Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

24 Female thinking of moving to Dubai

24 Female thinking of moving to Dubai

Old Oct 4th 2007, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

ce2batson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 24 Female thinking of moving to Dubai

Hi, new to the site thanks for all the info from the other posts!

I may be moving to Dubai with work late 07/early 08. Have been reading some of the threads on here, but still have a few questions...

Can someone tell me where may be best to live if work is in the Dubai Int Financial Centre? And how much would it cost to lease a 4 x 4 (I dont think its worth buying for 2 years)

Also, what do people think is a decent salary enough to live a similar lifestyle to in London - presuming the company will pay medical, flights home?

Will I get taxed if I send money back home to pay loans etc?

Thanks in advance really looking forward to moving out of grey London
Old Oct 4th 2007, 5:50 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 24 Female thinking of moving to Dubai

it's a long time since I was in London, never lived in central london, maybe MM will be able to help when she is on line. Depending on your housing allowance, try looking at the Sheik Zayed Road area, Satwa, Mankhool, Jafflyia and Jumeirah 1.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

If you are working at the DIFC you can live one side of it in Mankool or Satwa or anywhere the other side from Jumeira through Umm Suqeim out as far as the marina.
Traffic wont be a big problem as you'll be coming the opposite way to all the jams.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

I read that as 24 Females thinking of moving. I could just imagine Inslf licking his lips!!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
I read that as 24 Females thinking of moving. I could just imagine Inslf licking his lips!!
Im so transparent
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Great stuff - plsed to hear about the traffic it seems to be the biggest downside of living in Dubai...
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ce2batson
Great stuff - plsed to hear about the traffic it seems to be the biggest downside of living in Dubai...
for some people (which includes most/all of the board contributors and will include yourself) that's probably true.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

if you are out by the Marina which is the furthest you are likely to live from work you will only have a 30-40 minute commute at max.

watch out though as i think they have a drastic parking shortage at the DIFC gate building.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

wow you're brave... not the move i'm sure you'll be fine... just posting the title of the thread as "24 Female thinking of moving to Dubai"

see you out there in jan!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Cham128
wow you're brave... not the move i'm sure you'll be fine... just posting the title of the thread as "24 Female thinking of moving to Dubai"

see you out there in jan!
she is! but we are being nice until she feels comfortable on here then the usual standard of replies will commence
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
she is! but we are being nice until she feels comfortable on here then the usual standard of replies will commence
I had typed a longer response then i thought hmmm... better not scare her off too early lol
Old Oct 5th 2007, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

what have i let myself in for?

ok so i checked the map and jumeirah 1 looks like a good option (although no doubt expensive)

so now i have to think about a car, leasing a standard 4 x 4 a good idea?nothing too fancy or too huge as i will no doubt be unable to park it - i currently drive a clio. how much do you reckon it would cost?
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ok so i checked the map and jumeirah 1 looks like a good option (although no doubt expensive)

so now i have to think about a car, leasing a standard 4 x 4 a good idea?nothing too fancy or too huge as i will no doubt be unable to park it - i currently drive a clio. how much do you reckon it would cost?
i take it you haven't experienced the driving in dubai before? lol I borrowed my friends Yaris whilst i was there last (her car was being repaired) and it was probably the scariest experience of my life...

don't worry though most parking spaces are american size so unless you buy a hummer you should be ok... just get one with parking sensors it really helps...
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

jumeirah 1 is phenomenally expensive and is mostly villas, what sort of accomodation are you looking at and what's the budget...?

Sorry i don't know anything about leasing, but would recommend a 4x4 for sure...and if even i can park one, then you defo will be able to, lol...

MM, xx
Old Oct 6th 2007, 7:53 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

London lifestyle - is that living in zone 4, 2 or 1? For a one bedroom apartment here, cost will be similar to Kensington; sharing a three-bed and it's Clapham-type prices. Alcohol is more expensive than anywhere outside the central London nightclubs, food is cheaper.

I had no problems driving a Yaris here - just give way when the 4x4s 'insist' on their right of way

I guess more of Business Bay might be finished by the end of the year - then you might be able to walk to work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.