when I get out there - eventually, things are moving v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y here.

MM might sell you hers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.