Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

3Month contract Accountant in Dubai moving from Manchester,UK

3Month contract Accountant in Dubai moving from Manchester,UK

Old Jul 28th 2012, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

feyzal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3Month contract Accountant in Dubai moving from Manchester,UK

Hi, I have been offered a 3 month contract at a healthe centre in Dubai..I am a recently qualified accountant btw with a secure job in sunny Manchester, UK..

The pay is not excellent..its only 3 months..with possibility of extension..it is a bit strange that its only 3 months 2bh..

Im thinking about packing my bags and just experiencing dubai..i could well be out of a job after 3 months and back to square 1..but im really tempted to move after holidaying in dubai a couple of times i really like it..im not married/ kids..living at home with parents..

From research i have been told to avoid international city for accomodation and expect to pay 750gbp for 1 bed half decent..will i have to do a Oman Visa run after 3 months if i want to stay with no job..

anything else i should be aware of..whats the job market like for newly qualified accountants in uae..many thanks..any advice would be much appreciated..
Old Jul 28th 2012, 6:20 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 3Month contract Accountant in Dubai moving from Manchester,UK

Originally Posted by feyzal
Hi, I have been offered a 3 month contract at a healthe centre in Dubai..I am a recently qualified accountant btw with a secure job in sunny Manchester, UK..

The pay is not excellent..its only 3 months..with possibility of extension..it is a bit strange that its only 3 months 2bh..

Im thinking about packing my bags and just experiencing dubai..i could well be out of a job after 3 months and back to square 1..but im really tempted to move after holidaying in dubai a couple of times i really like it..im not married/ kids..living at home with parents..

From research i have been told to avoid international city for accomodation and expect to pay 750gbp for 1 bed half decent..will i have to do a Oman Visa run after 3 months if i want to stay with no job..

anything else i should be aware of..whats the job market like for newly qualified accountants in uae..many thanks..any advice would be much appreciated..
Firstly you can't legally work on a visit visa, no way I would come here on just a 3 month contract - unless I worked for KPMG for example.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

ACA, ACCA or CIMA?

The answer to that question doesn't really matter, but if you are considering quitting a secure job for a short term contract on a crap salary that will leave you fully exposed to UK income tax then I'm going to assume it's ACCA.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi, sorry the employers are going to arrange a work visa but its only for 3 mnths..dont know what im going to do after then..if i accept that is..

And yes i do work for kpmg in public sector internal audit..but the job in Duabi is with a small health centre..and yes i am acca..how did you guess..? thanks i hadnt considered uk tax implications..i also have a student loan..
Old Jul 28th 2012, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Kix and I have crystal balls.

Seriously though, and I don't often hand out helpful advice on here so be grateful, I think it would be a bad idea.

You need to consider carefully how hard it will be to return back to the UK (your 3 months of Dubai experience will account [get it?] for nothing) and the UK economy is in the shitters.

Finding a new job here may take you another 3 months and it is a very expensive place to live. Additionally, the pay will be crap as you will be competing with lentil counters from India.

Other points to consider... I'm not sure a 3 month "work visa" actually exists, they are 2 years now, so the compnay will probably just play games with you until the 3 months is up. You'd be illegal all that time.

Also... Rent is payable in advance by typically around 4 months [so you need to fund the accrual of 'rent in advance' under assets on the balance sheet of Feyzel]. You would also be signing an annual lease [this is probably a note to the balance sheet of Feyzel stating the long term non debt obligation] which might be a problem. Short term lets are expensive. I would say that it's best you find a flat share.

EDIT > Can we ask the salary? As high as this number sounds 10k (all in, i.e. no benefits at all on top which I assume will be the case for a 3 month contract) is generally regarded as a level that would support living on the breadline.

Last edited by Millhouse; Jul 28th 2012 at 7:53 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

thanks millhouse..wow youve really made me re-consider..which i ddint think anybody could..that sounds like some really good advice..yeh weird about the 3 month visa..i thought that was strange..

salary is 11.5k which i thought was reasonable to live on..but im comparing to manchester living costs..lol..

..u really pose a convincing argument..i really shouldnt quitmy secure half decent job in this economy..but i really want to move to middle east..im 24 now and i think it will be really difficult if i wasnt living at home or had mortgage/family commitments etc..ive just qualified as acca and thought lets go!! but maybe i should wait a little longer and try for a better job..
Old Jul 28th 2012, 9:13 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

thanks millhouse..wow youve really made me re-consider..which i ddint think anybody could..that sounds like some really good advice..yeh weird about the 3 month visa..i thought that was strange..

salary is 11.5k which i thought was reasonable to live on..but im comparing to manchester living costs..lol..

..u really pose a convincing argument..i really shouldnt quitmy secure half decent job in this economy..but i really want to move to middle east..im 24 now and i think it will be really difficult if i wasnt living at home or had mortgage/family commitments etc..ive just qualified as acca and thought lets go!! but maybe i should wait a little longer and try for a better job..
Can you learn to spell and articulate yourself in writing? If not we don't want you.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I assume you 'really want to move to the Middle East' for the money - this is a perfectly legitimate reason. If this is the case, then you need to hold out and do it properly and not take the first thing that falls into your lap. In the glory days of 2005, I was offered a job for 30k/month as a new qualified accountant in a fund. It fell through and with hindsight that was a good thing. Today, salaries will be lower but you should be able to get 25k.

In my opinion 11.5k really isn't worth it for a 3 month contract as the set up costs are too high. You'll end up at a loss. But, if you are hell bent on doing it make sure your exit back to the UK is secured in case you don't find a suitable job here after. Try and take a 3-4 month career break - this isn't uncommon amongst newly qualifieds and gives you the flexibility you need.

What you do, or do not, tell the tax man is your moral judgement. If you end up paying income tax on your 11.5k then financially it really does not work. But, be careful, you screw that up and you get put on the ACCA naughty list and debarred - which would make the last 3 years of study somewhat pointless.

As for moving with baggage - it's not that difficult. You'll find 80% of posters here came with a combination of the following: wives, children, mistresses, children from previous marriages, CSA payments, houses, mortgages and personal debts.

So, in short: get to 'audit manager' and transfer with KPMG.

Last edited by Millhouse; Jul 29th 2012 at 4:19 am.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:26 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

Other points to consider... I'm not sure a 3 month "work visa" actually exists, they are 2 years now, so the compnay will probably just play games with you until the 3 months is up. You'd be illegal all that time.
Companies can apply for a Mission Visa for (seconded) employees for short periods.

Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Meow
Companies can apply for a Mission Visa for (seconded) employees for short periods.

Correct, but he is not on secondment. Or does it work differently?
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:29 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Correct, but he is not on secondment.
Hence seconded was in brackets. I thought he was, but you can get them for other short term employees as well.