British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Meet-ups (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/)
-   -   San Diego Meet up early 2014 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/san-diego-meet-up-early-2014-a-821364/)

Ozzidoc Jan 29th 2014 6:12 pm

Re: San Diego Meet up early 2014

Thanks.

We like the Station. Happy to try Stone Brewing. Don't know Tower Two, but willing to give it a go.

Prefer not Shakey's.

I was thinking of bringing the husband and 4 year old....ie a mellow catch up/meet up rather than getting slaughtered...would that be ok? :)

Holliver Jan 29th 2014 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by FinnDiego (Post 11100077)
Right, let's plan for February 22nd so that this doesn't get forgotten again. I'm thinking afternoon, 3ish? 4ish?

Venues, here are a few thoughts:
  • Station Tavern in South Park. Pub - beer, burgers etc, less hipstery than Tiger!Tiger! but quite family friendly
  • Stone Brewing Liberty Station? Great outdoor space and bocce ball (!), but pretty limiting for those who don't want to drink beer. Food's pretty good but expensive.
  • Somewhere in OB - Tower Two maybe?
  • Shakespeare's. Not a fan of the food but pretty good space and variety.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the suggestions FinnDiego :regular_smile:

Is the food at Stone Liberty different to the food they offer at Stone in Escondido? I went recently and really didn't enjoy the food. Other than that I'm easy and don't mind trying new places. I've never been to any of the others.

Gillymonkey Jan 29th 2014 8:02 pm

I'm easy too as long as it is family friendly. I will be bringing my 5 month old :)

Also, is there a reason for the late meetup time? Could we not do around 1ish?

FinnDiego Jan 31st 2014 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey (Post 11103290)
I'm easy too as long as it is family friendly. I will be bringing my 5 month old :) Also, is there a reason for the late meetup time? Could we not do around 1ish?

I'm thinking Station Tavern then (http://stationtavern.com/) as long as everybody is happy enough with a menu that's basically burgers. I don't think Stone or a random OB pub are very family friendly. Neither South Park or Shakespeare's corner of Mission Hills is great for parking but early afternoon shouldn't be too bad... I'll just ride my bike anyway so what do I care? ;)

I'm happy with an earlier start if that works for everybody - I do draw the line at noon though. :lol: South Park also has a bunch of cool shops, coffee houses etc so if someone hasn't been there it's worth wandering through beforehand or afterwards.

I could use a pint of 30th Street right about now... Lucky for me it's trivia night!

Holliver Jan 31st 2014 1:58 am

Originally Posted by FinnDiego (Post 11105437)
I'm thinking Station Tavern then (http://stationtavern.com/) as long as everybody is happy enough with a menu that's basically burgers. I don't think Stone or a random OB pub are very family friendly. Neither South Park or Shakespeare's corner of Mission Hills is great for parking but early afternoon shouldn't be too bad... I'll just ride my bike anyway so what do I care? ;)

I'm happy with an earlier start if that works for everybody - I do draw the line at noon though. :lol: South Park also has a bunch of cool shops, coffee houses etc so if someone hasn't been there it's worth wandering through beforehand or afterwards.

I could use a pint of 30th Street right about now... Lucky for me it's trivia night!

Sounds good. So, shall we say 1pm then.

See you then :regular_smile:

Ozzidoc Feb 1st 2014 8:07 am

It's a date! :)

Saturday 22nd Feb, 1pm at The Station Tavern it is.

Cnr Fern and Ivy

http://stationtavern.com/

JUSTOLEME Feb 2nd 2014 2:30 am

Can anyone direct me where to go to try and find expats in Orange County , i live in rancho santa margarita but really would love to chat and meet up with expats.
Thanks for your help :)

Holliver Feb 2nd 2014 5:37 am

Originally Posted by JUSTOLEME (Post 11108589)
Can anyone direct me where to go to try and find expats in Orange County , i live in rancho santa margarita but really would love to chat and meet up with expats.
Thanks for your help :)

You could try searching and/or posting in the Meet-up section where you found this thread seeing if there is anyone from the OC there.

Leah326 Feb 16th 2014 3:37 pm

I think (?) I'm around on Saturday 22nd but it rings a bell for some reason. Hopefully I can make it out.

Gillymonkey Feb 20th 2014 9:47 pm

Hey,
Yes I am coming with hubby and our 6 month old.

Maybe we need a bit of a description of each other so we don't have that awkward moment trying to figure out where the table is?

I think I will be easy to spot with my 6 month old little boy, so just look for a really cute baby ha ha!

Ozzidoc Feb 20th 2014 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey (Post 11139904)
Hey,
Yes I am coming with hubby and our 6 month old.

Maybe we need a bit of a description of each other so we don't have that awkward moment trying to figure out where the table is?

I think I will be easy to spot with my 6 month old little boy, so just look for a really cute baby ha ha!

You'll know it's us :)

I'm the short, chubby late-30s-looking shoulder-length brunette with an Australian accent, with a shortish white Brit bloke who'll be wearing shorts and a hat, and we'll have our recalcitrant blonde 4 YO daughter with us :)

Gillymonkey Feb 20th 2014 10:19 pm

A Welsh friend of ours has just confirmed she is coming too. :)

FinnDiego Feb 20th 2014 11:10 pm

Just go around listening for accents, and co-opt anybody who doesn't sound American? Maybe we can make the group bigger. :)

Six feet and a bit, ponytail, black shirt, bicycle helmet and a strange accent.

Holliver Feb 21st 2014 2:59 am

I have to do a first aid thing on Saturday but I'm gonna join you after, around 3pm, I think.

Looking forward to it!

Ozzidoc Feb 21st 2014 9:33 pm

Yay - check your Karma messages for my number if anyone gets lost etc :)

We are looking forward to it :)