Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

32,000QAR per month in Doha

32,000QAR per month in Doha

Old Nov 25th 2015, 1:26 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
5iverlife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 32,000QAR per month in Doha

Hi all - I have accepted an offer and will be starting in Doha in January. It is over double what I am currently making and I have only been working full-time 2 years since leaving university, and looking to establish myself long-term in the Middle East. I am a single man with no debts, mortgages etc.

I have seen very detailed posts on accomodation and car rentals, but would like to know a little more about day-to-day living, such as:

-I will be working in West Bay and plan to eat out for lunch everyday and drink coffee. I know there are cheap cafes in Qatar, but would you also find them around West Bay?

-I would want to live in a furnished apartment as I am initially committing for one year to my current role before I look for any other role in the region with significant higher pay. There does not seem to be a big discrepancy in prices for furnished apartments by suburbs. I am thinking of just taking the plunge and spending 12k on a furnished apartment in West Bay with utilities included.

Would it be realistic to set aside 15k a month for accomodation and car rental? Can I live on 12k a month expenses for everything else (that could be stretched to 17k, but am aiming to save 5k a month hopefully)?

I am an introvert by nature so am not too fussed about buckling down and focusing on my career at least for the initial year. I would work hard and my expenses/leisure would be take away food and coffee. I would very much like to pay a bit more to enjoy the comforts of my home as going out is not high on my priority list.

Is there a possibility that a flat in West Bay area that is all inclusive would have drawbacks, like extremely slow Internet? Or not be sound proof whatsoever? I would be willing to pay up to 12k a month on rent for a furnished apartment (+3k budget for rental car).

Would it sound reasonable to be able to live on 12k a month after accomodation, car and (most) utilities are paid for? Grateful to hear your thoughts as a first-timer in the region.

Last edited by 5iverlife; Nov 25th 2015 at 1:30 pm.
5iverlife is offline  
Old Nov 25th 2015, 3:03 pm
  #2  
Onwards and Upwards!
 
Johnnyboy11's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 782
Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 32,000QAR per month in Doha

My thoughts...

Watch your tax residency status. You will be provisionally non-resident until you work full time overseas for a full tax year, with strict criteria, so 6th April 2017 at the earliest.

West Bay is dead, best to look for a furnished apartment in say Al Saad, Al Wabb or Abu Hamour for around QAR8k/m, but traffic is a problem across Doha so check out your commute time. A mini rental car is QAR2k/m, or 4k for a basic 4x4.

Remember to factor in non-salary expenses like medical cover, pension (20%), illness cover, redundancy etc.

In your circumstances, I'd go for it. Doha has its issues, and can be extremely frustrating at times, but rewarding if you are tolerant and open minded. Everything is here, if you are prepared to look.

My experience, anyway.
Johnnyboy11 is offline  
Old Nov 25th 2015, 9:37 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
5iverlife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 32,000QAR per month in Doha

Thank you for your response Johnnyboy11.

I forgot to mention that I will also have private health insurance and an allowance for annual flights home. Understood re tax condition - I would be rarely spending any time in the UK once moving over.

I am just curious about your comment on West Bay being dead? Would that be in terms of after business hours, for dinner options/entertainment? Are there cheap eateries available in West Bay or are they concentrated in specific parts of Doha?

And do you think it is worth trading extra commute time by living outside of West Bay (where I will be working) to be in a suburb with more amenities at hand?

I am confident that as I continue to gain experience in my field, my wage will grow each year - so it is just an issue of being able to make it the first year or two on this salary. Do you think 12k for food/coffee/occasional socialising is feasible for a single man?

Thank you for letting me pick your brain!
5iverlife is offline  
Old Nov 26th 2015, 4:05 am
  #4  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 23,642
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 32,000QAR per month in Doha

Originally Posted by 5iverlife View Post
It is over double what I am currently making and I have only been working full-time 2 years since leaving university


-I would want to live in a furnished apartment as I am initially committing for one year to my current role before I look for any other role in the region with significant higher pay.

Can I live on 12k a month expenses for everything else
Few things here.

1. 32k with two years experience is a very good offer. What do you do?
2. Why only do a year? You won't be able to take another role in Qatar after just a year (NOC issues). What makes you think there will be significantly higher pay with another 12 months experience?
3. Yes. 12k a month = c3k a week. That is more than enough to live nicely. I actually budget 1600 a week, but that doesn't include golf or the big food shop.
Scamp is online now  
Old Nov 26th 2015, 4:23 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
5iverlife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 32,000QAR per month in Doha

Hi Scamp, thank you for your reply. I am a lawyer, but I was in university for a long time so started my career late in life.

Do you think it is worth living in West Bay if I will be working there also? Will there be cheap eateries around? I would love to go to cafes or small shops to get a curry or chicken/rice plate of some sort for 20 or 30QAR!
5iverlife is offline  
Old Nov 26th 2015, 4:44 am
  #6  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 23,642
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 32,000QAR per month in Doha

Originally Posted by 5iverlife View Post
Hi Scamp, thank you for your reply. I am a lawyer, but I was in university for a long time so started my career late in life.

Do you think it is worth living in West Bay if I will be working there also? Will there be cheap eateries around? I would love to go to cafes or small shops to get a curry or chicken/rice plate of some sort for 20 or 30QAR!
Understood. I thought it might be something like that - I know little of your industry unfortunately.

I know little about Qatar either if I'm honest mate, I've only had the pleasure a few times but West Bay is busy. There's a mall somewhere round there that has loads of food options from cafes to restaurants / fast food.

You'll definitely get the cheap stuff too. Loads of delivery places as well. I spend probably 30 a day on lunch - sandwich and crisps delivered. Could spend a lot more but there are definitely lots of cheap options across the Middle East.
Scamp is online now  
Old Dec 1st 2015, 9:35 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Doha now...
Posts: 137
Venezuelan007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 32,000QAR per month in Doha

Originally Posted by 5iverlife View Post
Thank you for your response Johnnyboy11.

I forgot to mention that I will also have private health insurance and an allowance for annual flights home. Understood re tax condition - I would be rarely spending any time in the UK once moving over.

I am just curious about your comment on West Bay being dead? Would that be in terms of after business hours, for dinner options/entertainment? Are there cheap eateries available in West Bay or are they concentrated in specific parts of Doha?

And do you think it is worth trading extra commute time by living outside of West Bay (where I will be working) to be in a suburb with more amenities at hand?

I am confident that as I continue to gain experience in my field, my wage will grow each year - so it is just an issue of being able to make it the first year or two on this salary. Do you think 12k for food/coffee/occasional socialising is feasible for a single man?

Thank you for letting me pick your brain!
West Bay is as dead as the rest of Doha, if its close to your work location go for it. West bay is the best chance to get somewhat close to a luxury accommodation... without real quality and double the price, if that is what you aim for.

cheap eateries in westbay... only in the food courts in malls. If you want something like shawarma or briyani takeout close to your place you'd better live in al saad or musheireb

Entertainment... what is that like? Ive been here to long now...

I would live in the office next to my office if I could. Traffic here is PAIN, and stupid crazy drivers are the rule, not the exception. If you live a half hour drive from work, you will have at least 6 near death experiences DAILY.

Don't count on promotions and salary raises... I don't know what you do or your growth projections but IMO this is not the place for that.

Anyway, don't sweat it... 32k is more than enough for a single man, I'm here with less than that and get to save enough to make it worth it
Venezuelan007 is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2015, 8:57 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
5iverlife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 32,000QAR per month in Doha

Hi Venezuelan007, appreciate your responses to my questions. Thank you for reassuring me in regard to unrealistic pay rises, and as to the quality of life I can have on my salary.
5iverlife is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 5:51 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
co durham boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,947
co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 32,000QAR per month in Doha

Bottom line is that Qatar is shit . No point paying a premium for a flat in West Bay when you can get a decent one in Al Saad for 8-9000 Rips .

You have enough in your budget to do well if you watch the cash and be wise . Socializing is cash intensive but you need to do some as you'll go mental .

Remember try and not look out of the window at work during the day or you'll have nowt to do at night .

Enjoy
co durham boy is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 6:03 am
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
5iverlife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 32,000QAR per month in Doha

Hi and thanks for your reply. Though I have strong socialising skills I really am an introvert by nature. I live in a big city with lots of things to do but I always like to spend my time at home - hopefully that character trait of mine will make me adapt a bit better/quicker to life in Qatar.

You mention paying 8,000-9,000QAR. I have seen master bedrooms or bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms that are advertised in hotel apartments in West Bay that go for around that price. It looks like you would be sharing with 2 or 3 others but everyone would have their own bedroom and bathroom - do you know anyone who has lived like that? It seems quite tempting just from the advertisements as it includes utilities, use of hotel amenities, and housekeeping/change of linen.

It seems too good to be true so I imagine there must be an obvious downside that I am missing out by not living/working in the region yet? I would love to spend 7-8000QAR on an all-inclusive comfortable (dare I say false luxury?) bedroom in a shared apartment and save more money.
5iverlife is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 6:19 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
co durham boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,947
co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 32,000QAR per month in Doha

Originally Posted by 5iverlife View Post
Hi and thanks for your reply. Though I have strong socialising skills I really am an introvert by nature. I live in a big city with lots of things to do but I always like to spend my time at home - hopefully that character trait of mine will make me adapt a bit better/quicker to life in Qatar.

You mention paying 8,000-9,000QAR. I have seen master bedrooms or bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms that are advertised in hotel apartments in West Bay that go for around that price. It looks like you would be sharing with 2 or 3 others but everyone would have their own bedroom and bathroom - do you know anyone who has lived like that? It seems quite tempting just from the advertisements as it includes utilities, use of hotel amenities, and housekeeping/change of linen.

It seems too good to be true so I imagine there must be an obvious downside that I am missing out by not living/working in the region yet? I would love to spend 7-8000QAR on an all-inclusive comfortable (dare I say false luxury?) bedroom in a shared apartment and save more money.
You can get a decent apartment of your own in Al Saad for 8-9000 furnished with amenities and it's 20mins away from West Bay if you want your own privacy .

My advice is don't rule anything out as things change all the time here and give yourself some time before making a choice on digs
co durham boy is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 6:25 am
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
5iverlife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 32,000QAR per month in Doha

Thanks co durham boy - I kinda like the choice of the hotel apartment at first instance as I would not be tied to a 1-year lease and then consider my options as I discovered the city a lot more.

Do you have a preferred bank in Qatar for banking?

Thank you for your responses and any additional advice you may have from anecdotal experience or that you wished you knew before you came here, would be most appreciated!
5iverlife is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 6:32 am
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
 
co durham boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,947
co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 32,000QAR per month in Doha

Originally Posted by 5iverlife View Post
Thanks co durham boy - I kinda like the choice of the hotel apartment at first instance as I would not be tied to a 1-year lease and then consider my options as I discovered the city a lot more.

Do you have a preferred bank in Qatar for banking?

Thank you for your responses and any additional advice you may have from anecdotal experience or that you wished you knew before you came here, would be most appreciated!
HSBC and QNB are the best out of a bad bunch . Have a browse through www.timeoutdoha.com and Home - Qatar Happening to see what kind of things are going on .

I'd go and buy the Explorer book on Qatar , you can get it in Waterstones or Smiths and it's full of real good info that'll keep you in good form when you arrive .
co durham boy is offline  
Old Dec 4th 2015, 3:56 am
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Location: Tahitian Village
Posts: 295
Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 32,000QAR per month in Doha

Originally Posted by co durham boy View Post
My advice is don't rule anything out as things change all the time here and give yourself some time before making a choice on digs
Good advice. I'm in Dubai rather than Doha but in the end have spent 17 months living in a hotel, which is definitely doable. 7 months left here so a bit pointless moving now. Not everybody's cup of tea but works for me as a single bloke: cheaper than a flat on a long-stay corporate rate, no cleaning/furniture shopping/wifi/deposits/utilities to worry about, decent pool, bar downstairs, walk to work, get laundry done by the little man at Emirates Co-op, latest English footy news from the Ugandan doormen and flexible for an easy exit if need be. A couple of us from our place do it. It was originally because I didn't know if I was going to stick it out, so a year's tenancy seemed a long time, but both the job and Premier Inn breakfasts have kind of grown on me, the latter mostly on the front.
Standanista is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.