Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

48 h/week, is it worth it

48 h/week, is it worth it

Old Jul 26th 2016, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 48 h/week, is it worth it

Originally Posted by mission
dayummm, you guys really do pull in the long hours....the hours you guys mention ie 50 plus with weekends thrown in on a regular basis - I did when I was first started my career.
I work Sun-Thurs...I get in the office around 9ish and am out of the door 4.50ish to avoid the 5pm exist traffic..sometimes I go off in the afternoon for 1-2 hrs to do personal errands lol....I have a barely 10-15 min commute.
Definitely feeling blessed Alhumdulillaah
Every office has someone like you......
Old Jul 26th 2016, 10:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by iggle
Saturday to Thursday
Start 7am -
on BE Forum
Finish 17:45/18:00
Little edit for you mate.

Originally Posted by mission
dayummm, you guys really do pull in the long hours....the hours you guys mention ie 50 plus with weekends thrown in on a regular basis - I did when I was first started my career.
I work Sun-Thurs...I get in the office around 9ish and am out of the door 4.50ish to avoid the 5pm exist traffic..sometimes I go off in the afternoon for 1-2 hrs to do personal errands lol....I have a barely 10-15 min commute.
Definitely feeling blessed Alhumdulillaah
During Rammers I was highly effective, efficient and motivated at work.

Instead of 8-6 we did 8-4 and I used to get beyond lunch and think; shit, I want to go at 4 and powered through a load of work and got it done, went home at 4.

Unfortunately I can ALWAYS do a bit more in my job so I find by 6pm I've had enough and shoot off.

If I ran a place it would be 8-4 every day.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

KJinDoha is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems that working in the GCC is often not all its cracked up to be. I guess this is why many demand packages way above what is achievable in the UK, in addition to tax free earnings.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Every office has someone like you......
Bah Humbug
As long as I submit my reports on time (and trust me I have enough of those throughout the month), no one bothers me.
The only time I clock in extended hours is when it's budget and audit time.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Malhoof is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scamp
Since changing office locations and contract (with same firm) I now work an extra hour a day.

Fortunately, the office is on my doorstep (literally) so I actually leave later and get home earlier every day anyway.

With 7.44 posts/day on BE, that is like 2 hours, where you spend the rest working hours ??
Old Jul 26th 2016, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Malhoof
With 7.44 posts/day on BE, that is like 2 hours, where you spend the rest working hours ??
120 mins / 7.44 = 16 minutes a post. I don't think so, I don't take 16 minutes to shit, let alone write a post on here.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 5:51 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work in London, then did an internal transfer to this place. They work you far harder here than in the UK and expectations are higher as an expat. If any of my team started talking to me over a few hours extra they'd by out. We are paid well here for a reason.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

NewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to behold

I worked in Abu Dhabi for 2 years and did the 48 hour thing.

However I am surprised that if you are in a six-figure salary in Canada you are doing 40 hours. I have worked in Europe and the US and I have never done "40 hours week" (no matter what my contract says) and I don't know a single person that in "professional" jobs (consulting, finance, law, construction) do 40 hours a week (unless you are in a boring back-office or administrative position)... in fact I am sure most of them would sign for a 48 hour week!

If you work 40 hours a week and earn 6-figures in Canada, do not even think about the Middle East.

Originally Posted by scot47
The OP has a definite sense of "Entitlement". Sounds like a UAE or KSA National !
Probably Lebanese, talk about entitlement.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 7:28 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

I have worked in schools in KSA, Cairo and Dubai. Hours vary depending on what is happening at any one time of year. I would say average is 50+ a week.

I have just finished my first term in a new job where many of those weeks were between 50 and 60 hours.

One week I worked a 55 hour week Sunday to Thursday followed by a 2 day swim meet over the weekend.

Hard work but good pay
Old Jul 27th 2016, 1:35 am
Just Joined

Malhoof is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NewCaledonia
I worked in Abu Dhabi for 2 years and did the 48 hour thing.

If you work 40 hours a week and earn 6-figures in Canada, do not even think about the Middle East.

Well it is 40 h/week the base and build on that, if you are working more than 40 then you are compensated somehow (At least here in Quebec), management is something else, again the compensation is accordingly

UK "You can’t work more than 48 hours a week on average" , https://www.gov.uk/maximum-weekly-wo...hours/overview, it seems that where the 48 h/week come from, since all GCC draw their laws with the UK as a guide

so Who works the longest hours in Europe? check this https://www.theguardian.com/news/dat...-working-hours.... but does not matter anymore with the Brexit !!! and also look at productivity

So the bottom line, to move, the offer should be (maybe 20%) on top of salary and not just a tax saving which will be consumed by topping the accommodation allowance, extra hours and........... Having said that, some folks have a really good packages in the GCC
Old Jul 27th 2016, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I used to work in London, then did an internal transfer to this place. They work you far harder here than in the UK and expectations are higher as an expat. If any of my team started talking to me over a few hours extra they'd by out. We are paid well here for a reason.
On the money with this one . Too many fellas around watching the clock and trying to avoid a bit of weekend work or getting caught covering a holiday . Heard the excuses a million times over the years.

We pay well and with good benefits and expect a return on senior staff.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 4:05 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
On the money with this one . Too many fellas around watching the clock and trying to avoid a bit of weekend work or getting caught covering a holiday . Heard the excuses a million times over the years.

When I am working 60 plus hours a week the quality of work drops. You need a break from work, you need to relax, you need to refresh yourself.

My life atm is, 6am wake, work, get home at 7pm, gym, cook dinner then sleep, 6 days a week. Is that really a life?

*I might be able to squeeze in a cheeky spanking of the monkey to Gina Gerson and a Battlefield 4 game, but thats about it.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 4:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by co durham boy

When I am working 60 plus hours a week the quality of work drops. You need a break from work, you need to relax, you need to refresh yourself.

My life atm is, 6am wake, work, get home at 7pm, gym, cook dinner then sleep, 6 days a week. Is that really a life?

*I might be able to squeeze in a cheeky spanking of the monkey to Gina Gerson and a Battlefield 4 game, but thats about it.
I'm torn between these two.

I'm happy to put a shift in but working for the sake of working (at midnight on a Wednesday there is nobody else here and you're doing shit for the sake of it) is pointless and makes you less effective.

But, sometimes you got to just get shit done.

The worst thing above all though, is leaving on time and people making comments / chucking glances. I hate that.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'm torn between these two.

I'm happy to put a shift in but working for the sake of working (at midnight on a Wednesday there is nobody else here and you're doing shit for the sake of it) is pointless and makes you less effective.

But, sometimes you got to just get shit done.

The worst thing above all though, is leaving on time and people making comments / chucking glances. I hate that.
It's relative to the industry you're in as well and the demographic you're working with . Certain people will sit at desks 12 hrs per day 7 days per week and produce nowt of worth .

I'm against that , what you produce is key . I try and give people the scope to do their job and leave it to them on how they get it done within reason of course.

What i do require though is for guys to react when needed whether that's at Eid or Wednesday morning at 1am.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

50-60 hours a week, no thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.