Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is £75k a good salary for Dubai?

Is £75k a good salary for Dubai?

Old Dec 25th 2016, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

villageuser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is £75k a good salary for Dubai?

Got offered a job in Dubai which is £75k a year or AED 340,000 annually, roughly.

This is all in lump sum salary, up to me to decide how much to pay for an apartment etc. I've been doing research but still scratching my head on whether this is good or not.

Me: single, no commitments, ideally would like to get a 1 or 2bed apartment to myself in the Marina, enough to have fun but also want to save a good amount too. Does this salary work?
Old Dec 26th 2016, 10:23 am
Just Joined

johnarsu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is £75k a good salary for Dubai?

For a single person yes, if you were married and had kids of school age you would need more to cover the school fees.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 10:52 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

A huge amount? Are these new posters multiple accounts?

AED 28,333 pm is a reasonable salary for a single person but it depends on what they do. If they want to live sensibly then decent savings can be made.

At that level it is unwise to be spending over AED 100,000 a year on accommodation, so perhaps rethink having a two bed apartment or the location as The Marina is silly prices for a flat in a high density, high rise area.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

villageuser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
A huge amount? Are these new posters multiple accounts?

AED 28,333 pm is a reasonable salary for a single person but it depends on what they do. If they want to live sensibly then decent savings can be made.

At that level it is unwise to be spending over AED 100,000 a year on accommodation, so perhaps rethink having a two bed apartment or the location as The Marina is silly prices for a flat in a high density, high rise area.
Thanks guys for the replies. I do management consulting, about six years of experience. It's quite hard to benchmark DXB salaries for that industry and that many years of experience....

I am actually not that wowed by the Marina - not only is it high density but the traffic seems a bit hectic. I figured if my salary works for the Marina then I could find nicer (IMO) areas that are more peaceful yet cheaper...Business Bay could be quite handy I think...
Old Dec 27th 2016, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Not bad / pretty good for someone with only 6yrs experience.

You wouldn't struggle on 28K a month but as Meow says you need to be careful you don't spunk a good percentage of it away on an apartment.

A good approach would be to get a flat share for the first year. Prob 4-5k a month for an en suite room in the marina so will allow you to save and will accelerate the making friends stage.
Old Dec 27th 2016, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Is the salary quoted in AED or GBP?If you're thinking in terms of £s for savings, remember that the exchange rate can fluctuate. I've seen it at 6.1 which would make your AED340,000 = £56,000 instead of £75,000.
Old Dec 27th 2016, 9:08 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by villageuser
Thanks guys for the replies. I do management consulting, about six years of experience. It's quite hard to benchmark DXB salaries for that industry and that many years of experience....

I am actually not that wowed by the Marina - not only is it high density but the traffic seems a bit hectic. I figured if my salary works for the Marina then I could find nicer (IMO) areas that are more peaceful yet cheaper...Business Bay could be quite handy I think...
I think there are nicer areas than the Marina and if, as you seem to suggest, that somewhere like Business Bay is closer to work then look at that, or Downtown although that is a bit pricier. Both are decent and a short commute is preferable.

No need to commit yourself to a year's rent at outset and renting a room for a few months will give you time to suss out the city and decide where works for you. Don't forget that rent is not payable monthly, although you may find a quarterly payment option and that a deposit and agents fees are payable up front.

Good luck with your move.
Old Dec 27th 2016, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

£75k at today's rate off approx 4.50 = AED 337.5k, 28.1k p/m.
for a single person with no financial commitments back home, I think this is a pretty decent salary.
Your biggest expense will be accommodation and as the others have suggested, forget looking for a 2 bed in the marina. On that salary you don't have to resort to room/apartment share - you could pick up a nice 1 bed or even studio for around AED 80k, if not less.
Where would your offices be? - that will determine which area/areas would be suitable for you.